Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I hope the Jackets stay the course and don’t rush this. There is no need to sign an overpriced free agent. We are still building our core. Sure we have some nice pieces, but if you compare our core to some of the other teams (Detroit/Buffalo/Ottawa/Rangers) we are still a step behind.

I don’t think JFresh’s model where we are the 3rd worst team in hockey is correct, but I do not think this team is close to a playoff caliber team. My guess is that we would finish 22nd-27th in the league.

IMO, Nyquist HAS to be traded at the TDL (even if we overachieve) for assets, and I might do the same with Gavrikov (middle pairing LHD are easy to get via UFA). If you could get a 1st for either one I think you have to do it in a deep draft.

We need more high end pieces.

Honest question, are people wanting us to start competing this season?

I’d say he’s a #3.

Since his draft day I’ve been arguing that Werenski is the superior player, seems like some people are finally starting to see it.

Agreed. I really don't think it's time to add in UFA at any spot. If a good trade is available obviously the team should capitalize - but unless the market literally gifts us good roster players we should stay the course and let the guys we already have determine our fate next season.

I'd like to keep Gavrikov though unless he has some wild contract expectations. I don't think it will be time to trade him until our LD prospects make him obsolete, and I think we're a few years away from that still. Nyquist is another story, hopefully he's made obsolete this upcoming season. I also would rather not bank on a UFA signing to replace him.

Predicting where the team finishes next season is difficult. Internal growth and a few breakout seasons could put us in the playoff hunt, and we also could finish worse than last season as well. The team has good finishers so it is sort of built to steal games. I don't expect the team to make the playoffs but if they do I'd certainly welcome it. I think that would be great for establishing the culture and standard of the team's new era. No need to rush it though if they're not ready.

Reactions: Hello Johnny

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
The Blue Jackets haven’t made official yet their list of qualifying offers, but we can tell you that right winger Emil Bemstrom is getting one. The Jackets and Bemstrom’s agent, Claude Lemieux, are working on a new contract. Qualifying offers are required to protect the club’s rights to their restricted free agents. Those who don’t get “QOs” become unrestricted free agents. We can say with certainty that Laine and defenseman Nick Blankenburg will be qualified, but no word yet on defenseman Gabriel Carlsson, winger Trey Fix-Wolansky or center Kevin Stenlund. The deadline is Monday.

The new league year begins Wednesday, at which time: Oliver Bjorkstrand’s contract includes a 10-team no-trade list, Boone Jenner’s contract includes an eight-team no-trade list, Sean Kuraly’s no-trade clause becomes a 10-team no-trade list, and goaltender Elvis Merzlikins gets a 10-team no-trade clause.

Nothing really earth shattering or new here. But sstill notes

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
To me, this question is complicated.

Do I want the Jackets to just set up shop with whats currently on the roster and just see what happens? No. Like you said, this roster isn't good enough to compete for a playoff spot yet. And that is OK.

However, at the same time I don't want to push our chips in here and try to acquire a top tier player by giving up a Johnson or sillinger or someone like that. I was interested in bringing in Chychrun and McDonagh, because I feel like they would be valuable members to the team this year and future years (especially Chychrun) and we could alleviate our glut of forwards by making those deals. I am open to trading guys like Marchenko, Chinakhov, Bean, Boqvist, etc if it means bringing in top tier talent elsewhere. We do have an abundance of young talent at both forward and defense. If we are able to alleviate that while bolstering our top end talent? I'm on board.

Is that wanting to compete next year? IDK. Its not being satisfied with where we are currently, but also being cautious of how far this team can go.

As of now, I would say we're probably 2nd to last in the metro. Behind NYR, CAR, WSH, PIT, NYI, and NJ. Ahead of Philly. It's going to be tough to pass some of these teams in the short term. However, I don't think we're far off from being a playoff team. And thats weird to say for a team im projecting to be 7th in the division, but I do think we can compete for a playoff spot the season after this one.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Jarmo could find another 1st for next years draft and land 2 forwards it would be pretty major.

3+2+2+ Boqvist would be rebuilding done at an excellent level

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego

Nothing really earth shattering or new here. But sstill notes

I get the impression that Stenlund will be set free and I don’t think there is a market there. If we can get a 6th or 7th for his rights I think we take it. Otherwise it feels like time to move on for everyone.

Carlsson I see getting a QO and can have value fighting for a 7-10 spot in the depth chart this year but expectations have been tempered. He’s made it through waivers once before. I don’t hate having him around has a 2nd or 3rd call up option though.

I don’t think either player is beyond repair but both could use a change of scenery, unfortunately value for both is negligible unless there is a run on bargain contracts.

Reactions: thebus88 and MAHJ71

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I’d say he’s a #3.

Since his draft day I’ve been arguing that Werenski is the superior player, seems like some people are finally starting to see it.

Tbf Provorovs main D-partner last 2 years has been Braun. That's a very tough job for anyone.

I suspect his play would improve if CBJ traded for him.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I'm all for staying the course but would like Jarmo to sign a veteran dman for 1-2 years to mentor the kids both on the ice and on the bench. I would think there would be a lot to learn from a vet before key defensive zone faceoffs or on the bench. Watch this teams tendencies with this guy taking the faceoff, here's what I I've watched that guy do for 10 years in that situation, etc. The coaches can teach schemes and provide films but I think a mentor is huge in teaching the fine details.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Getting Provorov is just like getting Chychrun for us - it’s a luxury addition to a position which is not the weakest

Wait, what?

U understand how many goals the team allowed last year, correct??

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

This is the type of player I’d maybe look at. Depending on how we can trade our glut of forwards and his price of course

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
He can’t skate at all dude, and honestly can’t do anything worth while without all-stars on his wings.

Just isn’t good at hockey, Roslovic is better at C than him. Passsssss
Jenner can’t skate either. According to his stats he’s a decent play driver. I would look into it depending on the things I said earlier

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I said earlier I didn't think Provorov would fit here because we don't have an open PP spot for him. Upon further thought I'd like to make a spot and give him a shot. I think he's better than we've seen in Philly in the last couple years. We would have to move out Boqvist, so I know that wouldn't work for everyone. Just my opinion but Provorov is markedly better than Boqvist in almost every aspect.

My bigger concern would be Provy's attitude and his role in the Philly disaster. That would require some detective work.

All of this is presuming that Philly is dumping him, I don't want to move good assets for him.

This is the type of player I’d maybe look at. Depending on how we can trade our glut of forwards and his price of course

I'd rather have Roslovic, and I don't want Roslovic+Strome up the middle.

Reactions: Ippenator and Viqsi

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020

Would like to have a guy like Tyler Bertuzzi

NHL Trade Bait List​

RankPlayer (Team)POSAGETERM – AAV
1J.T. Miller (VAN)F291 YEAR – $5.25M
2Jakob Chychrun (ARI)D243 YEARS – $4.6M
3Sean Monahan (CGY)C271 YEAR – $6.75M
4Tyler Bertuzzi (DET)F271 YEAR – $4.75M
5Jesse Puljujarvi (EDM)F24RFA – $1.175M
6Ethan Bear (CAR)D24RFA – $2M
7Pierre-Luc Dubois (WPG)C24RFA – $5M
8Tyson Barrie (EDM)D302 YEARS – $4.5M
9Blake Wheeler (WPG)F352 YEARS – $8.25M
10Patric Hornqvist (FLA)F351 YEAR – $5.3M
11Jeff Petry (MTL)D343 YEARS – $6.25M
12Mark Scheifele (WPG)C292 YEARS – $6.125M
13Pavel Zacha (NJD)C25RFA – $2.25M
14Semyon Varlamov (NYI)G341 YEAR – $5M
15Justin Holl (TOR)D301 YEAR – $2M
16Sergei Bobrovsky (FLA)G334 YEARS – $10M
17Josh Anderson (MTL)F285 YEARS – $5.5M
18John Gibson (ANA)G285 YEARS – $6.4M
19Jake DeBrusk (BOS)F252 YEARS – $4M
20Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)F301 YEAR – $7.5M
21Dominik Kubalik (CHI)F26RFA – $3.7M
22Jonathan Drouin (MTL)F251 YEAR – $5.5M
23Nils Lundkvist (NYR)D211 YEAR – $925K
24Conor Garland (VAN)F264 YEARS – $4.95M
25Vitali Kravtsov (NYR)F22RFA – $925K

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
As much as I loved every second of Blankenburg last year, I have too many flashbacks of how Grant Clitsome was supposed to be this amazing eternal badass to be entirely comfortable with going there.

I really hope I'm wrong on that. It would be awesome and it would make me very happy. But paranoia paranoia everybody's coming to get me
Deep cut lol. 9th-rounder!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think I've made my view on this before but to reiterate the answer is yes if it happens with what we currently have. No if it means trading for or signing UFA 30-ish guys who cost a lot of cap. I would have been in favor of a DeBrincat trade or a Chychrun one (although now I would pass on him) because those guys are young enough to grow and develop with the rest of the young guys. The only issue with a DeBrincat deal would have been cap concerns with him, Zach & Laine all big bucks for long term.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I expect the Jackets to compete next season, and every season. Until Jenner left the line-up last season they were arguably competing for a playoff spot, and next season should be better. (I know, a lot of that will hinge on the goaltending.)

I do not expect them to invest significant resources in a push for the playoffs.

Given the nucleus of young players, some investment in veteran mentors ("coach-on-the-ice" guys like Voracek) could be justified. When considering signings or trades this is the most important factor for the front office to consider.

But as far as anything like a trade deadline deal for a short-term upgrade to try to squeak into the playoffs at the cost of a 2023 first-rounder (or somesuch) Frack NO!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don't think we will be competitive (2022-23) but I do hope we take steps to be better (like playing defense and such).

I simply don't think we will have the talent. Missing top line RD and potentially 2nd pairing RD. Missing a top line C.

Patience is tough, but I agree I hope we do this right. We do have a lot of potentially good forwards but the defensemen seem to be 1-2 years away from the NHL and likely 3 years away from having a group that plays as a team.

Reactions: koteka and thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A couple things on this topic, broadly anyway:

Every year we seem to have this sense that everyone in the division is getting better while CBJ is treading water. The same teams we had concerns about last season are the same ones we fear will ‘pass us up’ this season too.
I have said before I don’t really do predictions (and my playoff bracket challenge entry proves why) but I do know that, just because you can point to a couple things on a certain roster doesn’t mean everything will pan out per expectations.

I do agree with those who say our roster has some holes. But there are two things I’m interested in for this season. One is the goaltending. Can Elvis and Joonas shake off last season’s performances? How much if the struggle was the new defense or the style of defense or the roster in the blueline? The second is the bottom 6/role players. Is the combo of young guys who don’t make the top lines (Marchenko? Texier? Bemstrom?) plus your Kuralys and Danforths et al good enough?

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Would like to have a guy like Tyler Bertuzzi

NHL Trade Bait List​

RankPlayer (Team)POSAGETERM – AAV
1J.T. Miller (VAN)F291 YEAR – $5.25M
2Jakob Chychrun (ARI)D243 YEARS – $4.6M
3Sean Monahan (CGY)C271 YEAR – $6.75M
4Tyler Bertuzzi (DET)F271 YEAR – $4.75M
5Jesse Puljujarvi (EDM)F24RFA – $1.175M
6Ethan Bear (CAR)D24RFA – $2M
7Pierre-Luc Dubois (WPG)C24RFA – $5M
8Tyson Barrie (EDM)D302 YEARS – $4.5M
9Blake Wheeler (WPG)F352 YEARS – $8.25M
10Patric Hornqvist (FLA)F351 YEAR – $5.3M
11Jeff Petry (MTL)D343 YEARS – $6.25M
12Mark Scheifele (WPG)C292 YEARS – $6.125M
13Pavel Zacha (NJD)C25RFA – $2.25M
14Semyon Varlamov (NYI)G341 YEAR – $5M
15Justin Holl (TOR)D301 YEAR – $2M
16Sergei Bobrovsky (FLA)G334 YEARS – $10M
17Josh Anderson (MTL)F285 YEARS – $5.5M
18John Gibson (ANA)G285 YEARS – $6.4M
19Jake DeBrusk (BOS)F252 YEARS – $4M
20Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)F301 YEAR – $7.5M
21Dominik Kubalik (CHI)F26RFA – $3.7M
22Jonathan Drouin (MTL)F251 YEAR – $5.5M
23Nils Lundkvist (NYR)D211 YEAR – $925K
24Conor Garland (VAN)F264 YEARS – $4.95M
25Vitali Kravtsov (NYR)F22RFA – $925K

Not many cap victims there.

As for competing, I just want to be entertained when I watch games this year and feel like the team has a chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad