Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Its starting to look like SJ will get Fantilli. The Madden high praise for Smith makes it feel he goes #3 to Columbus, then Fantilli #4 to SJ.

Eklund/Fantilli will be quite a duo and will be hard to contain.
I'm not buying it but it would be shades of Shane Wright.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Judging by the responses Madden gave we will be drafting Carlsson.

How would you describe the play styles of Adam Fantilli, Leo Carlsson and Will Smith?
MM:
Fantilli is a fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward. Carlsson is an intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive. Smith is a creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward.
Everything Madden said could be (and probably is) pure posturing but what he said below leaves the door open to moving the pick within the top 5. Moving back to 3 is the only one that makes sense. I don't see either SJ or Montreal having enough to pay the price to move up to 2.

When will you finalize who you are selecting with the second overall pick?
MM:
Well, I think we know, but as scouts we're not the only ones involved in this process. It is still a draft pick, and a lot of things can happen with a draft pick. We've debated the order of our top five and I think we know where the passions of the staff lie. There have been impassioned arguments for those five players. So we know where we stand as a group, and I understand where everyone is at individually. When we have gathered all the information, Pat has made his rounds around the league and has all the info there, that's when we'll make the final decision.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Huh ? As opposed to having them only pick the guy that other teams don't want ?
So lets just draft based on what other teams don't want because thats what you want.
So 10 head NHL scouts is worse than 10 armchair GM fans who think real NHL scouts are uninformed.

What are you talking about? First, while I’m good with either, I lean Fantilli.

Second, my point is no one will have scouted harder who the best selection is at 2 then the ducks scouts, so all I want is for them to block out the noise and take the guy they think is best. I think Mackenzie’s rankings are interesting, but I don’t put a ton of stock in who someone like the avalanche’s scout has at 2 because they probably didn’t spend a lot of time scouting those guys as they don’t have a shot at picking either of them. I don’t see any scenario where a scout for a team would give [accurate] rankings on players that are in their draft area.

It seems your definition of BPA is just who McKenzie tells you is.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
That is exactly what I am saying. The Ducks didn't pick Lindholm because they wanted to be different, they did it because according to their scouts he was the best player. A year where the draft is weaker you are gonna see more surprises. Masch wants them to pick Carlsson just to be different like how it looked to outsiders when they picked Lindholm.

So if the Scouts come to the same conclusion as other scouts have, should they just change their mind for no reason and go the opposite of what they believe just to be different ?

The real scouts don't appear to have Carlsson at #2 and you are overreacting because ur guy Carlsson isn't favored by the the 10 actual head NHL scouts that Bob McKenzie interviewed.
The same 10 head NHL scouts which might include someone from the Ducks that Masch doesn't seem to think they know how to do their job.

You've never been in favor of Fantilli despite what you said before. Its like someone saying Heavy Metal is their favorite music but only listens to Country Music. Everyone sees right thru it.

I guess logic/ reading comprehension ain’t a strong suit? All I’m saying is that i hope the ducks scouts take who they think is best, regardless of who McKenzie has higher.. just like they did when they picked lindholm.

If the ducks scouts think Fantilli is best, I absolutely hope, and know, they will take him and I will be very happy with the selection.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I would put good money on 100% of NHL scouts giving vague answers at best, and incorrect ones at worst, to any member of the media, regarding the prospects that either are in the range they are drafting or that they hope will drop to the range they are drafting. There’s nothing positive that comes of making that info public.

TLDR stop freaking out about everything. Even the Blackhawks haven’t committed to Bedard.

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
I think I speak for everyone advocating for Fantilli when I say this. Is it the 2012 draft thats giving us some sort of post traumatic draft pick syndrome? In that, we took the big sound swede instead of the physically dominating hard nosed north americans? (Trouba, Dumba)
This is definitely why I have any doubt that I do, about us taking Fantilli...

Sure Hampus was/is great... But I still would prefer Trouba. Just like the intangibles he brings more than Lindholms

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Interesting take. Not saying you're wrong. But my thought is Carlsson has the higher ceiling and Fantilli the higher floor. With his size and speed/skating, I think Fantilli has a very high floor (because those traits will always translate) whereas you never really know how players are going to adjust coming from Europe to North America and Carlsson's skating is not really elite. I also think theres a higher probability Fantilli remains at Center, though both might end up there. Not suggesting Carlssson is likely to be a bust . . just that there would be more variance in the outcomes.

I actually think Fantilli has the higher ceinling and higher floor. Where the challenge comes for me is I think Carlsson has a slightly higher probability of hitting his ceiling (or close to it).

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Everything Madden said could be (and probably is) pure posturing but what he said below leaves the door open to moving the pick within the top 5. Moving back to 3 is the only one that makes sense. I don't see either SJ or Montreal having enough to pay the price to move up to 2.

When will you finalize who you are selecting with the second overall pick?
MM:
Well, I think we know, but as scouts we're not the only ones involved in this process. It is still a draft pick, and a lot of things can happen with a draft pick. We've debated the order of our top five and I think we know where the passions of the staff lie. There have been impassioned arguments for those five players. So we know where we stand as a group, and I understand where everyone is at individually. When we have gathered all the information, Pat has made his rounds around the league and has all the info there, that's when we'll make the final decision.
Apparently the Duck FO has more diverse opinions on #2 than this board does.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm not buying it but it would be shades of Shane Wright.
He does seem to be getting the Shane Wright treatment, from Coach canada acting like Fantilli kicked his dog into the river like Jack Black in Anchorman to him being downplayed by Madden.

I have a sneaky suspicion the Ducks are are picking Carlsson…I’m a bit disappointed but I trust them
Agreed, i'd bet at this point 75% its Carlsson, 10% its Smith, 15% its Fantilli. Lets hope whoever they pick they are right with it like with Rakell/Palmieri and not like Holland/Ritchie.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He does seem to be getting the Shane Wright treatment, from Coach canada acting like Fantilli kicked his dog into the river like Jack Black in Anchorman to him being downplayed by Madden.

Agreed, i'd bet at this point 75% its Carlsson, 10% its Smith, 15% its Fantilli. Lets hope whoever they pick they are right with it like with Rakell/Palmieri and not like Holland/Ritchie.
Downplayed by Madden? In the article that Static posted? How?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Downplayed by Madden? In the article that Static posted? How?
How would you describe the play styles of Adam Fantilli, Leo Carlsson and Will Smith?
MM:
Fantilli is a fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward. Carlsson is an intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive. Smith is a creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward.

not gushing is being considered downplayed for some reason.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
MM:

not gushing is being considered downplayed for some reason.
He gives a one-sentence summary of each player, which is the call of the question. It doesn't seem inaccurate either. I don't get it.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’ve kinda felt over the years that Madden is a very matter of fact and seemingly honest guy. Like he’s pretty blunt about player upside and descriptions. I think what people are picking up on is the ‘straight-line’ adjective. He just didn’t take the time to find a word that was a little softer.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He gives a one-sentence summary of each player, which is the call of the question. It doesn't seem inaccurate either. I don't get it.
I get that and I'm not going to read too much into what he said. But having said that, if you take the names away and rate the players strictly based upon his descriptions, how would you rank them?

Here's how I would:
1st - creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward
2nd - intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive
3rd - fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad