Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Hey in all seriousness, does Looch have anything left? Everyone I know out west is telling me the game has just blown past him. Curious what we'll see here...
He'll give us some points. He's motivated. Calgary had him on top lines many games and thats not him lol he'll be fine on our 4th and give us more than Foligno, imo

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
He'll give us some points. He's motivated. Calgary had him on top lines many games and thats not him lol he'll be fine on our 4th and give us more than Foligno, imo
Kind of interesting the 1st game of the regular season is at TD against the Blackhawks. Looch's adrenaline will be pumping. Although he won't be on the ice at the same time Bedard will be, good and fun chance to throw some nhl intimidation in his mind.

Reactions: BMC and Mione134

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If Lucic wasn't motivated in a year where he might have been fighting for his last NHL contract I'm not sure why some think he's got more left to show.

Will be fun for nostalgia I guess but that's about it.

This fanbase will give him a long leash though.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
not really, but it'll still be fun seeing him as a bruins again. Just don't set your expectations for him too high and enjoy the ride.
I want wins , I just hope he has something left in the tank so he can contribute , if you really like and respect the guy you do want to see him as a hanger on . I have always liked the guy but would prefer not witnessing a sad ending . Much of the same can be said for Bergeron with that back has had to great a career to tarnish it now..........

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Neither Beecher nor Lohrei have shown that they've mastered the AHL level. Why then would you start them in the NHL? It's the way to ruin a prospect's deveopment. Lohrei's D in NCAA and (small sample size)AHL does not look NHL ready. Thrusting him in a level above what he's achieved doesn't help his development.

If you want these prospects to succeed, be patient and let them prove they are top of the roster AHL players first.

Laukko, McLaughlin, Walsh/Regula/Mitchell.... those guys don't have the upside of a Lohrei or Lysell, but are more ready to be "ok" place holders. In fact, Mitchell is kind of a case of what I'm talking about:

late 2nd rd pick who had a really good freshman year in NCAA and got progressively better. By his D+3 year he was the apple of the fanbase's prospect eye. Signed after his D+3 year and got thrown into the lineup because he was their best D prospect. Showed he wasn't ready and struggled defensively, even in sheltered minutes. Had to go down to AHL and 3 years after that he's on his 2nd organization and still struggling to be an NHL regular.

Don't rush kids just because you think they are good prospects. Make them prove they are good professionals.

Hey in all seriousness, does Looch have anything left? Everyone I know out west is telling me the game has just blown past him. Curious what we'll see here...
I know some people really like advanced stats to judge players, and some don't. Looking at CGY defensive stats... Lucic was the worst Flames forward defensively. Being the worst guy on a bad team isn't a good look. Better goaltending on BOS might alleviate some of that. But his lack of speed is a serious issue.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Neither Beecher nor Lohrei have shown that they've mastered the AHL level. Why then would you start them in the NHL? It's the way to ruin a prospect's deveopment. Lohrei's D in NCAA and (small sample size)AHL does not look NHL ready. Thrusting him in a level above what he's achieved doesn't help his development.

If you want these prospects to succeed, be patient and let them prove they are top of the roster AHL players first.

Laukko, McLaughlin, Walsh/Regula/Mitchell.... those guys don't have the upside of a Lohrei or Lysell, but are more ready to be "ok" place holders. In fact, Mitchell is kind of a case of what I'm talking about:

late 2nd rd pick who had a really good freshman year in NCAA and got progressively better. By his D+3 year he was the apple of the fanbase's prospect eye. Signed after his D+3 year and got thrown into the lineup because he was their best D prospect. Showed he wasn't ready and struggled defensively, even in sheltered minutes. Had to go down to AHL and 3 years after that he's on his 2nd organization and still struggling to be an NHL regular.

Don't rush kids just because you think they are good prospects. Make them prove they are good professionals.

I know some people really like advanced stats to judge players, and some don't. Looking at CGY defensive stats... Lucic was the worst Flames forward defensively. Being the worst guy on a bad team isn't a good look. Better goaltending on BOS might alleviate some of that. But his lack of speed is a serious issue.
Every prospect doesn’t need extended time jn the A. Many skip it altogether, and I’m not talking about the elite guys.

What did you see from Lohrei to say he’s not ready? Did you watch his Providence games?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Uh oh! Heeeere come the Lohrei Truthers!

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Lucic doesn't belong and isn't suited for the 4th line.
I hear what you are saying. Still, I don't know how it works.

I don't see him playing top 6 minutes and I do see him being a burden in the top 9. If he is not on the 4th line, I almost prefer he only plays when we face teams that have fighters like the NYR. I see him being a huge liability against faster, more skilled teams.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Strongly disagree!

Are you deploying your 4th line in tough defensive match-ups?

Because if you are, you don't want Lucic on that line. His biggest drawback, by far, is his play without the puck in his own zone. Your just setting him (and his line) up for failure.

Now if your going to use the 4th line sparingly just to spell your top 3 lines (say 6-7 minutes a night), keep them away from tough assignments then fine, put Lucic there. You'll get a some energy and a couple hits or whatever. But don't expect much from the line or the player.

To me that's a waste of his ability.

His strength has always been he's a big strong winger who is smart enough to read and react off highly skilled, smart players. Why not use him to his strengths and have him compliment two scorers on whichever scoring line is getting the softest match-ups? There are 3 of them. Give him more offensive zone starts let him get in on the forecheck, knock some D-men around, make em' flinch.

Comes down to putting players in positions to succeed and get the most out of their ability while masking their weaknesses. In this case, Lucic's play away from the puck in his own zone.

I hear what you are saying. Still, I don't know how it works.

I don't see him playing top 6 minutes and I do see him being a burden in the top 9. If he is not on the 4th line, I almost prefer he only plays when we face teams that have fighters like the NYR. I see him being a huge liability against faster, more skilled teams.

The liability is in his own zone.

Put him on the 4th line and now your sheltering that line from tough defensive assignments.

I don't even subscribe to this Top 6/Bottom 6 stuff. It's 3 scoring lines and a checking line in today's NHL.

You could even call them.

A)Offensive Line 1/Defensive Line 1 or 2

B) Offensive Line 2/Defensive Line 3 or 4

C) Offensive Line 3/Defensive Line 3 or 4

D) Offensive Line 4/Defensive Line 1 or 2.

One of Line B or C is getting the softest match-ups on a given night. That is where Lucic is best suited.

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

I agree with your philosophy, but I do not have the information to agree or disagree with the specific case on Lohrei. The Bruins should and I hope they take a sheltered approach with the future of the prospect valued over two points here or there in a transition year.

Reactions: BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
An analog would be Nick Perbix. Yes he played two more years in college than Lohrei, and was two years older, but he was a sixth round pick and not nearly as well regarded. Played 12 games in the A after his college career was done, then last year was planted in the TB lineup all year. He certainly didn’t prove himself as a top line player in the AHL before moving to a contending team in the NHL.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
The liability is in his own zone.

Put him on the 4th line and now your sheltering that line from tough defensive assignments.

I hear you, but

Lucic-Bergeron-Debrusk
Marchand-Zacha-Pasta
Frederic-Coyle-Geekie

Marchand-Bergeron-Debrusk
Lucic-Zacha-Pasta
Frederic-Coyle-Geekie

Each of those options has one scoring line. If we push Lucic down to the Third line then you really handcuff Coyle. I love the way Coyle plays but if the 3rd line has any less offense then last year, it will be a major problem and now it would be a defensive liability as well.

I love Lucic, and I hope I am surprised. What I see as a best case scenrio is one where JVR/Frederic/Merkulov/Lysell/Geekie all fight for a position in the top 6 while Lucic is the 13th forward and only plays when his toughness is required. I know this is blasphemy on this board.

I believe in Cinderella stories; they happen in sports all the time. But you have to give yourself a chance to be in the playoffs and right now I don't think we have a strong enough roster to carry Lucic in the top 9 for 60+ games. I'd rather see him play 35-50 games this year.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Lucic doesn't belong and isn't suited for the 4th line.

My biggest concern is he simply can't keep up with the play and hurts the team more so than helps the team. It could be a difficult thing to watch. Big fan "back in the day". The game has changed so much and it certainly doesn't favour the big slow forwards.

Well said regarding kids and Lucic.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hear you, but

Lucic-Bergeron-Debrusk
Marchand-Zacha-Pasta
Frederic-Coyle-Geekie

Marchand-Bergeron-Debrusk
Lucic-Zacha-Pasta
Frederic-Coyle-Geekie

Each of those options has one scoring line. If we push Lucic down to the Third line then you really handcuff Coyle. I love the way Coyle plays but if the 3rd line has any less offense then last year, it will be a major problem and now it would be a defensive liability as well.

I love Lucic, and I hope I am surprised. What I see as a best case scenrio is one where JVR/Frederic/Merkulov/Lysell/Geekie all fight for a position in the top 6 while Lucic is the 13th forward and only plays when his toughness is required. I know this is blasphemy on this board.

I believe in Cinderella stories; they happen in sports all the time. But you have to give yourself a chance to be in the playoffs and right now I don't think we have a strong enough roster to carry Lucic in the top 9 for 60+ games. I'd rather see him play 35-50 games this year.

Whichever line Lucic is on will have it's issue in it's own end.

If you can't deploy your 4th line against tough defensive assignments, I think it's pretty much useless. Now they are just a placeholder line. And one of the 4 lines will get the softest defensive match-ups by default. One way or the other.

One of the biggest difference I felt in the finals was Cassidy had trust in his 4th line and could roll them out there. Meanwhile Maurice was terrified of using his 4th line againts top Vegas players.

No disrespect but those lines above make a lot of assumptions. Bergeron's return. Frederic still here. Geekie pushed to the wing. Zacha up the middle.

The biggest problem I see is all the statements I'm making about Lucic in his own end and keeping him away from tough match-ups, also applies to JVR.

Reactions: HustleB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My biggest concern is he simply can't keep up with the play and hurts the team more so than helps the team. It could be a difficult thing to watch. Big fan "back in the day". The game has changed so much and it certainly doesn't favour the big slow forwards.

Well said regarding kids and Lucic.

He's smart enough to play to his strengths. If your employing Lucic, your employing him from the offensive blue-line in. Making things tough on opposing D-men. Going to dirty areas and getting to the net front. Read off what his line-mates are doing. That's what he's done his whole career. I don't see his lack of footspeed an issue in the offensive zone. Smart reads and smart positionally. He's not being asked to carry the puck up ice and gain zone entries all game long.

What you don't want is him in his own zone chasing around speedy skilled players like you find on opposing team's top lines.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He's smart enough to play to his strengths. If your employing Lucic, your employing him from the offensive blue-line in. Making things tough on opposing D-men. Going to dirty areas and getting to the net front. Read off what his line-mates are doing. That's what he's done his whole career. I don't see his lack of footspeed an issue in the offensive zone. Smart reads and smart positionally. He's not being asked to carry the puck up ice and gain zone entries all game long.

What you don't want is him in his own zone chasing around speedy skilled players like you find on opposing team's top lines.
True enough...He was able to accomplish this early career however I would be surprised if he can do this at 35. We shall see.

Reactions: BruinDust

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

To bolster your point, Lucic's DZone starts the last three years: 43.7%, 38.4%, 41.5%. Never had more than 47% DZ starts in a season in his career.

Stark contrast to who he's ostensibly replacing - Foligno had 65.2% DZ starts last year. And even that's inflated by his playing up. Nosek had a whopping 90.9% DZ starts last year - indicative of how Monty used his fourth line. You're right that this doesn't line up well with Lucic on the fourth line. But I'm not sure they're going to play him with Coyle and Frederic (where does Geekie go?) or if they're going to radically change how they deploy that line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To bolster your point, Lucic's DZone starts the last three years: 43.7%, 38.4%, 41.5%. Never had more than 47% DZ starts in a season in his career.

Stark contrast to who he's ostensibly replacing - Foligno had 65.2% DZ starts last year. And even that's inflated by his playing up. Nosek had a whopping 90.9% DZ starts last year - indicative of how Monty used his fourth line. You're right that this doesn't line up well with Lucic on the fourth line. But I'm not sure they're going to play him with Coyle and Frederic (where does Geekie go?) or if they're going to radically change how they deploy that line.

Thanks for this.

This hits the nail on the head right here. Monty wasn't sheltering his 4th line defensively. He felt comfortable using them against top players.

And consider this, the had this deployment of 4th line while still having arguably the best defensive forward duo of their generation in 37 and 63. Without Bergeron, the 4th line will likely get even more tough match-ups.

I'd start him on a line with Geekie in the middle and Boqvist on the other wing. Give them the softest defensive match-ups, especially early on while all 3 are getting used to Monty's system.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
My sleeper is Patrick Brown

Lucic - Brown- Steen

Love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad