Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Monahan plays on a bad team, so I grant that. And he is big and can win a faceoff.

But he is a one way powerplay merchant.

He has as many even strength points as Danton Heinen and one more than Morgan Geekie. Only three more than Poitras.

That’s not someone I’m giving up good assets for.

Edit: And even pre-injuries in his prime back on Calgary, he was good for around 40 points at even strength. Playing with guys like Gaudreau in 1st line minutes. That’s what Charlie Coyle has been giving from the third line for years and years.

The Bruins aren’t going to re-work their PP to take advantage of Monahan. And he is not an upgrade on what they have at 5 on 5.

Stay away.
You are right, not giving up assets for him, his best days are behind him.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure if you are putting this to a vote or not, but if so I would prefer jeans.

I don't want to judge, but I'm not 100% sure I trust you to keep up to speed on the waxing/shaving.

Again, not being judgy. Just honest.
Waxing all the way

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
With the Lindholm trade the market is changing. Teams, not wanting to wait for the deadline are lining up to make their moves now hoping to get a reduced rate. Canucks paid a substantial price for Elias so I believe there must be some agreement on an extension.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If he wants to play in Boston so bad make him wait until this summer and get a home town discount.

But do we really need another big soft Dman? Just stick with the cost controlled Lohrei,maybe he turns into something.
He’s big & soft ? Hmmm…..thank you for this. I had no idea

This Lori guy ? What’s a something? Is he soft I have no idea what I’m watching

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Neither deal is anywhere close to what it would take to get the players you want. And we wouldn't be close to cap compliant anyway.
If rumors are true that Hanifin ONLY wants to play for Boston, I have no idea if they are or not, why would Boston pay any more than that? Crouse may require our 2025 1st as well, tough to say

Close to cap compliant.......I'd re-run the numbers. I'm not saying something small-ish would also have to happen but it's very close.

Thanks for chiming in as usual though.......weird seeing a trade of the magnitude from last night when teams never make deals before two weeks before the deadline!

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
If rumors are true that Hanifin ONLY wants to play for Boston, I have no idea if they are or not, why would Boston pay any more than that? Crouse may require our 2025 1st as well, tough to say

Close to cap compliant.......I'd re-run the numbers. I'm not saying something small-ish would also have to happen but it's very close.

Thanks for chiming in as usual though.......weird seeing a trade of the magnitude from last night when teams never make deals before two weeks before the deadline!
Hanifin has no trade protection, even if he only wants to sign here he doesn't have any way to force his way here at the deadline. Calgary should, and will, flip him to the highest bidder as a rental, and even as a rental Hanifin will get a 1st + a prospect cause he's the best defenseman available at the deadline.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Why do people think just because it's Arizona they are looking to give good players away? Like somehow they are always in a rebuilding mode just itching to move out established players for lottery tickets.

Crouse is 2nd in goals (19), 3rd in pts (29), 2nd in shots and 2nd in hits on the team. 26 years old and signed for 3 more years at a really nice number for what he brings (4.3 AAV). Team is still in the mix for a WC spot. He's a valuable commodity.
Yes....when I logged on today I thought to myself, f*** it, its Arizona, let's grab one of their good players because they play in front of 6000 fans and are constantly rebuilding!

There are limited teams with what the Bruins need upfront,, a Milan Lucic type power forward in his prime. Tom Wilson, his contract is gross. Marcus Foligno, sure would love him but think he makes too much for what he brings offensively. Pat Maroon, good for the 4th line but doesn't address the top 6 like I'd want. Crouse? Checks all the boxes. Would Arizona deal him, most likely not, and Lysell probably doesn't entice them enough. Would Lysell and a 2025 1st do it? Who knows. But to correct you, I didn't handpick Arizona for any reason other than they have the player with the unique skillset I want for this team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes....when I logged on today I thought to myself, f*** it, its Arizona, let's grab one of their good players because they play in front of 6000 fans and are constantly rebuilding!

There are limited teams with what the Bruins need upfront,, a Milan Lucic type power forward in his prime. Tom Wilson, his contract is gross. Marcus Foligno, sure would love him but think he makes too much for what he brings offensively. Pat Maroon, good for the 4th line but doesn't address the top 6 like I'd want. Crouse? Checks all the boxes. Would Arizona deal him, most likely not, and Lysell probably doesn't entice them enough. Would Lysell and a 2025 1st do it? Who knows. But to correct you, I didn't handpick Arizona for any reason other than they have the player with the unique skillset I want for this team.

Not specifically directed at you, but there has been a prevalent notion on HF Boards in general about the Coyotes and their players always being available. Granted sometimes it's accurate. But they seem to be more stable now on-ice and looking to keep getting better.

Crouse does have a unique skillset and he would have to be considered practically untouchable given his age, contract, skillset, uniqueness, current production, etc. A legit power forward with scoring ability in his prime not many like him around anymore.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
He’s big & soft ? Hmmm…..thank you for this. I had no idea

This Lori guy ? What’s a something? Is he soft I have no idea what I’m watching
You are obviously watching something different than me, I prefer a guy that's big to put just a little fear in an opponent while defending his net. He a friendly player that would rather skate up and down the ice than put someone on their back.

Has he ever had a roughing penalty in his career?

As for this Lori guy come see me when he plays more than a dozen NHL games and has improved a shit ton. Until then he's just a prospect that will require lots of patients.

You can thank me later for my educating you on this topic. :)

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If you’re projecting moving Grizz out and getting a third pair guy in, who are you playing with McAvoy? That has to be part of the equation. If it’s Lindholm in your eyes, then you also need to consider who plays with Carlo considering he’s not exactly a transition guy who can move the puck up the ice.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If you’re projecting moving Grizz out and getting a third pair guy in, who are you playing with McAvoy? That has to be part of the equation. If it’s Lindholm in your eyes, then you also need to consider who plays with Carlo considering he’s not exactly a transition guy who can move the puck up the ice.
Smart move is to roll w Gryz and McAvoy in the play-offs 5v5. guy played great on the road in Florida last years play-offs.

Lindholm-Carlo is pretty decent in the play-offs.

I would try to replace the 3rd pair (more so Forbort) but I'm thinking they look to acquire a depth righty. If nothing happens w the defense, I'm actually fine with it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Smart move is to roll w Gryz and McAvoy in the play-offs 5v5. guy played great on the road in Florida last years play-offs.

Lindholm-Carlo is pretty decent in the play-offs.

I would try to replace the 3rd pair (more so Forbort) but I'm thinking they look to acquire a depth righty. If nothing happens w the defense, I'm actually fine with it.
Right. That’s the steady state. Im looking at that 1LD as the most important place for the Bruins to improve. But dealing Grizz and playing any of these guys with THUMP or whatever means Wotherspoon or Lohrei playing 1LD or 2LD, which doesn’t seem ideal. With Wotherspoon and Forbort we have the bottom pair LD and RD depth covered. Upgrading them is a different conversation.

You can’t play Gudas or whoever with McAvoy and feel good about it. Im not even sure Middleton is a guy you want playing 25 minutes a game in the playoffs against top lines, or a guy to pair with Carlo.

Reactions: RoccoF14

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Right. That’s the steady state. Im looking at that 1LD as the most important place for the Bruins to improve. But dealing Grizz and playing any of these guys with THUMP or whatever means Wotherspoon or Lohrei playing 1LD or 2LD, which doesn’t seem ideal. With Wotherspoon and Forbort we have the bottom pair LD and RD depth covered. Upgrading them is a different conversation.

You can’t play Gudas or whoever with McAvoy and feel good about it. Im not even sure Middleton is a guy you want playing 25 minutes a game in the playoffs against top lines, or a guy to pair with Carlo.
It's definitely more a fit thing. Carlo and Forbort need very particular partners. Gryz Carlo doesn't seem to work, but Matt could def play 3rd pair minutes, but not with Shattenkirk IMO, but again you leave a big void on the top pair.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yea fair enough

I do think that if he isn’t signed by the deadline you should find out what his ask would be to re-up in Calgary and if Calgary would be down with it. That makes a Hanifin trade more possible, obviously with Boston adding something else.

But I dunno how you sell DeBrusk at the TDL and no get worse otherwise.

Not specifically directed at you, but there has been a prevalent notion on HF Boards in general about the Coyotes and their players always being available. Granted sometimes it's accurate. But they seem to be more stable now on-ice and looking to keep getting better.

Crouse does have a unique skillset and he would have to be considered practically untouchable given his age, contract, skillset, uniqueness, current production, etc. A legit power forward with scoring ability in his prime not many like him around anymore.

Their fans view him as the next captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad