Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
If you're standing by #3, then your not living in reality. The return Buffalo received was far less than Zegras and McTavish. They didn't receive even one asset that had the value of either of those two guys. Tuch, who finally had a break out year, didn't come close to having that kind of value when he was traded.

The other issue you omit, which I think was a driving factor, is that Eichel probably would have been very unhappy on a losing Anaheim team. He wanted out of Buffalo because of the losing and Anaheim would have been more of the same.
The alleged ask per Friedman was zegras drysdale and 2 firsts hence why eichel was never a realistic option for us

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Would you trade #2 for #3 and #34?

John
It is something I mentioned yesterday. The scenario where it makes sense is if Columbus wants to ensure that they get Carlsson and are worried that the Ducks may take him instead. It is interesting that the PV and Madden are sending some very mixed signals about their intentions regarding the #2 pick. At this point everyone seems to be wondering what the Ducks will do.

Reactions: lwvs84 and 70sSanO

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The alleged ask per Friedman was zegras drysdale and 2 firsts hence why eichel was never a realistic option for us
Every part listed is significantly better than what Vegas gave up, which is why everyone knows that was a nonsense request and the actual price would have been much much much lower.

Signed, someone who felt trading for Eichel was a bad idea for a rebuilding franchise.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hockey is the only sport I give a damn about anymore and I don't have a lot of other stuff in my life that brings me much happiness so I never wanted to see my team finish dead last especially after they have been a NHL team for almost 30 years.

Being sure to draft top 3 doesn't guarantee anything the player we pick could bust or be a disappointment.

A part of me (because misery loves company) wants to see whoever we pick be a bust or at least a disappointment just so those fans who cheered on the Ducks to lose to feel worse then they did after losing the 1st overall pick in the draft lottery.
That's really f***ing sad dude. I mean I'll credit you for the honesty but this is like petty beyond belief and pessimistic beyond comprehension. The whole reason anyone was rooting for short term failure was in the interest of long term success.

Say our guy is an overwhelming success and is the best guy on a team that brings Anaheim another cup, isn't that more worth it than overcoming the short term hurt of last?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That's really f***ing sad dude. I mean I'll credit you for the honesty but this is like petty beyond belief and pessimistic beyond comprehension. The whole reason anyone was rooting for short term failure was in the interest of long term success.

Say our guy is an overwhelming success and is the best guy on a team that brings Anaheim another cup, isn't that more worth it than overcoming the short term hurt of last?
I'd say it's much more likely that he doesn't lead us to a cup.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd say it's much more likely that he doesn't lead us to a cup.
That's not my point. I guess the better way to put it is if he's so upset that Anaheim lost out at the end because fans weren't hoping they'd try to win for pride, how is rooting for the Ducks' best draft pick in ages to fail any better?

I'd argue it's worse. Whether it's a small part of him or not. At least people rooting for the tank had intent aimed at future success. Even if some small part of him wants Anaheim's draft pick to fail, it's immature and vindictive.

It'd be like saying "I hope Anaheim finishes last place for three more years just to bum you out"

Oct 18, 2011
im gonna be disappointed if we don't draft Fantilli. He's been the consensus #2 by most scouts and media, and has a playstyle that I think we'll need in the playoffs. just pick the guy everyone expects you to pick Pat.
Alot if the time the consensus is good, if you go against it you better be right because if you're wrong thats how you get fired and never get another GM job

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I prefer Carlsson but I dont want to miss out on what Fantilli could be

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Would you trade #2 for #3 and #34?

John
It is something I mentioned yesterday. The scenario where it makes sense is if Columbus wants to ensure that they get Carlsson and are worried that the Ducks may take him instead. It is interesting that the PV and Madden are sending some very mixed signals about their intentions regarding the #2 pick. At this point everyone seems to be wondering what the Ducks will do.

The way the ducks are discussing who we’ll pick makes me wonder if they are trying to bait a trade to 3 or 4.

Moving down from 2 to 3 for 34 seems like a no brainer if you have both fantilli and carlsson in same tier.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The 2ndOA pick is not going to put us over the top. Too many holes to fill. But the good thing is we have the deepest D prospect pool in the league. Have 6 draft picks through the 1st three rounds, including a 2ndOA pick. Will be a good draft to fill some of that forward prospect pool

As per next season and the following all i ask is Verbeek adds some support for our current kids and upcoming kids. He wants a competitive atmosphere, which is fine, but he has to address the roster now, since the coaching has been addressed.

Anaheim has an opportunity here to be competitive the next decade or so if they do things correctly and not rush things. So I expect some more pain next season but not as much as last year, and with the following season having some hope for a playoff spot.

Also, would absolutely trade the 2ndOA for 3rd and 34. I think Fantilli and Carlsson are very close and to add another asset to get the other one? Why not.

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The 2ndOA pick is not going to put us over the top. Too many holes to fill. But the good thing is we have the deepest D prospect pool in the league. Have 6 draft picks through the 1st three rounds, including a 2ndOA pick. Will be a good draft to fill some of that forward prospect pool

As per next season and the following all i ask is Verbeek adds some support for our current kids and upcoming kids. He wants a competitive atmosphere, which is fine, but he has to address the roster now, since the coaching has been addressed.

Anaheim has an opportunity here to be competitive the next decade or so if they do things correctly and not rush things. So I expect some more pain next season but not as much as last year, and with the following season having some hope for a playoff spot.

Also, would absolutely trade the 2ndOA for 3rd and 34. I think Fantilli and Carlsson are very close and to add another asset to get the other one? Why not.
I wouldn’t move away from 2/3 tho…. I don’t see many big skilled centers in the next couple drafts…. This is our best opportunity to grab a big center

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t move away from 2/3 tho…. I don’t see many big skilled centers in the next couple drafts…. This is our best opportunity to grab a big center

Agreed. Dropping to 3rd to add an asset makes sense, but would Columbus really want to insure their pick and lose an asset in the process?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That is the $64k question. It is possible if both of the following are true (1) the want Carlsson badly and (2) they credibly believe that the Ducks might take him.

It’s like a poker game right now. Lol

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It’s like a poker game right now. Lol
Yes it is.

The way the ducks are discussing who we’ll pick makes me wonder if they are trying to bait a trade to 3 or 4.

Moving down from 2 to 3 for 34 seems like a no brainer if you have both fantilli and carlsson in same tier.
Trading down to 4 seems the least likely of the scenarios quite honestly b/c it would mean giving SJ either Fantilli or Carlsson. If there is a trade down, I would guess 95% chance it is to 3 and 5% chance it is to 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad