Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The part that made me think they were thinking Carlsson was actually this:

When we have gathered all the information, Pat has made his rounds around the league and has all the info there, that's when we'll make the final decision.

Again, I could be reading too much into it, but sure feels like they mean potentially getting of 2nd OA. I don't think you even consider that if Fantilli is your guy. That and the brief descriptions, which you both alluded to.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Also that statement to me is typical management parlance when talking about important and sensitive stuff like the draft, trades, signing etc. I think that's an incredibly general statement and it speaks more to their process of how they make their final decision rather than implying a bias for a certain player.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The part that made me think they were thinking Carlsson was actually this:

When we have gathered all the information, Pat has made his rounds around the league and has all the info there, that's when we'll make the final decision.

Again, I could be reading too much into it, but sure feels like they mean potentially getting of 2nd OA. I don't think you even consider that if Fantilli is your guy. That and the brief descriptions, which you both alluded to.
Well, that kind of matches with the 4D chess I mentioned in the post above. There is possibly a deal to be made with Columbus where the Ducks could pick up another asset. The most logical situation would be if Columbus really wants Carlsson and they also think the Ducks want him as well. Could they be enticed to give up 34OA to move up one spot and be guaranteed Carlsson? The Ducks would still take Fantilli but would have weaponized that draft slot perfectly. And that is perhaps why we are hearing that the Ducks are leaning towards Carlsson. Just spitballing here but the logic does flow.

Reactions: Duck Off

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Well, that kind of matches with the 4D chess I mentioned in the post above. There is possibly a deal to be made with Columbus where the Ducks could pick up another asset. The most logical situation would be if Columbus really wants Carlsson and they also think the Ducks want him as well. Could they be enticed to give up 34OA to move up one spot and be guaranteed Carlsson? The Ducks would still take Fantilli but would have weaponized that draft slot perfectly. And that is perhaps why we are hearing that the Ducks are leaning towards Carlsson. Just spitballing here but the logic does flow.
And I think Columbus calls the bluff on that. They'll take whichever of the two Anaheim doesn't and lose exactly no sleep over the results.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that feels like Anaheim is leaning towards Carlsson, which I'd be really disappointed with. Ever since the Lindholm pick, I've tried to not get too frustrated at who we pick, but I *really* want Fantilli.
I think you're reading too much into it. I didn't get a sense if preference either way.

Reactions: Duck Off

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
And I think Columbus calls the bluff on that. They'll take whichever of the two Anaheim doesn't and lose exactly no sleep over the results.
As I said, it would all be predicated on Columbus strongly preferring Carlsson and fearing that the Ducks are going to take him at #2. Not sure how likely that is or not but if Columbus can't get Carlsson they may go for Smith over Fantilli. There seems to be a lot of love there for Smith.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
As I said, it would all be predicated on Columbus strongly preferring Carlsson and fearing that the Ducks are going to take him at #2. Not sure how likely that is or not but if Columbus can't get Carlsson they may go for Smith over Fantilli. There seems to be a lot of love there for Smith.
Lmfao “ fearing us taking carlsson” I actually spit out my iced tea.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Anything is possible at this point. In fact, things are so crazy I wouldn't be surprised if the order at the top went Bedard-Carlsson-Smith-Fantilli. But then again, I don't have your sources!! ;)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I’m asking you to tone it down with this. It’s not 100 percent that it will be Fantilli. If you want to debate why you disagree it will never be Carlsson, that’s fine, but laughing at other members because they might think it will be Carlsson, is over the top.

• Haha
Reactions: ff8

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Anything is possible at this point. In fact, things are so crazy I wouldn't be surprised if the order at the top went Bedard-Carlsson-Smith-Fantilli. But then again, I don't have your sources!! ;)
That would literally be the definition of living in alternate universes tbh. Lol. Draft can’t get here soon enough. 🙏🏼

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
This all could be a runaround for Michkov. I’m beginning to get a hunch it will be him. It’s the players Pat V doesn’t talk about are chosen. Last year in Minty and the year before with Mason. Heck if we can get Arizona to trade 6 & 12 and snag Michkov & a possible falling Benson/ Dvorsky I call that a win

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that feels like Anaheim is leaning towards Carlsson, which I'd be really disappointed with. Ever since the Lindholm pick, I've tried to not get too frustrated at who we pick, but I *really* want Fantilli.
My toughts also...he described Fantili like he is middle first round pick...
Also strange he used imposing and competitive when speaking about Carlsson...considering those are qualities which i think Pat likes a lot.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I got “we aren’t saying anything” out of that :dunno:

Reactions: ScarTroy

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If PV and the Ducks are playing 4D chess then maybe they are trying to put doubt in the minds of Columbus perhaps guessing (or knowing) that the BJ's want Carlsson. In that case, PV may be able to extract something from Columbus to switch 2/3 with the Ducks. Maybe 34OA from Columbus for the Ducks to move to 3rd? Just thinking out loud here...no suggesting it is what is actually happening.
Or if they have Carlsson ranked well ahead of Smith, they're trying to make sure he doesn't last too San Jose... but I really doubt teams read as much as fans do into interviews.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
I'm still in the Fantilli camp, but if I had to guess, the thing that might give the FO pause (though it wouldn't affect my decision) is that him going back to college for another year actually seems to be a very real thing, whereas they can sign Carlsson and get him into San Diego under the organization's umbrella and develop him on their terms immediately.

Reactions: Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I've never heard Smith described as 'Fast' until Madden said it that is what I find very interesting. Is there something we didn't see with Smith's skating ?
Madden saying very little about Fantilli but more detailed about Smith and Carlsson could be his way of trying to avoid saying too much about Fantilli to not give it away or giving extra praise to the ones he's not picking.

Reactions: lwvs84

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Judging by the responses Madden gave we will be drafting Carlsson.

How would you describe the play styles of Adam Fantilli, Leo Carlsson and Will Smith?
MM:
Fantilli is a fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward. Carlsson is an intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive. Smith is a creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
If we don’t pick fantilli, it should be because we accept a trade with Montreal and fleece them. Only way it works in a non fantilli world imho

Reactions: lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad