2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If we don't trade the 13th would love to move up a bit to ensure that we get Reinbacher after that throw the dart board.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we don't trade the 13th would love to move up a bit to ensure that we get Reinbacher after that throw the dart board.
This is my yearly reminder that I need to create a Word doc with the research into how draft pick trade ups in the early first round of the NHL Draft have been really, really, really, rare over the past 10-15 years so I can just re-post it during the run up to the draft.

:sarcasm:

Last year you did see the Yotes trade 27 + 2 2nds to SJ for 11.

In 2021, you saw 22+2nd+5th for 14.

In 2020, you saw 22+3rd for 19.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
This is my yearly reminder that I need to create a Word doc with the research into how draft pick trade ups in the early first round of the NHL Draft have been really, really, really, rare over the past 10-15 years so I can just re-post it during the run up to the draft.

Unless they make a big move for a 3/4 D, this would be my expectation. Trade back in the 1st and pick up some additional assets (esp in 24 draft) that can be flipped for middle of the lineup help, 1B G, TDL fill-ins.

Our forward pipeline is overflowing and the D-pickings are light this year. 2024 draft assets might carry a lot of value given our current situation.

Reactions: HOOats

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
The challenge is that you will never get rankings that accurately predict what will happen.

Just look at the NFL Draft. If a mock draft machine had Jack Campbell going in the top 20, people would have said the rankings were wrong. Or Gibbs and Robinson going as early as they did.
Oh, I know. But any rankings in these systems that have Reinbacher in the mid to late 20s (or even later) are woefully out of date.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't think it's possible after people come out of being steeped in NFL drafting to actually get them to realize how very little it happens at the NHL draft, particularly on draft day.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oh, I know. But any rankings in these systems that have Reinbacher in the mid to late 20s (or even later) are woefully out of date.

The non-NHLCS ranks average out to 19.4.

So, going in the mid-20s would certainly be possible.

FC has him ranked 20th and DPH had him ranked 21st.

So, not far off from the average.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

The non-NHLCS ranks average out to 19.4.

So, going in the mid-20s would certainly be possible.

FC has him ranked 20th and DPH had him ranked 21st.

So, not far off from the average.
Fwiw as of this week post U18s, Pronman has Reinbacher at 7 and Wheeler has him at 15 - 1st D in both.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
When was the last time no defenseman was draftet in the top 10?
1999 was as far as I cared to look back, Branislav Mezei to the Isles at 10.

I think the well-read draftniks on our board (not me) 100% expect Reinbacher to be picked top 10, especially when positional value and his strong spring are considered.

Tried to use ChatGPT to find the last time a D didn't go top 10...and got this. Our jobs seem safe for a few more months at least.

-"When was the last time a defenseman was not selected in the top 10 of the NHL Draft?"
-"The last time a defenseman was not selected in the top 10 of the NHL Draft was in 2016. Olli Juolevi was the first defenseman taken in that draft and was selected by the Vancouver Canucks with the 5th overall pick."
-"No..."
-"I apologize for my errors in my previous response. I misunderstood the original question. To provide an accurate answer, the last time no defenseman was selected in the top 10 of the NHL Draft was in 1999. That year, the first defenseman selected was Barrett Heisten, who was taken by the Buffalo Sabres with the 20th overall pick."

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

I think the well-read draftniks on our board (not me) 100% expect Reinbacher to be picked top 10, especially when positional value and his strong spring are considered.

Tried to use ChatGPT to find the last time a D didn't go top 10...and got this. Our jobs seem safe for a few more months at least.

-"When was the last time a defenseman was not selected in the top 10 of the NHL Draft?"
-"The last time a defenseman was not selected in the top 10 of the NHL Draft was in 2016. Olli Juolevi was the first defenseman taken in that draft and was selected by the Vancouver Canucks with the 5th overall pick."
-"No..."
-"I apologize for my errors in my previous response. I misunderstood the original question. To provide an accurate answer, the last time no defenseman was selected in the top 10 of the NHL Draft was in 1999. That year, the first defenseman selected was Barrett Heisten, who was taken by the Buffalo Sabres with the 20th overall pick."
Thanks for looking that up, I could not remember anx draft where it didn't happen.

And I agree AI can not be trusted.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Thanks for looking that up, I could not remember anx draft where it didn't happen.

And I agree AI can not be trusted.
Lol. That or AI is all-knowing and Darcy/Lindy played Heisten at the wrong position. I never could figure out why he always hit in my AOL sim leagues as a 12 year old but busted in real life.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

-"No..."
At least it wasn't hitting on you.

• Love

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Lol. That or AI is all-knowing and Darcy/Lindy played Heisten at the wrong position. I never could figure out why he always hit in my AOL sim leagues as a 12 year old but busted in real life.
AI are Maple Leafs fans.

'Nuff said.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

-"No..."

1983 is the last time there wasn't at least one defenseman in the top 10 and the first wasn't until pick 14 (Bobby Dollas).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Reinbacher, Sandin Pellikka, Willander, Bonk, Strbak

Maybe one of these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad