2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Haven't seen a ton of Barlow, but what I have seen my concerns are, another shooting winger, and the skating concerns. Leonard in the similar vein I've seen the skating and hands already. If you feel Barlow is clear BPA after it shakes out, sure, no issue, plus there's some sand there. If there's something close in evaluation to balance the pipeline I'd lean that way, I like Barlow but don't think his ceiling is as special as other guys in the top tiers, or rather I just haven't seen it yet.
Chain is right about Leonard but Barlow could also be a power forward type that the cupboard is low on. Teams tend to jump on defensemen and more physical (bigger) guys early on so we might see Barlow or even Musty being reached for.

I think our drafting has been great the past couple years but sometimes I wish they'd just say F it and get a big kid. We've gotten a few bigger value picks but nothing that really projects to be a productive power forward.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm going to give you one warning in this thread - talk about the draft, draft picks, or profiles. Got it?
How is that not a commentary on the quality of the draft? The middle of the round isn’t great. We can’t discuss options for the pick? Given that list I quoted to comment on…nothing is worth taking at 13 given our organizational situation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How is that not a commentary on the quality of the draft? The middle of the round isn’t great. We can’t discuss options for the pick? Given that list I quoted to comment on…nothing is worth taking at 13 given our organizational situation.

There are threads and threads for you to go off on your regular drum beat about the GM or the owner. This ain't one of 'em. Since you don't think there is anything to talk about in this thread, feel free to not.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

76.PNG

Every year you see some guys go earlier than the internet chatter expects.

Every year you see some guys go later than the internet chatter expects.

Jiri Kulich lasting to the 28th pick last year is something that few really expected, for instance.

There is the joke that Yzerman will go off the board after the Seider at 6OV in 2019 happened with Cozens, Zegras, and others on the board.

Maybe we aren't happy with the way the board falls ahead of the Sabres. But, it is more likely that someone is there that could help the Sabres.

The ultimate question is who will the Sabres take. There is a greater than 0% chance that the Sabres take another small, skilled guy at 13 and we are wondering when they will take a D early again.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Chain is right about Leonard but Barlow could also be a power forward type that the cupboard is low on. Teams tend to jump on defensemen and more physical (bigger) guys early on so we might see Barlow or even Musty being reached for.

I think our drafting has been great the past couple years but sometimes I wish they'd just say F it and get a big kid. We've gotten a few bigger value picks but nothing that really projects to be a productive power forward.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Leonard isn’t a big kid, right? He just plays big? (I have barely watched him!)

Reactions: Matt Ress

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Leonard isn’t a big kid, right? He just plays big? (I have barely watched him!)

EP has him at 5'11" 181 lbs.

NHLCS has him at 6' 192 lbs.

For comparison, NHLCS had Kulich at 6' 178 lbs in last year's final rankings.

If I had to describe Leonard size-wise, I think "solid" might be the best label. He's not "big". He's not "small". And he's not "skinny".

:dunno:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He's 5'11"/190 lbs. He's not small and he also isn't trying to Wendel Clarke his way around out there, throwing himself at every big dog to prove something. But he does play a more robust game than any of the team's current forward prospects and is also more than just a finisher on the wing.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Danielson and Ritchie would look good as big C prospects that play different from our pool. I still like Barlow and Leonard, but wouldn't be too upset if they project Willander at #13
I like Danielson and Ritchie but feel we could trade down five spots and still get them. I support doing that.

A high end player will probably fall to us though, like Savoie did last year, who will be hard to turn down for one of the bigger centers.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Projected bubble generational player and elite NHL player (Tier 1)​

1. Connor Bedard, C, Regina (WHL)

Projected elite NHL player (Tier 2)​

2. Adam Fantilli, C, Michigan (BIG10)
3. Matvei Michkov, RW, Ska St. Petersburg (RUSSIA)

Projected NHL All-Star (Tier 4)​

4. Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro (SWEDEN)
5. William Smith, C, Usa U-18 (NTDP)

Projected top of the lineup player (Tier 6)​

6. Nate Danielson, C, Brandon (WHL)
7. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SWISS)
8. Dalibor Dvorsky, C, Aik (SWEDEN-2)
9. Danil But, LW, Yaroslavl Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
10. Dmitriy Simashev, D, Yaroslavl Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)

Projected bubble top and middle of the lineup player (Tier 7)​

11. Gabriel Perreault, RW, Usa U-18 (NTDP)
12. Samuel Honzek, LW, Vancouver (WHL)
13. Ryan Leonard, RW, Usa U-18 (NTDP)
14. Matthew Wood, RW, Uconn (H-EAST)
15. Tom Willander, D, Rogle Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
16. Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw (WHL)
17. Zach Benson, LW, Winnipeg (WHL)
18. David Edstrom, C, Frolunda Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
19. Oliver Moore, C, Usa U-18 (NTDP)
20. Colby Barlow, LW, Owen Sound (OHL)

Middle of the lineup player or starting goaltender (Tier 8)​

21. Quentin Musty, LW, Sudbury (OHL)
22. Axel Sandin Pellikka, D, Skelleftea Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
23. Charlie Stramel, C, Wisconsin (BIG10)
24. Eduard Sale, LW, Brno (CZECHIA)
25. Tanner Molendyk, D, Saskatoon (WHL)
26. Oliver Bonk, D, London (OHL)
27. Calum Ritchie, C, Oshawa (OHL)
28. Otto Stenberg, C, Frolunda Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
29. Gavin Brindley, C, Michigan (BIG10)
30. Mikhail Gulyayev, D, Omsk Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
31. Lukas Dragicevic, D, Tri-City (WHL)
32. Ethan Gauthier, RW, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
33. Danny Nelson, C, Usa U-18 (NTDP)
34. Anton Wahlberg, C, Malmo Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
35. Bradly Nadeau, LW, Penticton (BCHL)
36. Oscar Fisker Molgaard, C, Hv 71 (SWEDEN)
37. Maxim Strbak, D, Sioux Falls (USHL)

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I finally got caught up with the U18s, binged them Sun-Tue.

Unless Reinbacher/Dvorsky drop, I hope they draft whichever of Simashev/Willander they prefer. And I do think Danielsen/But will be good gets at 13, as they are both "types" of forwards we could use in the mix in a few years.

So any of those six work. Hope they don't trade the pick unless they got a really good deal...I think we can add a valuable pick for our Stanley Cup runs.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Jim Bob & Gabe inspired me to go find an unrealistic simulator and try to fix the size problem in the pipeline... could have gone Akey over Halttunen at 45, it was close but the theme was "get swole" with only Macdonell sub-6' (although too much value as a pest at that point). Hrabal would be a sick get at 87, that ain't happening but one can dream:

1683123492277.png

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Jim Bob & Gabe inspired me to go find an unrealistic simulator and try to fix the size problem in the pipeline... could have gone Akey over Halttunen at 45, it was close but the theme was "get swole" with only Macdonell sub-6' (although too much value as a pest at that point). Hrabal would be a sick get at 87, that ain't happening but one can dream:

View attachment 702276
1.PNG

2.PNG

I just did the first three rounds on two different mock draft sims and here is where I landed...

We are setting ourselves up for disappointment if/when Reinbacher goes top 10.

:laugh:

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
View attachment 702304
View attachment 702305

I just did the first three rounds on two different mock draft sims and here is where I landed...

We are setting ourselves up for disappointment if/when Reinbacher goes top 10.

:laugh:
Nah. Just got to accept that they need to update their rankings in the draft tools. Nobody at this point expects Reinbacher to last, or But to go in the mid-40s (unless something unexpected happens).

I love doing these fake drafts but how out of date the rankings are is annoying AF.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Is Wood firmly in the conversation at 13 now after U-18s? Chances he's gone by then (understanding that would push someone else down to us)?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is Wood firmly in the conversation at 13 now after U-18s? Chances he's gone by then (understanding that would push someone else down to us)?

I could see it being a conversation though the team philosophy of having skating being a big consideration prior to selection would work against him as their possible pick. Wood should be in that 6-12 conversation with his NCAA season and now popping at the U18's -- he's shown he can generate chances/goals even with the criticism of his skating so in the mix, sure. I would think he goes a bit ahead of 13 at this point.

Reactions: HOOats

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I would be willing to bet Ryan Conmy gets picked by buffalo in the 5th or 6th rd. Grew up playing Jr. Sabres, knows Adams, Ellis and the development coaches well from that. Also grew up playing for Rivet fwiw.

Kids a stud too, one of my favorite sleepers in the draft. Powerful and swift skater with a legit NHL release, needs to continue adding smart physicality to his game but the kid can flat out score goals and has a nice set of underrated tools to boot.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
When do the final draft rankings come out? Most I see are from Jan-March. Is it still too early? Some are really outdated and have quotes from Oct/Nov 22

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
I'd be happy with Willander, Moore, or Wood if one was available at 13, assuming a top-10 ranked player doesn't happen to fall into the Sabres' lap.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nah. Just got to accept that they need to update their rankings in the draft tools. Nobody at this point expects Reinbacher to last, or But to go in the mid-40s (unless something unexpected happens).

I love doing these fake drafts but how out of date the rankings are is annoying AF.
The challenge is that you will never get rankings that accurately predict what will happen.

Just look at the NFL Draft. If a mock draft machine had Jack Campbell going in the top 20, people would have said the rankings were wrong. Or Gibbs and Robinson going as early as they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad