2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Remember with Edmonton that Holland giving a 1st for a rental is something he said he won’t do (and hasn’t since Quincey, I think).

GMs are liars, but it seems like something he’s not fond of.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Tell me who do we get with decent term (not 31 yr old Orlov looking for 6 years) that is the same of better than Gavrikov without overpaying for worse talent this summer. We needed this last year and didn’t get it done. I feel Jarmo is a decent evaluator but sucks at negotiations.
We don't know who they are asking for. For all we know AZ could have their sights set on Johnson or Jiricek.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
We don't know who they are asking for. For all we know AZ could have their sights set on Johnson or Jiricek.
The deal was in place over the summer and that was before we drafted Jiricek (so we know it wasn’t him) and I highly doubt it was Johnson (LD for a Center/Winger - nah) as well.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The deal was in place over the summer and that was before we drafted Jiricek (so we know it wasn’t him) and I highly doubt it was Johnson (LD for a Center/Winger - nah) as well.
Player evaluations change, I would imagine teams that wanted Ros towards the end of least season don't feel the same way now.

Do we know what the deal was?

Reactions: majormajor

Longtime Local

Sep 7, 2021
If I remember correctly, I think Friedman mentioned in 32 thoughts shortly after the PLD trade that WPG was interested in Gavrikov, but he wasn’t available at the time. Wonder if there is still interest.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tell me who do we get with decent term (not 31 yr old Orlov looking for 6 years) that is the same or better than Gavrikov without overpaying for worse talent this summer. We needed this last year and didn’t get it done. I feel Jarmo is a decent evaluator but sucks at negotiations.

I would have preferred to keep Gavy - just for the record

Gavrikov just isn’t signing an extension

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Jarmo overplayed his hand and team went elsewhere? Shocker

Jarmo can't do anything about it if the other team is dangling a much better player. The only thing he can do is drop his price to like a 2nd+, but he can still get that so calm down.

Or it was "done but not yet through" because we were a backup plan.

I'm pretty sure that was it. Boston gave us a framework for a deal and then looked for a better player, specifically Chychrun and Orlov.

Are we nervous that Gavrikov will still be returning a first?

It's just a return to reality that the market is flooded this year and we probably can't get a 1st. Don't be nervous just adjust your expectations.

So if Boston is done. Where’s he off to now?

I could see Florida. That could be where he wants to sign long term, the only issue was that they didn't have a 1st to buy with. But if the price comes down to 2nd+3rd then they might jump into it.

Player evaluations change, I would imagine teams that wanted Ros towards the end of least season don't feel the same way now.

Do we know what the deal was?

For Chychrun? It involved the 12th OA pick that we ended up using on Mateychuk. They wanted that pick to get Geekie. They traded up to 11th after the deal with us fell through. It was probably the 12th pick plus another piece (maybe Boqvist or Ceulemans).

A bit premature, but: If Jarmo whiffs at the trade deadline and we lose assets for next to nothing, he needs to be fired.

I can think of several reasons why he should be fired - Gudbranson, Bjorkstrand, ruining Sillinger, etc... - but deadline trades has generally not been his problem. He got two 1sts a couple years ago when the market allowed it, it's not his fault if the market isn't there this year.

Only we (here atHF) thought the team was in on Chychrun.

And Elliotte. This time it was all speculation but we know they were close to acquiring Chychrun last summer.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Yeah another deadline come and wasted right, just like always?
not getting a first rounder for gavrikov would be a bad look, but i BIG TIME disagree with this narrative.

they got matt duchene (and more) in 2019. the year before that, they got vanek (who had 15 points in 19 games – he was really good here!). 2021 they got firsts for savard and foligno.

the only duds are 19-20 (bubble team, no big pending UFA assets, no reason to go all-in) and last year (max domi sucks harder than the toilet in an airplane bathroom)

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
What are Kekalainen’s options? Edmonton, Los Angeles, and Toronto are all said to be seeking help on defense, but it’s possible that the Gavrikov return will be minimized now that there are fewer teams involved in the bidding.

The Blue Jackets wanted to get the Gavrikov trade done well ahead of the trade deadline, two sources told The Athletic, so that they could potentially flip the first-round pick from Boston in a trade with Arizona for defenseman Jakob Chychrun.

Chychrun has been on the market for more than a year now, and he’s considered a likely candidate to move before March 3. The Coyotes’ asking price reportedly includes a first-round draft pick, so the Blue Jackets need to add that if they’re going to get in the running.

There’s no way they’re trading their own first-round draft pick this year, which could very well be No. 1 overall. Thursday’s loss, coupled with Anaheim’s win over the Capitals, dropped the Blue Jackets back into last overall place in the league.

The Blue Jackets have had an on-again, off-again flirtation with the Coyotes involving Chychrun, beginning at last summer’s draft in Montreal.

It was reported then that Arizona GM Bill Armstrong and Kekalainen had a deal worked out for Chychrun, but that Chychrun wanted to be traded to a playoff contender, not a club that’s retooling with young players. The deal was eventually nixed.

When the Blue Jackets signed free agent forward Johnny Gaudreau last summer, however, Chychrun gave the OK for the Coyotes to resume trade talks with Columbus. But they didn’t seem to go anywhere.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Jackets 2nd rounder is only going to be a few spots after Boston's 1st, so the lack of an extra 1st shouldn't matter that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad