Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like Carlsson a lot but I just wonder if he is getting a bit over-hyped by everyone except the NHL scouts.
I agree.

I think a bit of people also read too far into the WC also.

I think the comforting thing is... even if we do go a non fantilli route... were still getting a franchise changing player in Carlsson (or even Michkov/Smith).

If were not taking fantilli... id prob see what kind of bidding war we can get from columbus/sj.

Reactions: lwvs84 and tomd

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, as long as one of Carlsson/Fantilli goes to the Ducks and neither of them goes to SJ, I'm good.
SJ still gunna get Michkov or Smith (both game changers in their own right), but ya theyll still be heavily lacking in terms of size up front.

Im actually interested in the sharks draft/offseason... they have a big chance to hit it out of the park this draft year.

The defense was pretty weak in terms of youth but they added Mukhamadullin + Okhotiuk.. which were nice pick ups imo. Now they gunna add a top forward prospect, i imagine a top goalie prospect and prob get a pretty good selection at 34.

I wonder if the sharks consider going Leonard tho? I imagine that pick will be able to add another 1st/high 2nd depending on how far you go down.

Michkov most years is a no brainer...

But this year you have 2 big centers on the board... and in the western conference you take the big center.

Grabbing michkov basically means 2 more top 5 picks for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
SJ still gunna get Michkov or Smith (both game changers in their own right), but ya theyll still be heavily lacking in terms of size up front.

Im actually interested in the sharks draft/offseason... they have a big chance to hit it out of the park this draft year.

The defense was pretty weak in terms of youth but they added Mukhamadullin + Okhotiuk.. which were nice pick ups imo. Now they gunna add a top forward prospect, i imagine a top goalie prospect and prob get a pretty good selection at 34.

I wonder if the sharks consider going Leonard tho? I imagine that pick will be able to add another 1st/high 2nd depending on how far you go down.

Michkov most years is a no brainer...

But this year you have 2 big centers on the board... and in the western conference you take the big center.

Grabbing michkov basically means 2 more top 5 picks for us.
You take Michkov for the regular season; you take Fantilli/Carlsson if you are serious about winning a SC

Reactions: lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don’t necessarily disagree, but kucherov was pretty dang important to TB cup runs.
Yes he was and small wingers can be important but I don't think TB wins any SC's without Stamkos and Hedman. You've got to have a franchise level center or defenseman before you can even think about SC contention. This is the draft to get the center.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Yes he was and small wingers can be important but I don't think TB wins any SC's without Stamkos and Hedman. You've got to have a franchise level center or defenseman before you can even think about SC contention. This is the draft to get the center.

The logic doesn’t really follow, because they also don’t win without Kucherov. The guy lead the team in scoring both years putting up 66 points in 48 games..

TB was basically Toronto in the playoffs until they added much needed toughness to mix with the skill. Maroon, Schenn, Goodrow, Bogosian, etc. Basically a modern nhl version of the Ducks SC team

That only makes my point. The team needs toughness for sure, but you can get that via free agency and/or depth prospects.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The logic doesn’t really follow, because they also don’t win without Kucherov. The guy lead the team in scoring both years putting up 66 points in 48 games..

That only makes my point. The team needs toughness for sure, but you can get that via free agency and/or depth prospects.
Ill put you down as a vote for Michkov. I could be wrong but I think you and I were arguing a couple of years ago about McTavish and eklund.

Heckyea

Jun 24, 2023
Players I've denoted that we could chase after in previous posts:

6'3 RW Halttunen (PF)
6'3 F Nelson (PF, converted from D)
6'2 LW Suniev (BCHL)
6'3 LW Myatovic (noted more for his defense)
6'3 RD Andrew Gibson (fast skating, still developing his defense)
6'0 C Carey Terrance (high end skater, needs to work on defense)

Newer prospects to keep an eye on:

6'3 C Anton Wahlberg (PF)
6'3 RW Zachary Nehring (high schooler)
6'6 G Damien Clara
6'2 RD Dylan MacKinnon (shutdown D, with potential for more offense ... like D Hinds)
The #2 pick is so crucial because you're completely changing the dynamic of the team and how the RFA deals go down. If they draft a 1C like Fantili or Carlsson they can shift Z to wing and draft some wing/rhd fillers in the 2nd round.

BUT if they go with Michkov then they stick with maxing out Z as 1/2C and have to pick up a big C for the 32nd pick.

Personally I want that 1C but if they go with Matvei then they absolutely need to draft either Stramel/Nelson or one of the big Swedes as their 3/4C.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

clickbait I assume, but hey,
1687626655995.jpeg

Heckyea

Jun 24, 2023
Also, I'd totally be fine with trading down with Montreal to grab Smith since he's completely underrated. So that means there are 3/4 possible picks that are potential 1C players in the next couple years.
The #2 pick is so crucial because you're completely changing the dynamic of the team and how the RFA deals go down. If they draft a 1C like Fantili or Carlsson they can shift Z to wing and draft some wing/rhd fillers in the 2nd round.

BUT if they go with Michkov then they stick with maxing out Z as 1/2C and have to pick up a big C for the 32nd pick.

Personally I want that 1C but if they go with Matvei then they absolutely need to draft either Stramel/Nelson or one of the big Swedes as their 3/4C.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Ill put you down as a vote for Michkov. I could be wrong but I think you and I were arguing a couple of years ago about McTavish and eklund.

I don’t want Michov, but think he’s in the same tier. I just think it’s idiotic to make a blanket statement that he can’t lead you to a cup, because we have no idea.

The only thing I remember arguing with you was about Eichel… and that’s not a good lol for you at the moment.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don’t want Michov, but think he’s in the same tier. I just think it’s idiotic to make a blanket statement that he can’t lead you to a cup, because we have no idea.

The only thing I remember arguing with you was about Eichel… and that’s not a good lol for you at the moment.
SO the ducks win the SC with eichel. Ok then.

And yes, McTavish vs eklund was a thing with us.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

clickbait I assume, but hey,
View attachment 720759

Lol if you listened to the podcast, the “source” was a random
SO the ducks win the SC with eichel. Ok then.

And yes, McTavish vs eklund was a thing with us.

Lol, we would be a whole lot closer with Eichel!

Ok I think I marginally preferred Eklund at the time, but i certainly didn’t feel strongly about it. Also, we still don’t know who the better player is so maybe hold off on your make-believe victory lap.

Isn't this just from the podcast the other day? It does feel like they might not pick Fantilli, but maybe that's me. something just feels a bit off lol, gonna be cool to see.

Yup, and the “source” was just a random fan with no information speculating that Verbeek seems like a guy who could go off the board..

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Maybe for bottom lines but 1st line toughness is near impossible.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Maybe for bottom lines but 1st line toughness is near impossible.

Ok, and who on the Tampa Twam that you mentioned was “1st line toughness”.

1st line toughness is awesome, I would love it, but it’s certainly not a prerequisite for success.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Was Stamkos even 1c when they won their cups? Wasn't point centering the top line?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Arguing over and over that Eichel was damaged goods, now pivoting to Ducks wouldn't have won a cup with him after he leads Vegas to a cup. Nice try.
My arguments were:
1. Significant medical risk
2. $50 million commitment
3. Zegras and McTavish as the likely cost

I stand by them all.

Reactions: Boo Boo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad