2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Blaming the Bruins for a deal that didnt happen makes 0 sense. Their GM took the best deal, Id expect ours to do the same. Never assume something will be done until its written on paper.
Frank Seravalli - Daily FaceOff

4. Vladislav Gavrikov
Left Defense, Columbus Blue Jackets
Stats: 52 GP, 3 G, 7 A, 10 Pts
Contract: Pending UFA, $2.8 million AAV
Scoop: Like Chychrun, Gavrikov has been pulled from the Blue Jackets’ lineup for asset protection as the Columbus zeroes in on a trade. Unlike Chychrun, Columbus seems to have something in the hopper for Gavrikov. It’s widely believed that the Bruins have a deal in place with Columbus for Gavrikov, but it is pending another transaction first to clear cap space. Not entirely sure why Columbus wouldn’t just take on the salary to process the deal and get it done, but that’s separate. We’ve known for months that Columbus is looking to match or exceed the package they received for David Savard in 2021: first and third-round picks. Do they get it? For a breakdown of Gavrikov’s game, read his Trade Deadline player profile.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Blaming the Bruins for a deal that didnt happen makes 0 sense. Their GM took the best deal, Id expect ours to do the same. Never assume something will be done until its written on paper.
i don't necessarily blame the bruins but at the same time i'd be PISSED if i was jarmo.

they had a deal, they held the player out to preserve that deal, the understanding was that boston would unload salary in a different deal. then boston goes and makes a deal that undoes the deal they'd already agreed to.

Not entirely sure why Columbus wouldn’t just take on the salary to process the deal and get it done, but that’s separate.
this screams ownership to me. same ownership that insisted on moving horton for clarkson because they'd rather spend $5m on a shitty player than on a guy who isn't playing.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
i don't necessarily blame the bruins but at the same time i'd be PISSED if i was jarmo.

they had a deal, they held the player out to preserve that deal, the understanding was that boston would unload salary in a different deal. then boston goes and makes a deal that undoes the deal they'd already agreed to.

this screams ownership to me. same ownership that insisted on moving horton for clarkson because they'd rather spend $5m on a shitty player than on a guy who isn't playing.
Yet fans keep going and nothing will change as long as they are making money - gate driven revenue

Reactions: Gordoff

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Owners deciding to "save" money in a situation like this would raise a lot of questions.

Is there an internal cap, and if yes, then why? Will it be temporary or maintain through offseason and possibly next season?

In that case we shouldn't expect Elvis or Gud to be bought out anytime soon? (for the record I never promoted that idea with either player until 2024 at earliest) Or maybe even assume Larsen to be replaced until his contract expires in 2024.

What about Jarmo and JD, what does this tell about the relationship between owners and them? Is the leash getting shorter for both of them?

No big FA signings this summer? If also yes, playoffs can't be the expectation for next season?

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I just did some number crunching based, based off the numbers on cap friendly, and I'm not sure the jackets could afford to retain 50% of Gavrikov's contract and taken on Smiths contract, if the ultimate goal was to use the picks gotten from the trade to aquire Chychrun. Another factor we have to take in is the unknown with diamond sports filing for bankruptcy could very well affect cap situations for next year and years to come. Who knows what will come with that, that may play into ownership's decision not to take on an expiring contract and retain salary from a player. There's a difference between paying money for a player you plan on/want to keep vs paying money for a player that you definitely aren't keeping or isn't here.

Reactions: Monk

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Owners deciding to "save" money in a situation like this would raise a lot of questions.

Is there an internal cap, and if yes, then why? Will it be temporary or maintain through offseason and possibly next season?

In that case we shouldn't expect Elvis or Gud to be bought out anytime soon? (for the record I never promoted that idea with either player until 2024 at earliest) Or maybe even assume Larsen to be replaced until his contract expires in 2024.

What about Jarmo and JD, what does this tell about the relationship between owners and them? Is the leash getting shorter for both of them?

No big FA signings this summer? If also yes, playoffs can't be the expectation for next season?
I believe the leash is shortening...but I also believe if the lottery does somehow favor us, that can all change

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

More D being on the market would not be a good thing for us and the Gavrikov getting a first round pick odds

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The same ownership that is paying out the full salary cap amount to a team in last place, because of contracts such as Wennberg, Gudbranson that Jarmo signed.

The Horton example you used doesn’t make sense to me. Jarmo signed the contract without having it insured… so yeah if you’re a owner why would you pay out 8 million to a player who is never going to play versus less money to someone who is…? It really doesn’t matter how good they are as a player at that point.

Reactions: Monk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I just did some number crunching based, based off the numbers on cap friendly, and I'm not sure the jackets could afford to retain 50% of Gavrikov's contract and taken on Smiths contract, if the ultimate goal was to use the picks gotten from the trade to aquire Chychrun. Another factor we have to take in is the unknown with diamond sports filing for bankruptcy could very well affect cap situations for next year and years to come. Who knows what will come with that, that may play into ownership's decision not to take on an expiring contract and retain salary from a player. There's a difference between paying money for a player you plan on/want to keep vs paying money for a player that you definitely aren't keeping or isn't here.
I would assume we could move Jake to LTIR for cap relief correct?

I was always the guy crying about an internal cap in years past. I don't think that's a concern (ownership has shown they will spend), but not sure if the owners would be willing to go over the NHL CAP (via LTIR). I'm guessing it tells me maybe the contract wasn't insured (so yes LTIR works but ownership not reimbursed for it)? It would be short sighted to me to not retain salary (or take back) to increase the return, but who knows maybe there is other circumstances (Debt Agreements or not wanting to spend over the CAP, etc).

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Another factor we have to take in is the unknown with diamond sports filing for bankruptcy could very well affect cap situations for next year and years to come. Who knows what will come with that, that may play into ownership's decision not to take on an expiring contract and retain salary from a player.

This is not being talked about enough.

It is not just a CBJ issue. It impacts 12 teams (1/3 of the NHL) — Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues, and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Reactions: CBJx614

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I’m gonna die on this hill and say he doesn’t get anywhere near that. Could be wrong tho

That seems like a lot for a #4 even with an extension
RoR just got a 1st and other picks. There’s still time to say Gavrikov is getting a first

D on the market :McCabe
Chychrun
Karlsson
Klingberg
Ghost
Dumba
Schenn

With forwards out there like
Kane
Meier
Boeser
Toews
ROR
Domi

And the potential for Orlov, Jensen, Eller

Playoff teams
Bruins - rumored in on Chychrun
Leafs - rumored in on everyone, allegedly not trading 1st for rental
Bolts - don’t need D
Hurricanes - don’t need D
Devils - maybe
Rangers - no 1st rd pick
Pens - maybe
Stars - don’t need D
Jets - maybe
Avs - don’t need D
Knights - don’t need D
Kraken - maybe
Oilers - maybe
Kings - rumored in on Chychrun

Gavrikov is better than every defenseman on this list except Karlsson, Dumba, and Chychrun. And the first two probably aren't even getting traded at the deadline.

I don't know where this mindset of Gavrikov not getting a first has come from. People said the same thing about Foligno and Savard, both worse players than him at the time, and both got firsts.

Gavrikov is getting a first, and I don't know why people think otherwise.
Now what are we thinking he returns?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Can Boston take the deal back? How does that work? If a deal is agreed upon are there “take backs?”

Pretty sure there is nothing NHL binding the agreement they had in place. This is on Jarmo.

You realize we are at the salary cap right?

Reactions: Monk and Gordoff

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo clearly got played here. There are really only two explanations, it looks like, depending on which reports you believe are accurate.

1) Ownership is cheap and wouldn't retain salary on Gavrikov (Seravalli reporting).
2) Jarmo believed the structure of the trade was in place and waited for Boston to shed salary because he didn't want to take on CRAIG ****ING SMITH for two months (there's plenty of cap space if they LTIR Voracek, if need be).

There are no good explanations here.

Plenty of guys they can LTIR - Voracek, Bean, Danforth. They could trade Nyquist for a conditional pick(s) to clear his cap hit off the books.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
we could exceed the cap* by $25 million right now if we needed to with LTIR (werenski, voracek, nyquist, bean, danforth).

*this doesn't mean ownership would be paying $25m, since salaries are prorated and signing bonuses have already been paid

the extremely dumb part of all of this is that craig smith and vladislav gavrikov have nearly the exact same amount of salary this year ($4.3m for smith, $4.2m for gavrikov); swapping smith for gavrikov would cost them a measly $30,000 extra. that's right, 30k – not 300k, not 3m… 30 thousand dollars.

alternatively, retaining 50% on gavrikov (30% of the year remaining on $4.2m salary) would still cut about $1.3m.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
we could exceed the cap* by $25 million right now if we needed to with LTIR (werenski, voracek, nyquist, bean, danforth).

*this doesn't mean ownership would be paying $25m, since salaries are prorated and signing bonuses have already been paid
Yes I understand. My point is that they already have been paying the maximum amount to a last place team.
the extremely dumb part of all of this is that craig smith and vladislav gavrikov have nearly the exact same amount of salary this year ($4.3m for smith, $4.2m for gavrikov); swapping smith for gavrikov would cost them a measly $30,000 extra. that's right, 30k – not 300k, not 3m… 30 thousand dollars.
alternatively, retaining 50% on gavrikov (30% of the year remaining on $4.2m salary) would still cut about $1.3m.
Maybe if they weren’t paying so much to Elvis, Gudbranson and more they would do that. I don’t blame ownership at all.

For all we know, Jarmo could have wanted to have cap space available to broker other trades and pick up more assets. Only 3 retention slots, maybe he believed that Gavrikov didn’t require one and the other 3 could be used on Karlsson, Kane and Nyquist. He has always talked about weaponizing cap space..

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Pretty sure there is nothing NHL binding the agreement they had in place. This is on Jarmo.
Of course there’s not but if you say “we have a deal we just need to move around this money. Hold on” and then play opossum for a week before saying “yeah we decided to do something else.” That’s pretty shitty of you. Nothing to stop you from doing it, but probably going to make it tough to do business with us again.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I hope so
Me too. Growing less certain by the day. We had it in the bag, but now the partners are leaving and some of the ones remaining aren’t going to trade them for rentals (LA) or have already traded them (TOR). I think Edmonton or a surprise team (Carolina? Pittsburgh? Seattle?) is our best shot.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Some are speculating ownership wouldn’t retain salary or take on the Smith contract, but that’s all it is - speculation. McConnell has traditionally been a passive owner and let the front office run the show. If we are going to play the speculation game, I’ll speculate it was Jarmo playing hardball, wanting to look like he “won” the deal.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Of course there’s not but if you say “we have a deal we just need to move around this money. Hold on” and then play opossum for a week before saying “yeah we decided to do something else.” That’s pretty shitty of you. Nothing to stop you from doing it, but probably going to make it tough to do business with us again.
Honestly though I don’t even think it’s that shitty. Not hard to move Smith at all. Could have even done Nyquist for Smith. Jarmo should have probably known after day 2.

Some are speculating ownership wouldn’t retain salary or take on the Smith contract, but that’s all it is - speculation. McConnell has traditionally been a passive owner and let the front office run the show. If we are going to play the speculation game, I’ll speculate it was Jarmo playing hardball, wanting to look like he “won” the deal.
Never Jarmo’s fault.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I doubt $2mm (which is actually much less considering 3/4 of the season is over) would have shit canned the deal. If money is that tight send the kids down and use the pay difference to cover the xtra $. I think Jarmo just got played.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad