Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
On a good team he’s not a top6 C.

Just because he is HERE does not mean he would be around the league. Our bar is pretty low.

He’s been a “top 6” C on very good teams in Columbus.

Is Roslovic a better player or more valuable than Jenner because he’s better offensively?? What actually makes a guy a 2nd line or 3rd line center?? It isn’t overall offensive ability.

Quite frankly, Jenner still gets ridiculously underrated for some of his offensive ability. While he is a very “choppy” player, his passing and shooting is actually quite accurate and effective.

After watching Panarin, it’s also fascinating how little credit Jenner gets for all the puck battles he wins and how VALUABLE that is to a team.

(some of) You guys want to build a team that can stick handle pretty and shoot really good, but, don’t want guys who will actually GO GET THE PUCK!!

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Jenner’s most common linemates were Laine Nyquist and Voracek.

If people are so worried about Jenner, maybe we should really look at how good our perceived top 3 wingers are in relation to other teams throughout the league.

The problem is not having a number 1 center, not having Jenner as 1 of your top 2 centers.

I’d rather have Bjorkstrand and Texier playing more minutes and considered our top wingers over Nyquist, Voracek AND Superstar Laine.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Is Roslovic a better player or more valuable than Jenner because he’s better offensively?? What actually makes a guy a 2nd line or 3rd line center?? It isn’t overall offensive ability.

Quite frankly, Jenner still gets ridiculously underrated for some of his offensive ability. While he is a very “choppy” player, his passing and shooting is actually quite accurate and effective.

After watching Panarin, it’s also fascinating how little credit Jenner gets for all the puck battles he wins and how VALUABLE that is to a team.

(some of) You guys want to build a team that can stick handle pretty and shoot really good, but, don’t want guys who will actually GO GET THE PUCK!!
Which teams were those? I remember Dubois+Duchene, Dubois+Wennberg or Wennberg+Dubinsky.

No, Roslovic isn’t a top6 C either. That’s the issue.

Jenner is valuable, but should be a guy on the second line wing, or third line center if you are a good team.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I get it. It'd be fun. Could push the team into playoffs.

...But wouldnt say it's tempting. The team needs a 1C that's not 36. Getting Malkin hurts the chances of drafting one next year
I get what you're saying, but I would wager Jarmo isn't making moves based on what it's going to do to our draft stock next year.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

I do not agree with only super skill. The grit I was wanting came in the form of Marco Kasper and Stevie Y thought that as well and drafted him #8. I think he will be a better Jenner version that can skate really well and is a true center. This isn’t a slight on Jenner - I think he is committed and more heart than can be measured, but he is not a 1C. Yes he does win a lot of puck battles and goes to the hard areas.

I agree we need some more boom 💥 that gets into corners and wins puck battles with a good amount of skill. I see some of that in Texier and my reservation on any trade that involves him.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Which teams were those? I remember Dubois+Duchene, Dubois+Wennberg or Wennberg+Dubinsky.

Jenner is valuable, but should be a guy on the second line wing, or third line center if you are a good team.
That depends on what Roslovic we get next season. Roslovic that started the first 3/4 of the season... not a chance.

If it all actually clicked for him at the end of the season and he's able to find that zone again next season... He could fill that role. But I wouldn't hold my breath. But if we go make a big move and push him out of that spot, we'll never know. As it would likely crush any confidence he may have from the end of the season by basically saying, we don't have confidence in you, here's you're replacement.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Personally, I don't think he's an asset. I think he's soft, something we're trying to get away from. He's qualified, that's fine, I just don't see him on the ice much. There are much better prospects that have passed him up in my opinion. One hat trick does not a career make. Just ask Nikita Filatov.

What are your opinions on the tenacity, intensity, and toughness (or “softness”) of Roslovic, Boqvist, and Laine??

What impact do your opinions on these player’s qualities have on your opinions for there future as CBJ players??

Thank you in advance.

What role do you see for him?
Bjorkstrands, after Bjorkstrand is given back his “role” from Laine.

What role do you see for Chinakhov or Marchenko??

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I get what you're saying, but I would wager Jarmo isn't making moves based on what it's going to do to our draft stock next year.
I disagree .. may not be Jarmo, but Jd reminding him to stick to the plan . They are building out there core , why make a move that isn’t consistent with the long term plan which is building thru the draft . The goal is to win the cup , what good would signing Malkin do ? Your still not making the playoffs in the brutal Metro, maybe end up drafting closer to 10 next yr rather than top 5. There are multiple really good centers in the next draft

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Nope it was the leadership group.
Wheeler is on the trade block this summer for a good reason.

Scheifele sounded like he was gone post season presser but now the feeling seems to have changed.

There’s just way too many red flags on Scheifele to try to trade for him

Well if Laine is seemingly consistent at 1 thing…

Talk about “red flags”.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jenner and Roslovic have their respective shortcomings. I’m not going to get into what their roles would be on a ‘good’ team or whatever. I’m going to say that I’m comfortable with them slotting at 2-3 centers, minutes-wise and situationally.

Of course that gets at the heart of the matter, which is that there’s no clear cut 1C. Sillinger at his age and Texier with his incomplete report card thus far essentially fall into the same category - guys who you might be ok with centering line 2-3 but not necessarily 1.

One of them - or, more likely, some combination of them - is going to center the Jackets’s top line this year. So at this point it’s all about the combos.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Roslovic could absolutely be a #2 center , as can Sillinger

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

We’ve debated on these same things plenty in the past.

Wennberg was overrated by many for a good period of time, reality is that he WAS NEVER better than Jenner. Neither was Dubois’ overall impact for much of his time with the CBJ. Jenner was playing just as many or more minutes than those guys and was used in almost ALL “tough” situations when possible.

Duchene was here for a very short period. There was a time around the Panarin years that Dubois could be considered #1, yet Jenner was still #2, for almost all of that time.

Think Dubinsky is a bad example as they are similar players and not many liked him playing very high in the lineup either after his 1st couple years. That said, what I would do for Dubinsky-Anisimov-Jenner down the middle current day.

Again, I think this highlights what the problem always has been and still is. The lack of a TRUE “top line” center, and not which “middle 6” role Jenner is playing in.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This isn’t a slight on Jenner - I think he is committed and more heart than can be measured, but he is not a 1C. Yes he does win a lot of puck battles and goes to the hard areas.

While other than maybe a couple years ago I think he was capable and could be considered as a “1C”, I don’t think I’ve ever said or considered him a GOOD “1C”.

That said, he’s almost always been the best option for the CBJ as the “1st line center” or to be the center to play the most minutes.

Dubinsky/Anisimov was well in the past. Duchene for a very short period. Dubois/Johansen/Jenner seemed to always be quite even in ice time if I remember correctly.

THAT IS A PROBLEM. But, we should be holding this against all THE OTHER GUYS that haven’t passed him up, ( and Jarmo) NOT Boone.

Reactions: Youngguns1380

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
To be fair, Fedorov did come did come during the Dougie Mac Era.
This is true. But he was still an aging veteran past his prime like Malkin. Maybe the biggest difference between now and then is I'm pretty sure we won't put Malkin on the blue line.

I could see it being a similar buzz by acquiring a player of that stature however. He's probably a future hall of famer who could hit 500 goals in 2-3 years if he can stay healthy. He just hasn't been able to do that for 3 years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wonder if this is the type of situation (cap) where a team might accept a 3 dimes for 1 quarter type of trade.

I'm already hoping the Jackets move away from the rush happy style, or at least go for some balance with the four lines, so I've been hoping we have less players that can't defend / cycle / forecheck.

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad