Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Chelsea ruins everything *shrug*...it's worked out fine for KdB, Musiala, Pedri, Saka, Foden, Gavi, Vini, Kvara, Nkunku, etc.

Do you have 4 world-class attackers? If not then Wirtz's spot isn't occupied.
Like, most of the players you listed aren’t 10s

I know it’s fun to blame Chelsea, but Havertz has done himself no favours

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Like, most of the players you listed aren’t 10s

None of the players we're discussing are just 10s, Wirtz included. They are all versatile attackers who are great in multiple spots and so "don't have a definitive position".

I was reaching with Nkunku & Vini, since their skillsets/playing-styles are very different from Flo's, but they still fit my larger point about how silly trying to spin versatility as a negative, is.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No I wouldn't.
Cama just dominated Liverpool recently, Tchouameni right before his injury was making outside foot assists for fun. And they're both vastly superior defensively.
I never said Bellingham is just hype. However, saying he's "obviously a level above" the other two who can easily be considered as the best 2 6/8 young midfielders in the game is laughable.

It makes sense to EPL fans who have no other interest than bringing back players like Jude or Sancho.
BTW, how did that work out with Sancho dominating the Buli?
To be fair, Camavinga dominating LFC this season (yes this did happen) isn’t exactly a scalp.

I think a manager astute enough tactically, along with some injury luck, would be worth the gamble for Wirtz. But the price will be prohibitive for many sides. Unless it's an oil club, if it doesn't work, it's going to sting.
Wirtz is replacing Gavi after his contract gets voided. Duh

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
To be fair, Camavinga dominating LFC this season (yes this did happen) isn’t exactly a scalp.

That's still an important CL game. Tchouameni and Camavinga have already proven to be among the best midfielders in the game at the highest level. Heck Cama is probably one of the top LB in the game if he feels like it :D

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No I wouldn't.
Cama just dominated Liverpool recently, Tchouameni right before his injury was making outside foot assists for fun. And they're both vastly superior defensively.
I never said Bellingham is just hype. However, saying he's "obviously a level above" the other two who can easily be considered as the best 2 6/8 young midfielders in the game is laughable.

It makes sense to EPL fans who have no other interest than bringing back players like Jude or Sancho.
BTW, how did that work out with Sancho dominating the Buli?
So did Joe Rothwell.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure. I completely get it. But his price might be prohibitive in the market.

It should be interesting in what it eventually ends up as.

That's fair. Like I said his cost is going to limit the clubs that can pursue him, but that's also not unique to Flo.

I guess I just got a little salty that D2M seemed to be acting as if Wirtz is uniquely risky for a world-class teenager.

When his complaints are pretty universal to almost all high-profile young-attacker transfers.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree. I was more refering to the fact that apparently, Bellingham is vastly superior to Cama and Tchou because he's the best in the Buli.
Which is wrong.

Gotcha. I don't necessarily think it's wrong to say that Jude has been more influential for BVB than Cama & Tchou have been for Real, but it's a really weird comparison to me because they just have such different strengths and would complement one another really well.

Though he can win the ball back well when pressing up the pitch, Jude needs midfield partners like Can/Ozcan or Cama/Tchou, to free him to charge forward into creative areas...so if you asked him to play as a 6, you wouldn't be getting a 100M+ player.

While Cama & Tchou can both play dangerous balls in the final third, that's not what makes them standout most and if you asked them to be their club's main creative hub...or one of two main creative hubs; as Jude & Brandt have been...you wouldn't be getting the most out them.

If anything those two french midfielders are an argument in favor of Bellingham picking Real; as long as Pep can't convince him to be KdB's successor and LFC doesn't get their s*** together.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's fair. Like I said his cost is going to limit the clubs that can pursue him, but that's also not unique to Flo.

I guess I just got a little salty that D2M seemed to be acting as if Wirtz is uniquely risky for a world-class teenager.

When his complaints are pretty universal to almost all high-profile young-attacker transfers.
I like Wirtz take him asap if we didn’t have Gavi/Pedri. It just feeels like the Barca thing to do buy for the sake of it gotta catch ‘Em all.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like Wirtz take him asap if we didn’t have Gavi/Pedri. It just feeels like the Barca thing to do buy for the sake of it gotta catch ‘Em all.

Fair enough, but I don't really think that's a problem...especially with Gavi being such a chippy SOB lol. Discounting the option of playing Flo as a false 9*, that still leaves 4 spots in your starting lineup where those three can thrive; either wing + the two more advanced midfield spots...and you can never have too many players like those three.

*which I'm not a huge fan of other than in matches against stronger sides; where you need the extra body to press...but I could be wrong about that, as I was a bit of a Wirtz skeptic at the youth team level and was slow to buy the hype when he hit the senior level. So I may still be under-rating him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Fair enough, but I don't really think that's a problem...especially with Gavi being such a chippy SOB lol. Discounting the option of playing Flo as a false 9*, that still leaves 4 spots in your starting lineup where those three can thrive; either wing + the two more advanced midfield spots...and you can never have too many players like those three.

*which I'm not a huge fan of other than in matches against stronger sides; where you need the extra body to press...but I could be wrong about that, as I was a bit of a Wirtz skeptic at the youth team level and was slow to buy the hype when he hit the senior level. So I may still be under-rating him.
Him being a winger or 9 gets me gun shy like Kai. With that fee I’m just saying barca are in no position to spend lavishly

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Him being a winger or 9 gets me gun shy like Kai. With that fee I’m just saying barca are in no position to spend lavishly
I'd agree that you shouldn't buy him with the intention of playing him mostly as a false-9. But if he's primarily a winger or advanced midfielder he'll be worth every penny.

And there's just something rotten with Kai & Chelsea; he's not as consistently great as I'd like but he's still a stud for the NT more often than not...even though he never arrives with any confidence from his club form lol

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

He isn't the same player... but some of the lack of position of some of the players in the ilk does make me a bit worrisome. It doesn't help that Kai is basically not worth the money, largely because he can't find a position. He's plenty gifted, but it makes me concerned.

While Wirtz's fast, I don't know if physically he can take some of what might happen for him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'd agree that you shouldn't buy him with the intention of playing him mostly as a false-9. But if he's primarily a winger or advanced midfielder he'll be worth every penny.

And there's just something rotten with Kai & Chelsea; he's not as consistently great as I'd like but he's still a stud for the NT more often than not...even though he never arrives with any confidence from his club form lol
Theres no room in the midfield. That’s the issue.

Reactions: luiginb

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Some random rumours, Arsenal are supposedly going after Ferran Torres, Lavia, Osimhen, and Hojlund (Atalanta FC). That's a lot of prime targets, but not sure why Torres would want to come after just joining Barca. Osimhen would probably be as improbable as anyone at this point. If Juve is relegated to Serie B as some rumours indicate, then I think Arsenal go back in for Vlahovic.

Tierney is the only one currently rumoured on the way out to Newcastle United, that would be some solid business for Magpies. Arteta just doesn't trust him for some weird reason.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Some random rumours, Arsenal are supposedly going after Ferran Torres, Lavia, Osimhen, and Hojlund (Atalanta FC). That's a lot of prime targets, but not sure why Torres would want to come after just joining Barca. Osimhen would probably be as improbable as anyone at this point. If Juve is relegated to Serie B as some rumours indicate, then I think Arsenal go back in for Vlahovic.

Tierney is the only one currently rumoured on the way out to Newcastle United, that would be some solid business for Magpies. Arteta just doesn't trust him for some weird reason.

Ferran torres is yours. No take backs. Maybe Arteta gets the best of him. Stranger things have happened

• Haha
Reactions: maclean and luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's not that Arteta doesn't trust him. It's that he's an out and out fullback and Arteta likes to invert his fullbacks, especially on the left side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad