Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
it's crazy to me that the guy so many consider would go 1st overall in a lot of the drafts is possibly the guy Pat won't pick.
If it seems crazy, it’s probably cuz it is crazy and won’t happen. If fantilli fit the mold of Carlsson( less physical quiet etc player) then maybe, he wouldn’t pick him. But Adam is everything he’s ever expressed as wanting to see in our players and we even hired a coach who also demands what Fanta brings in spades.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Hockey is the only sport I give a damn about anymore and I don't have a lot of other stuff in my life that brings me much happiness so I never wanted to see my team finish dead last especially after they have been a NHL team for almost 30 years.

Being sure to draft top 3 doesn't guarantee anything the player we pick could bust or be a disappointment.

A part of me (because misery loves company) wants to see whoever we pick be a bust or at least a disappointment just so those fans who cheered on the Ducks to lose to feel worse then they did after losing the 1st overall pick in the draft lottery.

Hates people who rooted for the Ducks to lose for 1 season. Roots for the Ducks franchise player to bust causing the Ducks to be mediocre for the next decade.

Makes sense.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The other thing is Fantilli fits in seamlessly with guys like Zegs and Terry. If we were building a forward group from scratch I think Carlsson could be a better choice but we really aren’t. Just how I see but I think it makes sense, their upside and floors seem to be pretty similar all things considered.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
it's crazy to me that the guy so many consider would go 1st overall in a lot of the drafts is possibly the guy Pat won't pick.
I mean you can say it about Carlsson and Michkov too. The "next 3" are really close to one another. I just think Fantilli is the best fit for Anaheim and less risk than Michkov.

Reactions: Ducks and Ducks DVM

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Some of us here are getting a little too bent out of shape about the possibility of picking Carlsson. Yes, Fantilli seems like a better fit from what Verbeek has said, but none of us actually know his full vision of the team, and also none of us were in the interviews. Maybe he really liked Carlssons interview, or maybe wasn’t as big of a fan of Fantillis. I’d say the most likely possibility though is we’re all falling for the smoke screen and reading into quotes that mean nothing and reveal nothing.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
"Fantilli is closer to Bedard than Carlsson or Michkov are to Fantilli."

I cannot quote this utterance often enough. If we don't draft Fantilli, it better means that Chicago somehow took Fantilli 1st overall and we pick Bedard. There is absolutely no incentive in not picking Fantilli and no reason to do so, either.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

See this is what kills me about people saying Fantilli has low hockey IQ. Not every guy at 18 just knows the best play to distribute the puck naturally. It comes with experience, and as St. Louis noted, experimentation. Like is it a flaw that Fantilli's attempts lead to turnovers? Absolutely. I don't know how you could pretend otherwise. But experimentation goes hand in hand with adaptation. Someone like Zegras is still experimenting with what works and what doesn't as he aims to be an elite playmaker. For some guys it comes naturally, for others it's learned.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

I personally lean Fantilli, but would be lying if I said much of that is not due to him being the Consensus and the fact that I am not a professional scout, so I can’t help but defer to the consensus. That being said, in the half dozen Michigan games and all WJC and WC games I watched of Fantilli, I saw many of the things Brad Allen (of the respected NHL Draft Black Book) talks about.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
"Fantilli is closer to Bedard than Carlsson or Michkov are to Fantilli."

I cannot quote this utterance enough. If we don't draft Fantilli, it better means that Chicago somehow took Fantilli 1st overall and we pick Bedard. There is absolutely no incentive in not picking Fantilli and no reason to do so, either.
Ding ding ding

I don't think I've seen anyone qualify it that way. If I'm being objective, I think all these rankings could be different if Michkov wasn't a Russia risk.
But he is. And either way for the ducks. He’s a small player. That’s a no go.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm surprised some people here are buying into the unsubstantiated rumor mill that Anaheim prefers Carlsson. I'm not saying there's zero chance it happens, but the idea that there's a leak in Verbeek's team when they kept such a tight lid on Cronin is ridiculous.
Posturing, misdirection, and deception.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin

I personally lean Fantilli, but would be lying if I said much of that is not due to him being the Consensus and the fact that I am not a professional scout, so I can’t help but defer to the consensus. That being said, in the half dozen Michigan games and all WJC and WC games I watched of Fantilli, I saw many of the things Brad Allen (of the respected NHL Draft Black Book) talks about.

Brad Allen said some really stupid things in that video.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I would put good money on 100% of NHL scouts giving vague answers at best, and incorrect ones at worst, to any member of the media, regarding the prospects that either are in the range they are drafting or that they hope will drop to the range they are drafting. There’s nothing positive that comes of making that info public.

TLDR stop freaking out about everything. Even the Blackhawks haven’t committed to Bedard.
Just gonna post this again. Might do it daily.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ding ding ding

But he is. And either way for the ducks. He’s a small player. That’s a no go.
But that just goes to what Anaheim (probably) wants and needs. When it comes to saying whether these guys would go first overall in other years that's really not relevant. But that's semantics at the end of the day. I agree with the principle that Fantilli is the best fit and is a first overall quality prospect.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Watching the highlights looks as though Fantilli played like a sniping winger. Later in the video, David cites that some scouts project Fantilli as an NHL winger, but EP (David) believes he can hold as an NHL center. The flaws in Fantilli's game is repeated in this video. They are the transition game, puck mgmt, and reading the play. David shared that pairing Fantilli with a playmaker would cover his weaknesses.

Fantilliz, z score (EP).png

With Anaheim, we're not starting a rebuild. We're in the middle of a rebuild that's waiting on their blue line to mature. Fantilli will be added to three talented forwards in Zegras, McTavish, and Terry - where Zegras and McTavish have established their talents as playmaker centers at the NHL level. Fantilli will add much needed bite, speed, and goal scoring in Anaheim's top-6.

For comparison, here's Carlsson's score card:

Carlsson, z score (EP).png

A couple of interesting bits when comparing the cards: 1) Carlsson is the superior OZ Retrievals/60 player and 2) Carlsson is the better Boards to Middle Plays/60. I would have thought Fantilli would have been the better OZ retrieval player/60 due to his speed. This can have reasoned due to different roles played, Fantilli playing center at Michigan and Leo playing wing with Orebro.

These score cards reflect what Asst GM Madden summarized between the two players in his recent interview:

How would you describe the play styles of Adam Fantilli, Leo Carlsson and Will Smith?
MM: Fantilli is a fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward. Carlsson is an intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive. Smith is a creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad