Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
What would need to be added from Boston in this package:
Gryz + Lysell + Frederic to Flames for Lindholm

Gryz 3.6875
Frederic 2.5(assumption)
Lysell ELC @.863333

Lindholm 4.85

Would give us a 1.337 in extra cap space. The issue you run into is who plays with McAvoy on the top unit? Is Lohrei ready? Other than that, we have Zboril and Forbort on the left side.

Running Bergy-Lindholm-Coyle down the middle would make us potentially even better than last year. I don't mean breaking point records again but better suited for a playoff run.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA

Gryz 3.6875
Frederic 2.5(assumption)
Lysell ELC @.863333

Lindholm 4.85

Would give us a 1.337 in extra cap space. The issue you run into is who plays with McAvoy on the top unit? Is Lohrei ready? Other than that, we have Zboril and Forbort on the left side.

Running Bergy-Lindholm-Coyle down the middle would make us potentially even better than last year. I don't mean breaking point records again but better suited for a playoff run.
I would do this. But I don’t think Calgary does unless they really think Lindholm is gone.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Gryz 3.6875
Frederic 2.5(assumption)
Lysell ELC @.863333

Lindholm 4.85

I’m not sure how much value 1 year of Gryz has to the Flames. With no knowledge of anything I find it hard to believe a guy who has been so close to where he grew up through college, minors and pros would suddenly think…I’m going to sign long term in Calgary.

I think Gryz has to be the 2025 1st and then you have to flip Gryz or Forbort in another move.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Gryz 3.6875
Frederic 2.5(assumption)
Lysell ELC @.863333

Lindholm 4.85

I still say the Horvat deal is a decent comp.

Anthony Beauvillier
Aatu Ratty
2023 1st

Beauvillier = Frederic
Ratty = Lysell

With that said is Grz worth a 1st? Probably not, so either Boston would need to add or swap Grz for something else.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’ve really come around to…

Frederic, Lysell, Gryz, Forbort, 2025 1st out
Bergeron, Hanifin, Lorhei in

And just fly those planes with ad banners across every NHL city telling any UFA center to make it to the open market.

Marchand Bergeron DeBrusk
JVR Zacha Pasta
Boquivst/Merkulov Coyle Geekie
Lucic Brown/Beecher/MacLaughlin Lauko

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm Shattenkirk
Lorhei Carlo

Ullmark
Swayman

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My best guess, since NHLPA was involved and post grievance approved - the Bruins paid him out more than his buyout to just go away.
Best for him, league, Bruins and Players Assoc.

Thats my guess.
Couldn't agree more. Neither the Bruins, NHLPA, or League get anything but headaches if this guy doesn't go away quietly. And every team in the league has some dirty laundry that they would like left behind closed doors. No team is going to raise a stink over extremely small salary cap issue that the League and PA are ok on.

For example, you think Colorado would stir up complaints?

Different issue I know, but point is that every company has instances where non egregious issues need to go away quietly for the best of all. Nothing different here and, frankly, good for the Bruins for making it go away quietly.

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

It’s possible Boston could enter the picture at some point. They likely have their eyes focused on what Elias Lindholm decides in Calgary first.

Moving Scheifele to Boston could set in motion a trade for both of Winnipeg’s pending UFAs, as they’d likely target 24-year-old netminder Jeremy Swayman.

The Jets could also benefit from a cap-strapped Bruins club, potentially adding another roster player to the mix to help alleviate Boston’s cap woes.

Reactions: Blowfish

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
So Frederic seems to be in a lot of trade proposals, and while Trent Frederic is far from Cam Neely or even Steve Leach he is one of the few forwards in the league who will score 15 goals hit and fight. Every year the Bruins get manhandled in the playoffs and every year a percentage of posters think the correct response to this is getting even softer and easier to play against. I love the fact Lucic is back, I do not want our only physical forward to be a 35 year old. Frederic direct replacement would be Jesper Boqvist, an addition i like because of his speed and still having some untapped offensive potential but not the guy I want replacing Frederic.

The deals I have seen for Grczlyk are vastly overrating his value. A first round pick? Seriously? They got two mid level defensive prospects for Hall and you think they are getting a first round pick for a guy that got scratched in the playoffs and has traditionally been a terrible playoff performer? If Sweeney could have gotten a second or third for Grizz I am pretty sure he would be gone already.

So how about this, they move Charlie Coyle and his 5.5 million dollar contract to a team for a pick, assuming Bergeron resigns, and you run Bergeron-Zacha and Geekie as your top 3 centers. You use the assets from Coyle to make a move or pick up an expiring contract at the deadline when you would have a ton of cap space from Coyle and go into next season with Coyle and Grizz off the books and an additional 5.5 i cap space from Coyle, you keep your 15 goal physical forward and add at the deadline. Next year maybe bring back Bertuzzi or add Ryan Hartman or Dakota Johnson as depth. Tom Wilson is a free agent too.

• Wow
Reactions: NDiesel and Bodit9

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So Frederic seems to be in a lot of trade proposals, and while Trent Frederic is far from Cam Neely or even Steve Leach he is one of the few forwards in the league who will score 15 goals hit and fight. Every year the Bruins get manhandled in the playoffs and every year a percentage of posters think the correct response to this is getting even softer and easier to play against. I love the fact Lucic is back, I do not want our only physical forward to be a 35 year old. Frederic direct replacement would be Jesper Boqvist, an addition i like because of his speed and still having some untapped offensive potential but not the guy I want replacing Frederic.

The deals I have seen for Grczlyk are vastly overrating his value. A first round pick? Seriously? They got two mid level defensive prospects for Hall and you think they are getting a first round pick for a guy that got scratched in the playoffs and has traditionally been a terrible playoff performer? If Sweeney could have gotten a second or third for Grizz I am pretty sure he would be gone already.

So how about this, they move Charlie Coyle and his 5.5 million dollar contract to a team for a pick, assuming Bergeron resigns, and you run Bergeron-Zacha and Geekie as your top 3 centers. You use the assets from Coyle to make a move or pick up an expiring contract at the deadline when you would have a ton of cap space from Coyle and go into next season with Coyle and Grizz off the books and an additional 5.5 i cap space from Coyle, you keep your 15 goal physical forward and add at the deadline. Next year maybe bring back Bertuzzi or add Ryan Hartman or Dakota Johnson as depth. Tom Wilson is a free agent too.

I see you mention Grzelcyk being scratched in the playoffs but not Frederic.

Not fair.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So how about this, they move Charlie Coyle and his 5.5 million dollar contract to a team for a pick,

No one is taking on Charlie Coyle's contract despite a drastic overpayment. Just the fact they basically gave away Taylor Hall and his 2 years @ 6 million per tells me their is even less demand for Charlie Coyle and his 3 years @ 5.25

And where you getting these picks from? They don't have a 2nd rounder until 2026 and either one of their 2024 or 2025 1st is gone.

This sending out picks to dump contracts has to stop. Between that and the deadline rentals they've brought in, they've sent countless 1st and 2nd rounders out the door since 2020 dumping contracts and chasing cups. FOUR 1st rounders and FOUR 2nd rounders (and even a couple 3rds) gone between 2020 and 2024 drafts, and basically just Hampus Lindholm to show for it at this point.

And you want to send MORE PICKS out the door to fix mistakes?

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

You move Coyle you risk losing depth and flexibility , He capable of PP and Pk time ,he also can move up and down the lineup when needed short term , which might be called more if Bergey comes back with a iffy back.......So with this new found cap space who is his replacement and I doubt he will be able to to the job as well as Coyle.............I think Sweeney does not want to move Gryz in my opinion is a mistake if he is not going to be plyaed at playoff time..........in my opinion take what ever you can get for him and move ..........I also suggest go into camp and see what you have with Geekie , Bogvist and this coming from someone who has ripped Sweeney for not building his roster in the offseason . I think Sweeney has made moves to get younger , faster ,younger and more skilled , I also think those two players are no risk moves and potential high reward . I do not like the JVR signing but we shall see , hopefully I am wrong . I have said I would be in panic mode to aquire a center , that is why I prefer to see how this roster pans out ,although I am concerned with the defense and should be addressed at some point.............

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
People need to realize how much losing Clifton will effect this team. He made mistakes but was the only consistently physical D they had. Forbott and Carlo will hit occasionally but not enough.
for a million bucks he was a stud.
I hope he has a great year in Buffalo. Ill miss his hits.
when he was paired with lindholm his offense was pretty good. Shouldve never broken up that pair.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I can't find a good reason why Bergy and/or Krejci wouldn't have announced their retirement by now if that was in fact the plan. I can, however, see why they wouldn't have announced publicly they're returning yet when the Bruins may have some irons in the fire plus their RFA's to sign.

By adding Bergy and Krejci at a steal of a number like 1.0 million each, you can come close to offset that by sending down Megna, Greer, and Zboril. That leaves you 13 forwards and 7 dman. Potential for Lauko, Lysell, Merkulov, Beecher, Steen, McLaughlin to beat out one of the current forwards, and Lohrei to make the team out of camp.

I just don't see how Frederic and Swayman come in under 5.4 million combined. Really feels like there's something else happening.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Are they really going to get Swayman get to a hearing? Feels like they have enough info now to make an offer and save some headaches? I guess I never entertained the version where maybe it's Swayman's side turning down the reasonable 1 year offer.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
People need to realize how much losing Clifton will effect this team. He made mistakes but was the only consistently physical D they had. Forbott and Carlo will hit occasionally but not enough.
Clifton’s last 4 periods as a Bruins player Florida scored 11 goals and he was atrocious

He should have never come out of the lineup - his history is he is a big bounce back guy

Monty created unnecessary doubt and I’m sure has more confidence in Ian Mitchell right now than Clifton

He basically had to go

Frederic an incredibly bad scratch by Monty in game 5 (full disclosure he and Orlov were my only Bruins so I’m paying attention more then anyone but his family & friends and he was good not even average or sucked in games 3 and 4.) Monty sent a message he has no confidence to Frederic as well

In my sports watching this was captain of Titanic level over 3 games

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad