Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
My Ullmark for Kochketkov and a 2025 2nd rounder proposal doesn't look so bad now.

I have no idea what they'll get, but I'm relatively confident they'll make the best deal they can.

As the "NHL executive" notes however, the market for goaltenders is an odd one.

As strange, fittingly, as the position itself.

1717098185283.png

1717098125640.png

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Some forget how good PLD was for Columbus a few years ago. Yes red flags but the bruins need to take a chance because they have nothing in their system on the track to be a #1 center in near future.
Get ready for the Matthew Poitras comments
PlD was someone I always thought would have been a nice addition to the Bruins, skill, size . You are right he his first two years with Columbus, he was terrific, not only was he was he scoring but he was using his size playing physical and he was just 19, he also played well his first year in Winnepeg, I just don't get it, what happened to this kid. I have said if they could get a third team involved, and get that salary down if he would not be worth a shot.........

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
PlD was someone I always thought would have been a nice addition to the Bruins, skill, size . You are right he his first two years with Columbus, he was terrific, not only was he was he scoring but he was using his size playing physical and he was just 19, he also played well his first year in Winnepeg, I just don't get it, what happened to this kid. I have said if they could get a third team involved, and get that salary down if he would not be worth a shot.........
For seven years, even at a lower salary, that's not taking a shot. That's commitment.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's not likely, not that prospects are a sure thing. But we have two top goalie prospects, one who should be ready in 2 years (Cossa) the other maybe 1-2 year's after (Trey Augustine).

It's likely we go after a ufa stop gap for around a 2 year deal again.

Ullmark is only signed for one year. I never said Yzerman was bringing him in and signing him to a big extension. I don't think he'd be willing to pay a bounty for Ullmark.

I'm not saying his job is on the line, but 5 consecutive DNQs in I think Yzerman desperately wants to make the playoffs NEXT season.

As another fine poster pointed out, the UFA market for goalies this year is like skid row.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Have you looked at the UFA netminders though? Good luck with that lol.

It's not the wing's time yet. If Husso didn't get hurt so much we probably wouldn't need a ufa.

Ullmark is only signed for one year. I never said Yzerman was bringing him in and signing him to a big extension. I don't think he'd be willing to pay a bounty for Ullmark.

I'm not saying his job is on the line, but 5 consecutive DNQs in I think Yzerman desperately wants to make the playoffs NEXT season.

As another fine poster pointed out, the UFA market for goalies this year is like skid row.

He has no pressure. He is making sure we have a good nucleus of talent mostly on RFA's or 2nd contracts when in 2-3 years they start to make the playoffs consistently. We no longer are a tanking team, but his non 1st round picks for the first three drafts of his are only now soon to start making the team.

I don't disagree that the UFA class is underwhelming this year. However it will be a guy like Reimer was for us last year for a 1-2 year deal most likely. With fortunate progression from Cossa he could be ready for split time as early as next year.

The biggest problem is that we are inter divisional teams. Your team knows a lot about Ulman. Most/all his strengths and weaknesses. Plus with him only having 1 year remaining it's not like we could flip him for much at the deadline if the deal was done.

Last edited:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
My Ullmark for Kochketkov and a 2025 2nd rounder proposal doesn't look so bad now.
We have options, if we cannot get what we want this summer for Ullmark, keep him and trade him at the deadline.
I would love to see him go the Wings, add in Lindholm for Fabbri / Kasper and Walman, fair deal for both teams. We pick up 2.7M in cap space.
Walman becomes our #3 dee, play him with Carlo.
Fabbri fits in nice and replaces JDB and Kasper is the wild card center / may need another year in the AHL?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's not the wing's time yet. If Husso didn't get hurt so much we probably wouldn't need a ufa.

He has no pressure. He is making sure we have a good nucleus of talent mostly on RFA's or 2nd contracts when in 2-3 years they start to make the playoffs consistently. We no longer are a tanking team, but his non 1st round picks for the first three drafts of his are only now soon to start making the team.

I don't disagree that the UFA class is underwhelming this year. However it will be a guy like Reimer was for us last year for a 1-2 year deal most likely. With fortunate progression from Cossa he could be ready for split time as early as next year.

He may have zero pressure, but despite his soft-spoken demeanor, Steve Yzerman is a competitive MF'er, you don't accomplish what he did as a player if he's not. Guaranteed it burns him to miss the playoffs, especially missing by a thread and and I don't think it's a stretch at all for him to think that a more reliable goaltending situation and they would of been a playoff team.

I don't think he's about to bend over backwards or offer up some massive return. But I'd be surprised if there isn't interest on his end to find a true upgrade in net, even if it's only in the short term.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He may have zero pressure, but despite his soft-spoken demeanor, Steve Yzerman is a competitive MF'er, you don't accomplish what he did as a player if he's not. Guaranteed it burns him to miss the playoffs, especially missing by a thread and and I don't think it's a stretch at all for him to think that a more reliable goaltending situation and they would of been a playoff team.

I don't think he's about to bend over backwards or offer up some massive return. But I'd be surprised if there isn't interest on his end to find a true upgrade in net, even if it's only in the short term.
I also find it crazy that somehow he has "zero pressure". #Yzerplan.

Reactions: BruinDust

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

I'm not discounting his competitive drive. But this last year, it was more a anomaly, until the end of the year when Larkin got hurt was a fortunate year for the wing's as far as dealing with adversity goes. The DRW's are getting closer to finishing the rebuild, but we are still 1-2 years off of being a consistent playoff team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I want NOTHING whatever to do with PLD, a guy who has everything the Bruins need but a heart.

For whatever reason, he's a miserable "locker room cancer" wherever he goes. Three organizations and counting.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I want NOTHING whatever to do with PLD, a guy who has everything the Bruins need but a heart.

For whatever reason, he's a miserable "locker room cancer" wherever he goes. Three organizations and counting.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.
HAHA............Hookslide saves

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I also find it crazy that somehow he has "zero pressure". #Yzerplan.

It would be like if Ray Borque accepted a Bruins gm position 1-2 year's into a rebuild with minimal assets. He has a ton of stock built up from past experiences. The ownership loves him, as do the fans. Yes we have some kids towards the end of our run who are a little impatient complaining, but when the cupard is bare it takes time to gather talent again.

If anything your organization is closest to what our franchise run was with 20+ year's of excellence. Eventually you hit a dry streak on collecting talent because 20+ first round prospects are not hitting the league witrhin 1-2 year's of being drafted. And when you are stuck on E as far as talent goes it takes time. It didn't help either that not once when we where actively tanking we didn't get a lottery pick either.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The question with Poitras in the NHL is: will he be physically ready? As we saw this season, once opponents began game planning for him they were hitting him hard and frequently. And ultimately he ended up needing surgery.
Yeah kids needs to get stronger he scared the crap out of me every time he was on the ice that he was going to get killed,and when he went to play with the juniors it was the same thing,maybe Marchand could teach him how to be stronger on his skates.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Carolina might be fine letting Necas go. It depends on whether or not they sign Guentzel I think in terms of their cap and what's left.
Maybe? I'd take Guenztal over Necas as well. But if the Cap is the issue then Ullmark washes out what Necas will get in arbitration ...so they're left with the same problem unless they want a young cost controlled guy we have for Nacas and not Ullmark

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
I have no idea what they'll get, but I'm relatively confident they'll make the best deal they can.

As the "NHL executive" notes however, the market for goaltenders is an odd one.

As strange, fittingly, as the position itself.

View attachment 877550

View attachment 877549
Terry Sawchuk is a distant relative of mine. He would hang out at my family's house in Winnipeg.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Andersen's "3rd worst SV% in the playoffs this year" is still better than Ullmark's career playoff SV%.

Either playoff SV% matters or it doesn't. If it does matter than Andersen, Saros and Markstrom all have better career playoff SV%.

Obviously, the attraction to Ullmark is last year's Vezina and his regular seasons since coming to BOS. But if people keep saying that CAR needs to have a goaltender that's better than Freddy in the playoffs, offering a guy who has been worse in the playoffs is a weird thing.
You know whats not weird though...Elliotte Friedman confirming the Hurricanes had conversations with the Bruins at the TDL for Ullmark

So you can think that Ullmark isn't an upgrade over Andersen as much as you want but it doesn't take away the fact their former GM thinks differently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad