2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The Blue Jackets wanted to get the Gavrikov trade done well ahead of the trade deadline, two sources told The Athletic, so that they could potentially flip the first-round pick from Boston in a trade with Arizona for defenseman Jakob Chychrun.
If this is true, does this imply that teams (other than Boston) rumored to be interested in Gavrikov didn't want to give away their '23 firsts? Or maybe they wanted but it wasn't enough for Jarmo, he would have wanted something extra (3rd++)?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
If this is true, does this imply that teams (other than Boston) rumored to be interested in Gavrikov didn't want to give away their '23 firsts? Or maybe they wanted but it wasn't enough for Jarmo, he would have wanted something extra (3rd++)?
I think it implies he wanted the Gavrikov deal done ASAP so they could get a Chychrun package together before he got dealt.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The Jackets 2nd rounder is only going to be a few spots after Boston's 1st, so the lack of an extra 1st shouldn't matter that much.
Maybe both were in the deal? Boston’s ‘23 1st, Columbus’ ‘23 2nd and a top-ten protected ‘24 1st?

I think it implies he wanted the Gavrikov deal done ASAP so they could get a Chychrun package together before he got dealt.
Is there anywhere else they could hustle Gavrikov off to quick so this Chychrun thing can FINALLY get done? If Jarmo can’t close the deal on Chychrun after all this foreplay, you guys will have to change your name to the Columbus Blue Balls.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If they could have acquired that needed '23 first for Chychrun package via other routes quicker, why did they decide to wait for Boston to do their "roster gymnastics" to free up space for Gavrikov? Something does not add up here or am I missing something relevant.

Reactions: Gordoff

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
If they could have acquired that needed '23 first for Chychrun package via other routes quicker, why did they decide to wait for Boston to do their "roster gymnastics" to free up space for Gavrikov? Something does not add up here or am I missing something relevant.
Because Jarmo thought he already had an agreed upon trade. Boston went back on their word. I think Jarmo thought there was a gentlemens agreement and stopped taking Gavrikov calls after the trade was in place, but once Orlov became available Boston started courting him instead and pulled the trigger.

It's pretty slimy by Sweeney, honestly. But its not, like, illegal. But its enough for me not to root for them in the playoffs. You shouldn't go back on your word.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
And when did CBJ and Boston make that agreement, a week ago? Doesn't sound like they really wanted to trade Gavrikov as soon as possible.
Maybe jarmo was a fool to blindly trust Sweeney that he was actually trying hard to get the deal done. Maybe jarmo should have just bit the bullet and took the Smith contract himself. Regardless, pretty slimy by Boston to let us hang in the balance and go back on their “agreement” even if they preferred orlov.

Unless of course, we knew this and were aware of their cold feet. Then it’s all fair

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Maybe jarmo was a fool to blindly trust Sweeney that he was actually trying hard to get the deal done. Maybe jarmo should have just bit the bullet and took the Smith contract himself. Regardless, pretty slimy by Boston to let us hang in the balance and go back on their “agreement” even if they preferred orlov.

Unless of course, we knew this and were aware of their cold feet. Then it’s all fair
My point is maybe Jarmo could have moved Gavrikov before the talks with Boston even began, that's why I'm having hard time buying this "ASAP" part in the story.

But yeah not going to cheer for Boston in the playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is there anywhere else they could hustle Gavrikov off to quick so this Chychrun thing can FINALLY get done? If Jarmo can’t close the deal on Chychrun after all this foreplay, you guys will have to change your name to the Columbus Blue Balls.

Wouldn't mind if you hang on to Chychrun for us until the summer. :D

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's a reliable source on the Bruins board (@DominicT ) that says the deal was never finalized because the Jackets wouldn't take Smith or retain on Gavrikov. I had originally thought we were the backup trade while the Bruins were looking around but that doesn't seem to be the case, although maybe the Bruins would have circled back if Orlov didn't suddenly become available.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's another LD to keep track of for this summer. If Walman can play with Seider on the top pair in Detroit (and Seider is much better with Walman than with Chiarot) then he might form a good middle pair with Jiricek in Columbus.

Reactions: CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
There's a reliable source on the Bruins board (@DominicT ) that says the deal was never finalized because the Jackets wouldn't take Smith or retain on Gavrikov.
Ownership, to be more precise. Interesting and sad if true.

If they were never going to take Smith's 3.1M contract I guess they wouldn't approve taking Puljujarvi (3M) from EDM either.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jarmo can't do anything about it if the other team is dangling a much better player. The only thing he can do is drop his price to like a 2nd+, but he can still get that so calm down.

I'm pretty sure that was it. Boston gave us a framework for a deal and then looked for a better player, specifically Chychrun and Orlov.

It's just a return to reality that the market is flooded this year and we probably can't get a 1st. Don't be nervous just adjust your expectations.

I could see Florida. That could be where he wants to sign long term, the only issue was that they didn't have a 1st to buy with. But if the price comes down to 2nd+3rd then they might jump into it.

For Chychrun? It involved the 12th OA pick that we ended up using on Mateychuk. They wanted that pick to get Geekie. They traded up to 11th after the deal with us fell through. It was probably the 12th pick plus another piece (maybe Boqvist or Ceulemans).

I can think of several reasons why he should be fired - Gudbranson, Bjorkstrand, ruining Sillinger, etc... - but deadline trades has generally not been his problem. He got two 1sts a couple years ago when the market allowed it, it's not his fault if the market isn't there this year.

And Elliotte. This time it was all speculation but we know they were close to acquiring Chychrun last summer.
Is the market actually flooded?

There are plenty of desperate teams out there and the best& easiest quality addition to defense is Gavrikov.

Chychrun is atleast 2x the return
Karlsson has a monster contract and is atleast 3x the return.

With Orlov off the table it should leave Gavrikov at #1 for realistic targets

There's a reliable source on the Bruins board (@DominicT ) that says the deal was never finalized because the Jackets wouldn't take Smith or retain on Gavrikov. I had originally thought we were the backup trade while the Bruins were looking around but that doesn't seem to be the case, although maybe the Bruins would have circled back if Orlov didn't suddenly become available.

That’s the best in the business

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
I'm gonna change the subject slightly. As someone relatively new to the NHL, when teams do a deal for the rights of a player who has never played NHL, would this usually suggest they have been talking to him and he is likely to sign for them?

In this case, I am thinking of the Bruins acquiring the rights to Andrei Svetlakov, currently with CSKA. In a case like that, might it be that Svetlakov didn't want to play for the Wild, but has indicated he may be interested in joining Bruins?

Reactions: Gordoff

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That would seem pretty shortsighted for Jarmo to balk at either of those options.

Article also points out that its not out of the question Gavrikov returns to the lineup
I'm sure he would bust his ass for the Jackets. On the other hand he may feign injury to sit out for UFA considerations.

Reactions: koteka and Toe Pick

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Another theory, other than Jackets were cheap or Bruins are devious, would be the league doesn’t value Gavrikov as much as Jarmo and Jackets fans do. Which might help us if Gavrikov hits free agency and doesn’t find a great offer waiting for him. Maybe he comes back for something shorter term and rather reasonable.

Reactions: MAHJ71

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Why do I get feeling Jarmo is gonna pull something out of left field and leave us speechless? Trading is his biggest strength
And that's the problem.
A GM isn't suppose to be great at winning trades. He needs to be great at winning.
Certainly knowing your strengths and weaknesses helps in making trades, but end of the day Jarmo can win all of his trades and if we aren't winning why does it matter?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
And that's the problem.
A GM isn't suppose to be great at winning trades. He needs to be great at winning.
Certainly knowing your strengths and weaknesses helps in making trades, but end of the day Jarmo can win all of his trades and if we aren't winning why does it matter?

This is where I am with Jarmo. The job is to build a cohesive team that plays well together under the direction of a coach with a plan, and the goal is to make the playoffs and win playoff games. The goal is not to win trades. Being good at trading should help do the job, not be the the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad