Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
The #2 pick is so crucial because you're completely changing the dynamic of the team and how the RFA deals go down. If they draft a 1C like Fantili or Carlsson they can shift Z to wing and draft some wing/rhd fillers in the 2nd round.

BUT if they go with Michkov then they stick with maxing out Z as 1/2C and have to pick up a big C for the 32nd pick.

Personally I want that 1C but if they go with Matvei then they absolutely need to draft either Stramel/Nelson or one of the big Swedes as their 3/4C.
Mctavish is a center also, remember him? Guachier also is a center… lundestrom etc

Reactions: Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So i've done some digging and it appears that actually Carlsson has a good to very good shot but just doesn't use it enough like Getzlaf. Also if Madden is calling him Imposing then perhaps he's capable of being more mean and physical if he's not playing in a euro league/euro tournament ?
If he can channel his inner Viking aka Landeskog/Lindholm and be more physical that would be pretty nice.

If he's the pick then I got to change my avatar to a bottle of Swedish Vodka, suggestions on which brand lol ? :D

Reactions: Kalv and Beckett

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
So i've done some digging and it appears that actually Carlsson has a good to very good shot but just doesn't use it enough like Getzlaf. Also if Madden is calling him Imposing then perhaps he's capable of being more mean and physical if he's not playing in a euro league/euro tournament ?
If he can channel his inner Viking aka Landeskog/Lindholm and be more physical that would be pretty nice.

If he's the pick then I got to change my avatar to a bottle of Swedish Vodka, suggestions on which brand lol ? :D
Maybe, carlsson is a madden guy. Yet when it’s all said and done, GM PV will still draft his guy fantilli?

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Unfortunately path to win SC is being able ice a playoff roster that is $15m over the cap.

Manipulating the LTIR seems to be as important as the draft, FA, etc.

For all Kucherov or Stone brings to their teams, surgeries had the greatest impact.

John

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Unfortunately path to win SC is being able ice a playoff roster that is $15m over the cap.

Manipulating the LTIR seems to be as important as the draft, FA, etc.

For all Kucherov or Stone brings to their teams, surgeries had the greatest impact.

John

Don’t forget being in a low-tax state where your salary Cap goes further, that doesn’t hurt,

Reactions: lwvs84

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Maybe, carlsson is a madden guy. Yet when it’s all said and done, GM PV will still draft his guy fantilli?
Wouldn't surprise me Verbeek may personally have a different view because PV is scouting too and may have a different opinion than Madden on players but it's more than just them its the whole scouting staff with their own view.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Ok, and who on the Tampa Twam that you mentioned was “1st line toughness”.

1st line toughness is awesome, I would love it, but it’s certainly not a prerequisite for success.
Obviously they didn't
Ok, and who on the Tampa Twam that you mentioned was “1st line toughness”.

1st line toughness is awesome, I would love it, but it’s certainly not a prerequisite for success.
I didn't say they have it, I said it would be it's near impossible to find. If it's available that's a huge bonus

Reactions: AngelDuck

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Agreed, having tough, mean stars will set the whole team up for a no-backing-down-attitude. There will not be a need to look out for guys as much and those hard nosed players will instead get to concentrate disrupting the opposition.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

Maybe Frank was just assuming the Ducks would take Fantilli in this but still a bit interesting that he framed everything he said in the context of the Ducks taking him. Also brought up a Malkin comp which is one i haven’t heard yet. The other guy said he could see Fantilli having a better rookie year than Bedard.

Heckyea

Jun 24, 2023
Mctavish is a center also, remember him? Guachier also is a center… lundestrom
The general rule is you can't have enough Centers. I'm fine with them going for the most offensively talented player besides Bedard. BUT the Ducks are definitely picking up a big Center at the start of the 2nd round if they do choose Michkov.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
The general rule is you can't have enough Centers. I'm fine with them going for the most offensively talented player besides Bedard. BUT the Ducks are definitely picking up a big Center at the start of the 2nd round if they do choose Michkov.
If we chose michokov it’s ONLY if we trade down to #5 with Montreal and he’s still there. There is an actual literal 0% chance we take him #2 imho

Reactions: Kalv
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Maybe Frank was just assuming the Ducks would take Fantilli in this but still a bit interesting that he framed everything he said in the context of the Ducks taking him. Also brought up a Malkin comp which is one i haven’t heard yet. The other guy said he could see Fantilli having a better rookie year than Bedard.

It’s a little out of their lane and there’s a lot of variables missing, hence the info isn’t quite as reliable, but I do think it’s telling that seemingly every major insider expects that to be the pick. To fans it’s the first major spot of intrigue and they’re really not acting like it is. They’re not nearly as reliable for this kind of stuff, and it is still pretty early, but yeah I think it’s noteworthy.

The last mock drafts, especially Pronman’s, will be interesting to see, even if there’s a good chance they play it safe. It’ll also be very interesting to see what Aaron Portzline in Columbus is saying once everyone gets to Nashville.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Just posting some quotes around Fantilli and Carlsson from Tony Ferrari on this year's draft:

Draft Rankings:
2. Adam Fantilli, C, Univ. of Michigan (NCAA), 6-foot-2, 195 pounds

The most complete player in the draft and a legitimate candidate to be a franchise No. 1 center, Fantilli is going closer to Bedard than anyone is admitting publicly. The University of Michigan product blends power, skill and speed, unlike any prospect in the draft class. Fantilli understands the nuances of the defensive game and turns play around as swiftly as anyone. Fantilli drives play so positively at both ends of the ice, using his skating and intelligence to identify the dangerous play and attack the opponents when they are vulnerable. Fantilli is a high-level finisher who can beat you from distance or collect a puck in tight and tuck it behind a netminder. His playmaking is impressive as well, using changes of pace and his frame to create separation to open passing lanes. The Ontario-born center is the only player ever to win a gold medal at the world juniors and World Championship, as well as the Hobey Baker in their draft year. In just about any other draft, Fantilli would have gone first overall going back to 2016. The Anaheim Ducks should be over the moon with the No. 2 pick.

3. Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro (SHL), 6-foot-3, 198 pounds

A natural center who has played on the wing quite a bit this season, Carlsson has a blend of skill and strength that makes him such an interesting prospect. The power in his game isn’t used to blow guys up with big hits; rather, he uses his strength to protect the puck, put defenders on his back and drive to open space. He is a skilled passer who makes plays under pressure and uses the threat of his shot effectively. He possesses a very good shot and gets his chances from in tight, using his puck skill and body to find holes in a netminders positioning. His skating has taken big strides this season. He played with Sweden’s men’s team at the World Championship as the No. 1 center alongside Lucas Raymond and Jonatan Berggren. With three goals and two assists in eight games, Carlsson was the best draft-eligible player at the tournament.

Draft Mailbag
Chris asks: What do you think of Leo Carlsson being the best player from the draft class in five years? I love his intelligence and vision. Do you think he could get there?

I would love to see this happen, but I think it would be a tall task. Connor Bedard is going to be unreal, I think that’s safe to say. He’d have to wildly disappoint. Adam Fantilli could be one of the best No. 2 picks in the last couple of decades and would challenge for first overall in a lot of draft classes. Matvei Michkov’s upside is insane, and he could be an offensive juggernaut.

Leo Carlsson could be a No. 1 center in the NHL and still be the fourth-best player in the draft class. That’s how good the top end of this group is. With that said, Carlsson has a fantastic toolset, and it wouldn’t shock me if he was the second-best player in the class. At the moment, I'm ranking Bedard first, then Fantilli, Michkov and Carlsson in order.

Union and Blue ask: For Columbus, which center projects higher - Leo Carlsson or Will Smith?

For me, Leo Carlsson is ahead here. He’s a safer player, a more projectable center, and his production upside is as high or higher. Will Smith is flashier, more entertaining to watch and could be a dynamic presence that Columbus hasn’t really had since Artemi Panarin, but you’ve got Kent Johnson for that. The other factor here is there is a reality in which Smith winds up on the wing. I take Carlsson regardless of the position you see these guys playing, but especially if you’re looking for a center.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

Steve7812

Feb 5, 2018
New York
It’s a little out of their lane and there’s a lot of variables missing, hence the info isn’t quite as reliable, but I do think it’s telling that seemingly every major insider expects that to be the pick. To fans it’s the first major spot of intrigue and they’re really not acting like it is. They’re not nearly as reliable for this kind of stuff, and it is still pretty early, but yeah I think it’s noteworthy.

The last mock drafts, especially Pronman’s, will be interesting to see, even if there’s a good chance they play it safe. It’ll also be very interesting to see what Aaron Portzline in Columbus is saying once everyone gets to Nashville.
Pronmans 1 week out Mock on Wednesday had ducks taking Fantilli noting that half league think they will take Fantilli and other half Carlsson. He did a mock draft podcast yesterday on athletic with Max Bultman, Chris Peters and Scott Wheeler and all still seemed to think Fantilli will be #2 although its not straightforward . He seemed pretty accurate in his mock draft last year a week out with Habs taking slafkovsky. But who knows next few days will be interesting like you say.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
How mad are people gonna be if Smith is the pick at #2 ? Given how much praise he got from Madden its a very slim but not impossible chance.
Madden describes him as 'fast' so maybe his ceiling is Brayden Point ?
Based on just skill alone he could end up producing more points than Fantilli and Carlsson.
He's got elite playmaking, elite IQ, elite Shot, apparently fast skater according to Madden.

I wouldn't be mad, he could end up like Point.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Man the point was to guarantee a top 3 pick and we ended up with the second best pick possible. Why do you have to be so sour about it? The season was shot.
Hockey is the only sport I give a damn about anymore and I don't have a lot of other stuff in my life that brings me much happiness so I never wanted to see my team finish dead last especially after they have been a NHL team for almost 30 years.

Being sure to draft top 3 doesn't guarantee anything the player we pick could bust or be a disappointment.

A part of me (because misery loves company) wants to see whoever we pick be a bust or at least a disappointment just so those fans who cheered on the Ducks to lose to feel worse then they did after losing the 1st overall pick in the draft lottery.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: AngelDuck and Rasp

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
How mad are people gonna be if Smith is the pick at #2 ? Given how much praise he got from Madden its a very slim but not impossible chance.
Madden describes him as 'fast' so maybe his ceiling is Brayden Point ?
Based on just skill alone he could end up producing more points than Fantilli and Carlsson.
He's got elite playmaking, elite IQ, elite Shot, apparently fast skater according to Madden.

I wouldn't be mad, he could end up like Point.
I’d be mad because we can surely trade down to get Smith.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
My arguments were:
1. Significant medical risk
2. $50 million commitment
3. Zegras and McTavish as the likely cost

I stand by them all.
If you're standing by #3, then your not living in reality. The return Buffalo received was far less than Zegras and McTavish. They didn't receive even one asset that had the value of either of those two guys. Tuch, who finally had a break out year, didn't come close to having that kind of value when he was traded.

The other issue you omit, which I think was a driving factor, is that Eichel probably would have been very unhappy on a losing Anaheim team. He wanted out of Buffalo because of the losing and Anaheim would have been more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad