2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Again, my biggest concern is the goaltending.

I agree we don’t have a goalie, but goalies are different. You have all these weird things like Binnington or Dubnyk being a Vezina finalist after being traded to the Wild. I think I can live with a free agent and Tarasov for the next couple of years. And maybe hit up free agency again in a couple of years. I would like to use a high pick on a goalie and let them develop. Maybe we could become good and then have a young cost controlled goalie (like Vasilevskiy or Murray) come in and help get the job done.

Reactions: Xoggz22

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
While I don’t think Chychrun is the “perfect” target to add to the defense, other than him being LH instead of RH, I’m not sure how much better we could get. He could be a little better/focused on D, but, I think we need good 2-way/versatile guys back there, which I’d say he is.

That’s 1 of the main points people make regarding big moves/trades, is the question of what is realistically possible or available. Taking that into account, if he wants to come to the CBJ, I think you do almost whatever is necessary to try to add him.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I agree we don’t have a goalie, but goalies are different. You have all these weird things like Binnington or Dubnyk being a Vezina finalist after being traded to the Wild. I think I can live with a free agent and Tarasov for the next couple of years. And maybe hit up free agency again in a couple of years. I would like to use a high pick on a goalie and let them develop. Maybe we could become good and then have a young cost controlled goalie (like Vasilevskiy or Murray) come in and help get the job done.
I won't disagree in general, however, I don't see anything but Elvis and Tarasov for at least the next 2 years. Maybe Elvis is Binnington... He has the ability to be a good one. Unfortunately he also has a contract that says he should be a good one and currently isn't, making it very, very hard to move. And there is no way CBJ buys him out to have him on the books for 8 years. Nor do they bury him in the minors and continue to pay him with $4.5MM AAV against the cap (or close to that) by burying him. If you are set against moving assets for Chychrun, we're in a worse position for trying to move Elvis as he would cost significant assets to move if you're not taking a shit contract back of equivalent craptastic nature (and still detrimental to playing players to develop).

I get where you are coming from though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Werenski is signes and I'm not sure whether is good to have two similar players.

I would take two Werenski's, yes. That's an easy one.

I won't disagree in general, however, I don't see anything but Elvis and Tarasov for at least the next 2 years. Maybe Elvis is Binnington... He has the ability to be a good one. Unfortunately he also has a contract that says he should be a good one and currently isn't, making it very, very hard to move. And there is no way CBJ buys him out to have him on the books for 8 years. Nor do they bury him in the minors and continue to pay him with $4.5MM AAV against the cap (or close to that) by burying him. If you are set against moving assets for Chychrun, we're in a worse position for trying to move Elvis as he would cost significant assets to move if you're not taking a shit contract back of equivalent craptastic nature (and still detrimental to playing players to develop).

I get where you are coming from though.

I wouldn't "bury" Elvis in the minors but I wouldn't mind sending him to Cleveland until he works his form back into shape. Then if he recovers you've got your starter figured out, and if he doesn't recover then you don't have to worry about him dragging down the big club.

All this fuss about contracts is misplaced. If you're at a restaurant and the food is making you sick, stop eating it. "But I paid a lot of money for this!" shouldn't factor in at all. You sign contracts and then forget about it, they're all sunk costs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
i think werenski would rather be a core player on a potential contender (i.e. one that also has chychrun) than being the only good defenseman on a bad team.

jiricek doesn't have much else to prove at the AHL level. imo something like this would be significantly stronger and still keep enough assets free to pursue a quality center:

werenski - jiricek
chychrun - boqvist
blankenburg - gudbranson
bean/whoever

you could basically deploy the top two pairs like they're both the #1 pair (22-24 minutes per night) and move blankenburg up for a few shifts here and there if boqvist and jiricek need a breather. lean really hard on having two all-star quality LHDs.

funny how the analytics on gavrikov were really good actually under torts and are now really bad under larsen on a really, really bad team.

two deadlines ago, dom had brandon montour as one of the worst players in the entire league, saying he'd "likely struggle regardless of role" – now, on the panthers, dom's model has montour as one of the best defensemen in the league.

meanwhile, a film study of gavrikov shows that he consistently makes nice plays, but they end up not working out because his supporting cast is so bad.

the folly of guys like dom and jfresh is that they try to use limited public-sphere, results-focused data to distill a player's value into a single number, then take that number as gospel vis a vis who that player is, but in doing so they're misapplying statistics by failing to account for HUGE variables.

these models consistently overrate role players on good teams and paint a highly inaccurate picture of players who get huge minutes (particularly defensemen) on bad teams. montour is one example, but the model also had drew doughty as one of the worst defensemen in the league when the kings were bad, now they say he's good again.
And they constantly and consistently write off folks pointing that out with the excuse of "well, he was playing badly, therefore the team was bad; now that he's playing well, the team is good, duh."

It's confirmation bias that they refuse to correct for and it's maddening.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I love how much the bruin fans do not want Gavrikov. You can find fans of the team saying they'd rather have (insert any defenseman here) who's available and they will say he is better than Gavrikov. It's quite hilarious actually. Maybe they should go after Jack Johnson

• Haha
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I love how much the bruin fans do not want Gavrikov. You can find fans of the team saying they'd rather have (insert any defenseman here) who's available and they will say he is better than Gavrikov. It's quite hilarious actually. Maybe they should go after Jack Johnson
none of the discourse is even coming from people who are familiar with gavrikov.

dom at the athletic today said gavrikov is another in a line of deadline defensemen who "play nasty, handle the grind, and strike fear into their opponents" – that's not gavrikov's game at all. he's a stick defender who is really good at forcing guys to the outside when they have the puck.

i'm convinced that people just look at his size and see that his player type is 'defensive defensemen' in the NHL video games and just assume he's some turnstile who throws hip checks or something.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Honestly, if we were on pace for 60+ wins, I don’t know if I would be interested in any changes to the team

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Honestly, if we were on pace for 60+ wins, I don’t know if I would be interested in any changes to the team
They are also the same fans that bring up the amount of defensemen that seem to get hurt every playoff run for them.

Tampa was also a team that didnt make major changes after a cakewalk of a season and got swept. Next season they started making big moves and won 2 Cups. Boston probably doesnt have nearly as much runway as Tampa did with the age of some of the core so I think going for it now makes all the sense in the world.

Reactions: MissADD

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
But the thing is they are willing to add and want to add, but the complete mischaractization of the type of player Gavrikov
is just hilarious

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
none of the discourse is even coming from people who are familiar with gavrikov.

dom at the athletic today said gavrikov is another in a line of deadline defensemen who "play nasty, handle the grind, and strike fear into their opponents" – that's not gavrikov's game at all. he's a stick defender who is really good at forcing guys to the outside when they have the puck.

i'm convinced that people just look at his size and see that his player type is 'defensive defensemen' in the NHL video games and just assume he's some turnstile who throws hip checks or something.
I know "stop looking at spreadsheets and actually watch games" is a horribly cliched and egregiously overused reply, but honest to G-d sometimes it legitimately applies.

Reactions: cslebn and Xoggz22

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just saw an email saying Caps scratched Orlov for trade considerations and that Boston is/may be in on him. I really wish Gavy would be sent somewhere and soon. Getting nervous.

The email was a Dreger tweet if someone on Twitter wants to find it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I am taking on a contract, not signing a new person. There has to be a left D out there that makes more than his fair share in a flat cap world that can bridge us until our young D are ready.

The problem with this scenario is Chychrun will not be in Columbus when Jiricek is a true top pair defenseman and Ceulemans is hopefully a decent second pair guy. And if he is, you’ll be paying him Werenski type money. And that is too much to invest in two left D.

Personally I don’t think Jarmo and JD should be allowed to stick around, so I don’t think they should be too worried about the Jackets’ future.

A) How many teams could give Chychrun a better defense to grow up with?
That’s an elite top3 in the making.

B) Why shouldn’t they?
Do you have major issues with how this rebuild has gone?
They’ve build up a top tier prospect pool in 2 years time and added superstar from the market.
I’d say the rebuild looks pretty damm good longterm wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad