Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not sure why Geekie s name is being mentioned. He was a bright spot this playoffs.
I can see it if it's like a Haula for Zacha deal. Assuming they bring in a #1 C Geekie would join a crowded field of bottom 6 forwards. If he can return more bang for the buck somewhere else in the lineup then it'd make sense.

Reactions: bbfan419

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Watching him go through the motions at the recent World Championships was stomach-turning. The Bruins fans would turn on him within a month. I didn't see him skate hard one single time. No doubt he has talent. In interviews he says the right things, sounds like he cares but then you see the lack of effort and you realize he's all talk.

Sometimes lazy can be fixed but when you combine lazy with selfish, good luck.
It's too bad because in those early years he was everything they need and would love to have.

Reactions: BruinDust

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The New Jersey Devils have addressed one of their top priorities this offseason, finally naming a head coach. Next, they’ll look to address their next most important need, most likely via a Devils trade.

Goaltending.

General Manager Tom Fitzgerald was in hot pursuit of a Devils trade, exploring goaltending upgrade options for at least half of the 2023-24 campaign before ultimately landing on Jake Allen and Kaapo Kahkonen, albeit, a little too late.

In fact, new head coach Sheldon Keefe even went as far as to explain that he’s already had conversations with Fitzgerald about improving the Devils’ goaltending.

“[Fitzgerald] communicated to me that improving in goal, the depth in goal is going to be very important,” Keefe said on an episode of The Jeff Marek Show. “The experience of a veteran like Jake Allen here is really good. You can see how proactive Tom was towards the trade deadline to make changes in goal.”

There’s a belief that Fitzgerald will re-engage in trade discussions with Calgary Flames GM Craig Conroy for goaltender Jacob Markstrom.

However, much like how Fitzgerald conducted his coaching search, he’ll cast a wide net this summer exploring additional starting goaltending options.

As reported by Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Citizen, New Jersey was one of several teams who inquired about Boston Bruins goaltender Linus Ullmark with the hopes of bringing a Devils trade to fruition.

At one point, it sounds like Bruin GM Don Sweeney agreed to a trade with one of the inquiring teams, potentially the Devils, although it’s believed Ullmark nixed a trade to the Los Angeles Kings.

Now, the Ullmark rumor mill is churning again. Although Sweeney doesn’t publicly negotiate, he also recognized at exit meetings that the Bruins committed to Jeremy Swayman and management may have to field phone calls for the 2022-23 Vezina Trophy winner.

If Fitzgerald is going to re-engage Devils trade talks for Ullmark, they won’t be the only ones. According to Elliotte Friedman via 32 Thoughts the Podcast, New Jersey’s Division rival, the Carolina Hurricanes, also spoke about a potential Ullmark deal.

Carolina is going through major changes after Don Waddell stepped down as the Hurricanes’ GM. Further, there’s speculation that they could end up trading forward Martin Necas as part of what sounds like major surgery to the Hurricanes’ roster this summer.

Speaking of Necas, Bruins reporter Ty Anderson wonders if the Czech forward could be involved in a deal for Ullmark that would see an NHL return for both teams.

In addition to the Hurricanes, the Ottawa Senators are another team that will reportedly be in the mix for Ullmark. Similarly to the Canes, the Senators have an elite NHL-caliber player who has a foggy future in Jakob Chychrun.

In other words, the Bruins — if they deal Ullmark — will seemingly have options for a valuable return.

If Fitzgerald is going to match the first-round caliber return, he can start with the 10th overall selection at the upcoming NHL Draft. Or, he can dangle a player like Alexander Holtz, drafted seventh overall in 2020, however, his value is going to be far lower than what Carolina or Ottawa can offer.

Ullmark’s cost acquisition is seemingly high. Fitzgerald does have several routes he can explore this offseason, however, likely with Markstrom as previously mentioned, and Juuse Saros whom we know the Devils inquired about during the 2023-24 season.

And those are just some of the names we know about. We’ll see how things shake out, potentially as soon as the NHL Draft.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's too bad because in those early years he was everything they need and would love to have.

When he was in CBJ he absolutely looked like the real deal. A legit No.1 C who could do pretty much everything. Then he quit on them.

Seems to blame a lot of his first season struggles with a new team on everyone else. Almost like if you trade for him, write off that first season and pray he rebounds in his 2nd year.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
When he was in CBJ he absolutely looked like the real deal. A legit No.1 C who could do pretty much everything. Then he quit on them.

Seems to blame a lot of his first season struggles with a new team on everyone else. Almost like if you trade for him, write off that first season and pray he rebounds in his 2nd year.

Too big a gamble for my blood, but with some air tight coaching and veteran team leadership maybe he turns it back around somewhere.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
The fact that the cap is reportedly going up pretty significantly, coupled with his faceoff and defensive abilities makes me worry less than I would otherwise.

Most agree that Coyle is a good 3C, even if he is a little overpaid.

4/5 years from now, maybe Lindholm is that slightly overpaid 3C.

But hopefully for the next 3/4 years he’s the 1C that this team needs while Pasta and Zacha are firmly in their prime.
I agree with this. I think the hypothetical contract will look bad, yet I still think Boston should do it.

I want to have my cake and eat it, too. Why else would someone want cake?

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm curious to see what Colorado is going to do. Assuming Landeskog comes back, CF has them at about $9.7 million in cap space with only 15 players counting against the cap. Do they have the space to re-sign Mittelstadt?

Few other RFA names I'd throw out there...

Kaapo Kakko - Just hasn't seemed to work w/ the Rangers outside of a 40pt season last year. LS RW that has a solid 200ft game that could use a change of scenery

Barrett Hayton - Mentioned him before. Not sure what Utah is going to do, but would they try and use Hayton as a trade chip to build a playoff contender?

Arthur Kaliyev - Seemed to be a healthy scratch for most of the 2nd half and almost the entire Kings playoff run. Saw a big drop in production this past season to 15pts after being a fringe 30pt guy the two year prior. Still really young at 22yrs old

Oliver Wahlstrom - like Kaliyev he was a healthy scratch for a lot of the season, as well as the entire playoffs for NYI. Could be a guy that doesn't even get a QO from the NYI. Has decent size and can get into the dirty areas

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
There is also the potential he gets bought out come end of June. Yes it’s a red flag and big gamble but #1c don’t come around often or ever so to me it’s worth the risk.

I don’t know why they traded for him in the first place LAK seem to have some good centers in their system and need to resign Byfield in the coming years.

I don't know that I'd consider him a 1C by my definition. If you look at his P/GP over the last 3 seasons among NHL centers with at least 100gp, he ranks 56th with a 0.69 P/GP. For reference, Zacha over that same timeframe sits at 0.67 P/GP. I don't think anyone here would call Zacha a 1C

Reactions: khanomcat

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I didn't think it would go over well but its a far more realistic of a return than what I've seen proposed thus far. The alternative is just take the (late) 1st rounder instead of a 2nd and forget Kochketkov but I'm a big fan of him and his contract. I'd prefer 2025 picks over 2024 picks whether that is a 1st or 2nd.

I don't think you are getting an everyday player(skater) for Ullmark anyways. Maybe Chychrun but that's only because he's a UFA next summer too and Ottawa probably knows deep down he ain't re-signing. UFA for UFA deal. All this talk of guys like Necas, Jarvis, Pinto, Holloway, Mercer, etc. etc. are pipe dreams IMO. If it's an everyday player it's going to be a young guy with some question marks. Alexander Holtz in New Jersey would be an example.

Kochketkov is younger, more proven, and right now better than Bussi.

If they can get a 3rd or 4th for Bussi, a guy signed out of the NCAA as a free agent two years ago, thats a great return on investment.

This boards expectations for a Ullmark trade are far too high and my guess is most will be disappointed with the eventual return if he's dealt.
I have a difference of opinion with you on the value of netminder returns this year. I agree that over the past several years the returns have been underwhelming.

But with the cap going up, the landscape changes some. And even more importantly, there are several teams whose goaltending woes have become acute, and will absolutely need to make a change. New Jersey in effect bagged their season because they waited too long to address it (perhaps they tried but couldn't pull it off). Kings, Senators, Maple Leafs, and Hurricanes are right there. Carolina has become frustrated with Freddy (third worst SV% in the playoffs this year) and it seems that goaltending continues to hold them back. They're mentioned in every media report about goalies for a reason. And that's just the obvious candidates - teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and others are potentially in the market as well.

That's the demand side. On the supply side, you have Markstrom, Ullmark, and possibly Saros. Then a drop to a second tier of available goalies. You can try to bargain bin but you could end up with Korpisalo like Ottawa did.

Markstrom is 34 but does have one more year. Saros and Ullmark both make $5M and both would need extensions to move (or at least the team would need one to make a big trade for them).

Futures are certainly a possibility for any of them. But Carolina or especially Toronto aren't really in a great position to offer those.

I think there's a great chance of a Ullmark for a roster play scenario playing out. And I think your expectation of return is quite low given this year's landscape. But...just a difference of opinion - you very well may be right.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have a difference of opinion with you on the value of netminder returns this year. I agree that over the past several years the returns have been underwhelming.

But with the cap going up, the landscape changes some. And even more importantly, there are several teams whose goaltending woes have become acute, and will absolutely need to make a change. New Jersey in effect bagged their season because they waited too long to address it (perhaps they tried but couldn't pull it off). Kings, Senators, Maple Leafs, and Hurricanes are right there. Carolina has become frustrated with Freddy (third worst SV% in the playoffs this year) and it seems that goaltending continues to hold them back. They're mentioned in every media report about goalies for a reason. And that's just the obvious candidates - teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and others are potentially in the market as well.

That's the demand side. On the supply side, you have Markstrom, Ullmark, and possibly Saros. Then a drop to a second tier of available goalies. You can try to bargain bin but you could end up with Korpisalo like Ottawa did.

Markstrom is 34 but does have one more year. Saros and Ullmark both make $5M and both would need extensions to move (or at least the team would need one to make a big trade for them).

Futures are certainly a possibility for any of them. But Carolina or especially Toronto aren't really in a great position to offer those.

I think there's a great chance of a Ullmark for a roster play scenario playing out. And I think your expectation of return is quite low given this year's landscape. But...just a difference of opinion - you very well may be right.

Even if the reality is somewhere in the middle, who are they getting out of Carolina or Toronto?

I think Necas or Jarvis is a complete pipe dream. Carolina is not a deep organization moving forward. I think they have significant issues up front and on D in both the short and long-term.

Same with Toronto. Who are the Bruins getting? Forget Matthew Knies. I could see a package including Nick Robertson. Cowan or Mintin would be adequate return but that still more future oriented and they will be hard to pry out of TO. The funny part about Toronto is Boston may be reluctant to give them a goalie, meanwhile, Calgary seem to want nothing to do with trading with Treliving. Saros might be their best and only option.

I think Ottawa and Chychrun is doable. Pinto is untouchable IMO with all the question surrounding Josh Norris's health. Grieg is highly valued as well.

New Jersey I can see Holtz or Bahl. I don't think Mercer or Nemec is realistic (especially Nemec he's untouchable IMO).

LA my guess if Laferriere, Kaliyev and maybe Jordan Spence on D.

Detroit I see Joe Veleno and that's pretty much it.

Pittsburgh is my darkhorse. I think they've lost faith in Jarry and don't want to waste any more Crosby years. Would they do Marcus Petterson for Ullmark (UFA for UFA similar to Ullmark for Chychrun)?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Even if the reality is somewhere in the middle, who are they getting out of Carolina or Toronto?

I think Necas or Jarvis is a complete pipe dream. Carolina is not a deep organization moving forward. I think they have significant issues up front and on D in both the short and long-term.

Same with Toronto. Who are the Bruins getting? Forget Matthew Knies. I could see a package including Nick Robertson. Cowan or Mintin would be adequate return but that still more future oriented and they will be hard to pry out of TO. The funny part about Toronto is Boston may be reluctant to give them a goalie, meanwhile, Calgary seem to want nothing to do with trading with Treliving. Saros might be their best and only option.

I think Ottawa and Chychrun is doable. Pinto is untouchable IMO with all the question surrounding Josh Norris's health. Grieg is highly valued as well.

New Jersey I can see Holtz or Bahl. I don't think Mercer or Nemec is realistic (especially Nemec he's untouchable IMO).

LA my guess if Laferriere, Kaliyev and maybe Jordan Spence on D.

Detroit I see Joe Veleno and that's pretty much it.

Pittsburgh is my darkhorse. I think they've lost faith in Jarry and don't want to waste any more Crosby years. Would they do Marcus Petterson for Ullmark (UFA for UFA similar to Ullmark for Chychrun)?
Yeah we’re not trading with Toronto - so moot point other than they’ll be in competition for any other goalie other than Ullmark which drives prices up.

Again, I think your off on value. Kaliyev may need even get a QO. A deal around Necas for Ullmark is absolutely in the realm of possibility, though of course that could be Saros or Markstrom instead. I just think you’re low on value all around.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Where are the Toronto mentions coming from? Especially with the new playoff format, I’ve seen too much of Rask, and too little of whatever goaltending scenario they’ve had for the past decade+ to ever consider trading a goalie within the division.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Where are the Toronto mentions coming from? Especially with the new playoff format, I’ve seen too much of Rask, and too little of whatever goaltending scenario they’ve had for the past decade+ to ever consider trading a goalie within the division.
They’re in the market for a goalie, which helps the return for Ullmark indirectly. If, for example, the rumored Marner-Saros package happens, then that’s one fewer goalie for NJD/LAK/CAR/OTT to chase. We’re not trading Ullmark to them.

Reactions: Dellstrom

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think the goal for the top 6 should be:

Zacha - Poitras - Pastrnak
Marchand - Lindholm - Necas-level winger

If Poitras falters, he goes down to the 3rd line and Lindholm and Coyle move up. I do have my worries regarding term on Lindholm's deal, but he would be the best available top 6C to lean on while Poitras develops his game.

Reactions: HustleB

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

If Poitras falters, he goes down to the 3rd line and Lindholm and Coyle move up. I do have my worries regarding term on Lindholm's deal, but he would be the best available top 6C to lean on while Poitras develops his game.
Not only on the first line, but also at center?

Ideally, Poitras plays 3rd line wing and gets very strategically slotted into a center spot here and there. No chance I give him that responsibility off the rip though. That's asking for trouble

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Not only on the first line, but also at center?

Ideally, Poitras plays 3rd line wing and gets very strategically slotted into a center spot here and there. No chance I give him that responsibility off the rip though. That's asking for trouble
Someone here can correct me, but I don't believe he has played any other position than center. I believe he only played center on the Bruins prior to his injury. I think it also was Sweeney who said the organization views him as a center. If there are questions regarding his strength on draws, he'll be on a line with Zacha or Frederic and Geekie who can help. He has played with all four forwards prior to his injury.

Marchand - Lindholm - Necas as a line could arguably be considered a 1st line. It's going to make opposing teams' lives a harder when they decide who they want their best defensemen to defend against.

Again, Frederic - Poitras - Geekie as a 3rd line will work just as well. Bruins need two top 6F, one preferably being a center. Because of his two-way game, acquring Lindholm would allow the Bruins to integrate Poitras into the lineup.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Best case scenario is that Poitras wows again in camp, has a significant jump in his year two, and takes control of the #1 center position and the talk about getting one ends and the Bruins are able to spend that money elsewhere on the roster.

I just can't see that happening. I think Poitras is a fine young player but he still has a lot to prove and the Bruins will most likely try to acquire a prime aged player to take the #1 spot instead of resting their hopes on a 20 year old kid.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm curious to see what Colorado is going to do. Assuming Landeskog comes back, CF has them at about $9.7 million in cap space with only 15 players counting against the cap. Do they have the space to re-sign Mittelstadt?

Barrett Hayton - Mentioned him before. Not sure what Utah is going to do, but would they try and use Hayton as a trade chip to build a playoff contender?
I don't think he's untouchable at all. They'd be looking for an NHL Dman.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

But with the cap going up, the landscape changes some. And even more importantly, there are several teams whose goaltending woes have become acute, and will absolutely need to make a change. New Jersey in effect bagged their season because they waited too long to address it (perhaps they tried but couldn't pull it off). Kings, Senators, Maple Leafs, and Hurricanes are right there. Carolina has become frustrated with Freddy (third worst SV% in the playoffs this year) and it seems that goaltending continues to hold them back.
Andersen's "3rd worst SV% in the playoffs this year" is still better than Ullmark's career playoff SV%.

Either playoff SV% matters or it doesn't. If it does matter than Andersen, Saros and Markstrom all have better career playoff SV%.

Obviously, the attraction to Ullmark is last year's Vezina and his regular seasons since coming to BOS. But if people keep saying that CAR needs to have a goaltender that's better than Freddy in the playoffs, offering a guy who has been worse in the playoffs is a weird thing.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Andersen's "3rd worst SV% in the playoffs this year" is still better than Ullmark's career playoff SV%.

Either playoff SV% matters or it doesn't. If it does matter than Andersen, Saros and Markstrom all have better career playoff SV%.

Obviously, the attraction to Ullmark is last year's Vezina and his regular seasons since coming to BOS. But if people keep saying that CAR needs to have a goaltender that's better than Freddy in the playoffs, offering a guy who has been worse in the playoffs is a weird thing.
Sure, if it's some sort of binary where the only thing Carolina will do in evaluating a goalie is look at their SV%. I'm not making up that Carolina wants to make a change at goalie - it's everywhere. I'm also not making up that Carolina inquired about Ullmark at the deadline - it's everywhere. Do they ultimately decide to either get Markstrom, Saros, or someone else? Do they decide to stand pat with Freddy and Kochetkov? Sure, it can happen. But making it seem like Ullmark would never possibly be on their radar is incorrect.

Carolina apparently is done with Freddy given his durability issues as well as his performance in the playoffs. I wouldn't scoff at the idea that they'd consider Ullmark at all.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I think they need a guy who is better, which I believe Ullmark is.

But I understand the contradiction, given his playoff stats.

The one factor in Linus’ favor is that he’s only played 10 playoff games to Andersen’s 25.

Not a significant difference, but a difference nonetheless.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Just because he is a year older does not mean he is NHL ready, he loss quite a bit of learning time last year, I do not think some AHL time would hurt his development, I also want to see how he holds up of a full season in the pros.
personally I thought he looked fine at the NHL level last season. Which is why I just don't see it unless he somehow regressed. Keep him developing with the big club. If he struggles send him down, but I'm fairly against starting him in Providence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad