Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
In that list? Strome, Schenn, Backlund, Staal, Carter, Seguin (Hintz is the #1C in Dallas and has been for years; Seguin is a broken mess as is Benn), maybe Danault altho it'd be a very close thing and I'd probably favor Danault, Hartman and Eriksson Ek both, and Glass didn't even make the damn team he's on so of course him.

I think Jenner's getting just a teensy bit underrated, but more importantly I suspect you're working off of impressions of team depth charts and player states that are in some cases multiple years out of date.
You’re wrong on most of those names. And you didn’t even think about the non playoff teams.

Lol. I think you’re working off the impression that Jenner is anywhere near as good as his stats were this year. He shot at 14%, which is the highest ever in his career, and played almost 21 minutes a night. 23% of his points on the PP.

I think he could be an effective top 6 wing with the right linemates. If Johnson ends up a center Jenner might compliment him well. I'd definitely like for him to not be our 1C or 2C at the earliest convenience.
I think Jenner can be / is a 2nd line winger for sure.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You’re wrong on most of those names. And you didn’t even think about the non playoff teams.

Lol. I think you’re working off the impression that Jenner is anywhere near as good as his stats were this year. He shot at 14%, which is the highest ever in his career, and played almost 21 minutes a night.
I'm 100% certain on the majority of them. Strome is a waste of space; he's adjacent-talent-dependent like Jenner only without any redeeming qualities when lacking such linemates. Glass is completely undebatable and that was an egregious reach on your part. Backlund, Carter, and Staal are all very down and trending down further at their ages; Seguin is as well but he started falling from higher up so he has a ways to go yet. Hartman is even more of a "lol out of nowhere" type than you're suggesting Jenner is. I'll concede that Danault was a similarly bad reach on my part and I shouldn't have gone there, and Eriksson Ek probably has a good future ahead of him (tho he's not there yet). But the rest are IMO set.

And Jenner's stats frequently aren't that good because he's frequently playing the "cleanup" roles lower in the lineup away from talented guys like Voracek and Laine. That he can do well in those spots doesn't mean that's his ideal position.

I certainly wouldn't object to finding an upgrade at #2C over him - while I maintain he is good at the position, I also readily concede that he's kind of low-end compared to the rest of the League. But referring to it as an "ideal" IMO is unfair to him given what he's done.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Danault is hands down a better center than Jenner. He's seriously so good.
I can accept that. I badly wanted him here, after all.
Jenner doesn't suck but if he's one of our top 2 centers I don't see us being that good. Not a knock on him because I have a lot of respect for what he brings.
I think it's very possible for us to have an excellent team with him as the #2C. Not a team that outscores its troubles, but nonetheless a good one. Cups have been won with less.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I'm 100% certain on the majority of them. Strome is a waste of space; he's adjacent-talent-dependent like Jenner only without any redeeming qualities when lacking such linemates. Glass is completely undebatable and that was an egregious reach on your part. Backlund, Carter, and Staal are all very down and trending down further at their ages; Seguin is as well but he started falling from higher up so he has a ways to go yet. Hartman is even more of a "lol out of nowhere" type than you're suggesting Jenner is. I'll concede that Danault was a similarly bad reach on my part and I shouldn't have gone there, and Eriksson Ek probably has a good future ahead of him (tho he's not there yet). But the rest are IMO set.

And Jenner's stats frequently aren't that good because he's frequently playing the "cleanup" roles lower in the lineup away from talented guys like Voracek and Laine. That he can do well in those spots doesn't mean that's his ideal position.

I certainly wouldn't object to finding an upgrade at #2C over him - while I maintain he is good at the position, I also readily concede that he's kind of low-end compared to the rest of the League. But referring to it as an "ideal" IMO is unfair to him given what he's done.
Jenner’s most common linemates were Laine Nyquist and Voracek.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jenner’s most common linemates were Laine Nyquist and Voracek.
Yes, of course they were. He produced very well given high quality linemates. That is a skill, and not everybody can do it. That says to me that he can do an acceptable job at #2C. I don't believe I ever claimed otherwise. (As to the possible followup of "those were our top line wingers" - dude, have you seen our wing depth? ;) )

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Yes, of course they were. He produced very well given high quality linemates. That is a skill, and not everybody can do it. That says to me that he can do an acceptable job at #2C. I don't believe I ever claimed otherwise. (As to the possible followup of "those were our top line wingers" - dude, have you seen our wing depth? ;) )
Strome could do the exact same thing and he sucks.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Yes, but Strome sucks because that's literally the only skill he has. Jenner can do a hell of a lot more.
So if Strome could come in and produce the same as Jenner, and Strome sucks and should not be a top6 C, why exactly should Jenner he regarded as a special top6 C on a good team?

With Laine and Voracek he was a 41% xGF. Jenner best xGF with any combo was 48%. Strome with Hagel and Kane was 43% xGF and their team was worse. Strome with Cat and Kane was 53%.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So if Strome could come in and produce the same as Jenner, and Strome sucks and should not be a top6 C, why exactly should Jenner he regarded as a special top6 C on a good team?
Because a top6 C on a good team should also be able to provide things other than point production. Say, opposition point prevention. Mentoring and leadership for the kids, because there will always be developing kids on every team. Competence in the faceoff circle. And so on.

Strome doesn't suck in the "should not be a top 6 C" sense, he sucks in the "waste of a roster spot" sense because all he can do is play with better linemates, and a good team needs more than that, and he's not useful elsewhere if someone better comes along.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Because a top6 C on a good team should also be able to provide things other than point production. Say, opposition point prevention. Mentoring and leadership for the kids, because there will always be developing kids on every team. Competence in the faceoff circle. And so on.
Is he actually doing that? See post above.
Texier with Laine and Voracek 62% xGF was better scoring chance wise than Jenner.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Regardless of who plays there, we need a true 1C because we have a bunch of tweeners.

Tex, Sillinger, Johnson, Del Bel Belluz need to develop or maybe draft one next year.

For the record, I would play Tex or Sillinger there.
Yep. The only options are in the system now, or ideally we get the number 1 or 2 pick next year to seal off a rebuild.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Im reading the Jenner exchange and thinking how I disagree with Cow because he’s selling a Jenner short but here you are at the (thus far) conclusion of the discussion and I’m like yeah that’s right.
Frankly, I also agree. I think we're just differing on how to address the issue of Jenner there. I think it's an acceptable result but one that ought to be improved on, and I get the impression he considers it unacceptable regardless.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Frankly, I also agree. I think we're just differing on how to address the issue of Jenner there. I think it's an acceptable result but one that ought to be improved on, and I get the impression he considers it unacceptable regardless.
The "play Silly or Tex at 1C" thing got me running some quick lines and damn it's a mess - in a good way, inasmuchas there are more than 12 guys who are probs NHL-ready even if some have to play highr up/more minutes than we'd prefer.

We all know there's a crunch there but it's really wow.

Here's what I did off the cuff, not going back and editing it, just adding names to lines one spot at a time. Don't @ me, this is just an exercise in depth, not in combos.

Laine-Sillinger-Voracek
KJ-Jenner-Tex
GUs-Ros-Bjork
Robo-Kuraly-Chinny

That leaves Danforth, Bemstrom and Marchenko off, not to mention Meyer and Gaunce, who I don't see as regulars unless they develop some more and we drop some guys.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Im reading the Jenner exchange and thinking how I disagree with Cow because he’s selling a Jenner short but here you are at the (thus far) conclusion of the discussion and I’m like yeah that’s right.
At this point, those are the only two guys in the system that have the potential to be 1/2C level and can probably handle it at this point in time. Neither are close rn.

If Jenner is your 1/2C then it’s an issue that needs to be addressed. If Sillinger and Texier are 1/2C it’s still an issue but there could be growth.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Regardless of who plays there, we need a true 1C because we have a bunch of tweeners.

Tex, Sillinger, Johnson, Del Bel Belluz need to develop or maybe draft one next year.

For the record, I would play Tex or Sillinger there.
Texier played with them a little, except he wasn't able to join Laine and Voracek, Jenner was.. Oh, and we have to consider that the best line was Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine, which played great even against strong opponents.

Reactions: Ippenator

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Bemstrom gets a QO. I guess it won't hurt, but I question why the club is wasting time on him. Taking up space and money. My hope for some excitement out of this offseason is waning by the day. Still time to go, so I'll reserve judgement.

Last line is important

There's a fine line between trying and being aggressive. I'm curious as to what is holding them back? Money, Analytics people, JD, Priest?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Bemstrom gets a QO. I guess it won't hurt, but I question why the club is wasting time on him. Taking up space and money. My hope for some excitement out of this offseason is waning by the day. Still time to go, so I'll reserve judgement.

There's a fine line between trying and being aggressive. I'm curious as to what is holding them back? Money, Analytics people, JD, Priest?
Jesus. The offseason just started. How can you already be losing faith lol. They’ve been in on names that have gathered a lot of interest. Would you prefer we push our chips in and trade Chinakhov + for Romanov? Or two firsts + for Chychrun?

Jarmo will make moves. It’s not even free agency yet.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

Sometimes it takes time for guys to develop.
Why would you not qualify an asset you drafted and have contractual control over, who has also shown flashes of being something more than average?

Mark Stone was a late pick and didn’t break out until age 23. Mark Stone Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I wouldn't be shocked if he was trade bait. Even for like a 6th round pick. All the QO the gave out were to guys with value.

Last line is important

There is one thing I can say for sure about Jamro, he isn't aggressive for the sake of being aggressive. He will hold out for the right deal. Even at the 2019 deadline, the deals he made weren't vast overpayments (especially in hindsight.) If he can make a splash w/o hurting the future of the team, he will. The best example of this is the price for Dach. Chicago took advantage of Montreal and got them to overpay for Dach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad