2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
7. David Reinbacher: Something of an Alex Pietrangelo/Alex Edler type of top pairing defenseman.

10. Axel Sandin Pellikka: Devon Toews. A fast pure puck mover with all-around capability. Likes to keep things calm and steady.

21. Tom Willander: Rasmus Andersson. Calm, focused and can activate pucks from the backend. He's another guy whose U-18 probably has him leapfrogging up the board as a potential top 4 defenseman that works in many roles.

25. Dmitri Simashev: Mattias Ekholm. Lanky Russian defenseman is a mobile, shutdown guy with an underrated offensive skillset and ability to skate with the puck.

33. Oliver Bonk: Matt Niskanen. A dependable, non-flashy defenseman that can move pucks along, while play solid defense. Owns a nice shot, too. Probably 2nd pairing upside.

38. Maxim Strbak: Esa Lindell. Shutdown defenseman that likes to make life miserable for opposing forwards. He's able to keep the puck in motion, too.

44. Hunter Brzustewicz: Gustav Forsling. He's a prototypical puck-moving defenseman that owns a pretty solid base. While he doesn't own a blistering shot, he makes up for it with clever playmaking ability at the line.

57. Andrew Gibson: Connor Murphy. He blends size, skating and two-way ability to play a simple, all-around style of game, aiding in transitioning and physicality.

64. Gavin McCarthy: Damon Severson. There's a bit of Severson to his game. He's mobile, physical and has potential top 4 upside due to his overall athletic prowess and background.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
7. David Reinbacher: Something of an Alex Pietrangelo/Alex Edler type of top pairing defenseman.

10. Axel Sandin Pellikka: Devon Toews. A fast pure puck mover with all-around capability. Likes to keep things calm and steady.

21. Tom Willander: Rasmus Andersson. Calm, focused and can activate pucks from the backend. He's another guy whose U-18 probably has him leapfrogging up the board as a potential top 4 defenseman that works in many roles.

25. Dmitri Simashev: Mattias Ekholm. Lanky Russian defenseman is a mobile, shutdown guy with an underrated offensive skillset and ability to skate with the puck.

33. Oliver Bonk: Matt Niskanen. A dependable, non-flashy defenseman that can move pucks along, while play solid defense. Owns a nice shot, too. Probably 2nd pairing upside.

38. Maxim Strbak: Esa Lindell. Shutdown defenseman that likes to make life miserable for opposing forwards. He's able to keep the puck in motion, too.

44. Hunter Brzustewicz: Gustav Forsling. He's a prototypical puck-moving defenseman that owns a pretty solid base. While he doesn't own a blistering shot, he makes up for it with clever playmaking ability at the line.

57. Andrew Gibson: Connor Murphy. He blends size, skating and two-way ability to play a simple, all-around style of game, aiding in transitioning and physicality.

64. Gavin McCarthy: Damon Severson. There's a bit of Severson to his game. He's mobile, physical and has potential top 4 upside due to his overall athletic prowess and background.
Cameron Allen goes from a top 10 pick at the beginning of the year to falling completely off the charts. If he is there in the 3rd round I would take a stab at him. He could be a steal of the draft.

I think one of the best defenseman in the draft. Very good in defense and there is a lot of potential to improve the game in attack.

Scouting Report: Dmitri Simashev - Smaht Scouting
Watched the scouting videos on him. He looks very raw and some poor decisions in some situations and in others he looks like a top 10 pick. He skating is very good for a big man but could be more physical.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Watched the scouting videos on him. He looks very raw and some poor decisions in some situations and in others he looks like a top 10 pick. He skating is very good for a big man but could be more physical.
Yes, he has something to work on, but he is already very good in defense, with good skating and size, already playing in the KHL at the age of 17. I think Reinbacher and Simashev are two favorites for me, if you choose only from defenders.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Yes, he has something to work on, but he is already very good in defense, with good skating and size, already playing in the KHL at the age of 17. I think Reinbacher and Simashev are two favorites for me, if you choose only from defenders.
I completely agree, being a big man skating and decision making is what you want to see at his age. He can be taught the rest.(one would hope)

Reactions: Fjordy

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
A lot of prospect rankings I’ve looked at have Reinbacher going after pick #13 which I think is crazy. One can dream.

Would be happy with ASP as he is a system fit. Super confident with the puck and likes to hold onto It and develop plays. His shot is sneaky good too. He’s not the big size defensive stalwart that we are clamoring for, but long term the talent would be nice to have on the back end in a few years when Power and Dahlin really round out their complete game. ASP reminds me a lot of Dahlin with his smooth puck skills, with a bit more explosiveness to his skating. Haven’t watched enough game footage to comment on his defensive play though.

Ultimately I think there will be a few forwards available at #13 that will be hard to pass on. Either way we’re going to come away with a solid player.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
A lot of prospect rankings I’ve looked at have Reinbacher going after pick #13 which I think is crazy. One can dream.

Would be happy with ASP as he is a system fit. Super confident with the puck and likes to hold onto It and develop plays. His shot is sneaky good too. He’s not the big size defensive stalwart that we are clamoring for, but long term the talent would be nice to have on the back end in a few years when Power and Dahlin really round out their complete game. ASP reminds me a lot of Dahlin with his smooth puck skills, with a bit more explosiveness to his skating. Haven’t watched enough game footage to comment on his defensive play though.

Ultimately I think there will be a few forwards available at #13 that will be hard to pass on. Either way we’re going to come away with a solid player.
Everyone is all over the place as usual. I generally expect the top tier guys, then top defensemen, then bigger but skilled guys to be valued the highest. I think we'll have a better idea after the lotto

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I would take Simashev at #13 instead ASP if Reinbacher is not already on the table.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I would take Simashev at #13 instead ASP if Reinbacher is not already on the table.
ASP skating and IQ is elite. I think Reinacher and ASP are off the board by 13. I don't mind trading the pick for a defender but it doesn't seem like thats Adam's style.

I would be ok with drafting ASP except its not really the type of player we need. Buffalo needs to be more physical especially in the playoffs.(If we ever make it)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
ASP skating and IQ is elite. I think Reinacher and ASP are off the board by 13. I don't mind trading the pick for a defender but it doesn't seem like thats his style.

I would be ok with drafting ASP except its not really the type of player we need. Buffalo needs to be more physical especially in the playoffs.(If we ever make it)
Well, I like Simashev more, because he is an elite in defense, but not ASP. He has all the tools, skating and potential to improve offensively, but he's still good with the puck, he has good hands.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If Buffalo wins the 3rd pick do you trade back to 7-8 and pick Reinbacher and pick up something good or make the pick and take?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
We have the ammo to get Rein if thats the guy we want. Trade as many picks as possible, our forward prospect pool is insane.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If Buffalo wins the 3rd pick do you trade back to 7-8 and pick Reinbacher and pick up something good or make the pick and take?
I'd consider it for sure. A lot of appeal in adding an unprotected 1st from a likely bad team next year and a useful roster player while still adding the coveted RHD prospect.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Move the pick for something BIG right now or select Carlsson / Fantilli / Michkov and move out one of the 2022 picks for something tasty.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
If we win the lottery you take Michkov/Carlsson and trade 13 up to get Reinbacher. That talent influx to the team would just be ridiculous haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad