Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hmm. I thought he was a good forechecker and played PK. Idk what stats there are on that though.

You'd be better off asking Canes fans, this is just what I gathered from some of them a while ago and matched it up with a few viewings.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
From everything I know Necas can't defend, can't cycle, can't forecheck. Good rush player but we shouldn't want more of that.
Im pretty much onboard with you on this one. If his zone entries and control were good it would make more sense but I dont think hes that guy

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Who is better, Marchenko or Chinakhov? Remember, Chinakhov played excellent in camp for rookies but he wasn't ideal in the season. Of course not because he's a bad player but because must be stronger, "get muscle". Next, what with Bemstrom? Because "he was one of the best defensive and possession driven forwards."

Where Texier? Some of us move them to Laine and Voracek? But he he wasn't able to connect them when he played between them. Also I think he's better winger than a center.
Where Johnson? Can he already play center or still a winger? What with Roslovic? He played excellent in the of the season but... when we already lost a chance to play in PO. What with so many wingers? If trade for a center, who enter would play less? Sillinger? He showed he can be very good center also he improved. Jenner? His join with Laine was ideal and I think one is enough underrated. Roslovic? In this case Jack would have to move to the fourth line or to the wing. Whom wingers to trade? Etc, etc.

P.S. @thebus88 , I know we must trade Laine because he would be dependent even on Josh Dunne and doesn't so good play without the puck as Kucherov, Keane and similar players. He scored only not so importants goals, for example winnings when we had a chance to play in PO etc. 😎

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Who is better, Marchenko or Chinakhov? Remember, Chinakhov played excellent in camp for rookies but he wasn't ideal in the season. Of course not because he's a bad player but because must be stronger, "get muscle". Next, what with Bemstrom? Because "he was one of the best defensive and possession driven forwards."

Where Texier? Some of us move them to Laine and Voracek? But he he wasn't able to connect them when he played between them. Also I think he's better winger than a center.
Where Johnson? Can he already play center or still a winger? What with Roslovic? He played excellent in the of the season but... when we already lost a chance to play in PO. What with so many wingers? If trade for a center, who enter would play less? Sillinger? He showed he can be very good center also he improved. Jenner? His join with Laine was ideal and I think one is enough underrated. Roslovic? In this case Jack would have to move to the fourth line or to the wing. Whom wingers to trade? Etc, etc.

The 2nd line was useless most of the season. Sillinger had a good start but he couldn't really keep up, then they had to move Voracek to 2nd line. I think the 1st was fine with Nyquist as well, but I remember thinking it was clearly better with Voracek. Texier was good with Kuraly, but maybe he could play on the other wing with Bjorkstrand. I wonder if Texier-Roslo-Bjorkstrand could be a good 2nd line?

I feel Bjorkstrand was wasted on the 2nd line last season. I liked the Jenner-Laine pairing and generally they did a good job, but in some situations it might be a good idea to mix it up and let Bjorkie take the toughest matchups with Jenner (& Texier?) and try to get easy matchups for something like Laine-Roslo-Voracek. All 3 seem like players who could probably utilize the opportunity, which really didn't seem the case with 2nd line last season but that line never really clicked.

I never liked Roslovic on the wing much, I really think he comes to life offensively at C, but the other side of the game is still very much a work in progress. I would like to see him remain at C and keep getting PK minutes and see if he can become good enough to play 2C. He certainly has the skills and combining the right highlight reel from his two seasons as a Jacket, you could be fooled into thinking you're watching a star in the league.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The 2nd line was useless most of the season. Sillinger had a good start but he couldn't really keep up, then they had to move Voracek to 2nd line. I think the 1st was fine with Nyquist as well, but I remember thinking it was clearly better with Voracek. Texier was good with Kuraly, but maybe he could play on the other wing with Bjorkstrand. I wonder if Texier-Roslo-Bjorkstrand could be a good 2nd line?

I feel Bjorkstrand was wasted on the 2nd line last season. I liked the Jenner-Laine pairing and generally they did a good job, but in some situations it might be a good idea to mix it up and let Bjorkie take the toughest matchups with Jenner (& Texier?) and try to get easy matchups for something like Laine-Roslo-Voracek. All 3 seem like players who could probably utilize the opportunity, which really didn't seem the case with 2nd line last season but that line never really clicked.

I never liked Roslovic on the wing much, I really think he comes to life offensively at C, but the other side of the game is still very much a work in progress. I would like to see him remain at C and keep getting PK minutes and see if he can become good enough to play 2C. He certainly has the skills and combining the right highlight reel from his two seasons as a Jacket, you could be fooled into thinking you're watching a star in the league.
Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine line played very good in the tough games against the best lines too. I don't see any reason to move Bjorkie there. But maybe we could Bemstrom, Texier or Foudy (in preseason first, of course) instead of Gus. I prefer either Bemmer or Liam (if he would good in preseason).

Now. I'm sure Sillinger, Chinakhov and Johnson will play. Next Marchenko. If he would be good in preseason they could move him to the roster. So if Laine will resign, our wingers:

Right: Bemstrom, Bjorkstrand, Chinakhov, Danforth, Laine, Voracek
Left: Foudy, Johnson (probably he would still play winger), Marchenko, Nyquist, Robinson, Texier (he's better there)
+ Angle, Fix-Wolanski, Meyers
Of course some players can play on both sides.

What now? Whom trade?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Add Stenlund to the “2nd round pick graveyard” for the CBJ. We just can’t seem to hit in that round, except of course for Jenner.
Keep in mind a 2nd round pick is one many consider a good pick to just play NHL games. That in mind I would add Texier and Peeke to that list.

Admittedly....I thought the same as you. :D

I wouldn't say no Strome. Maybe a 2 year 3 million per contract. Give him a low risk prove it deal.
He's simply not an upgrade so why add him?

Reactions: Viqsi and Cowumbus

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Every year we seem to have this sense that everyone in the division is getting better while CBJ is treading water. The same teams we had concerns about last season are the same ones we fear will ‘pass us up’ this season too.
I have said before I don’t really do predictions (and my playoff bracket challenge entry proves why) but I do know that, just because you can point to a couple things on a certain roster doesn’t mean everything will pan out per expectations.
I almost see the opposite at times:
Every year us CBJ fans count on too many young players progressing to make us competitive and too many times they don't.
I still argue you build the right team that can be competive and then add the missing peices (trade deadline notably).
I just think in our case it will take a full season to get the guys to play defense again (last year was a major step back in that department - I have no idea why not only the coaches but also management let that happen), then we have a lot of hopes on guys developing/rebounding (goalies as DSL mentioned, alot of the dmen, hoping Sillinger keeps progressing, then all the yougn forwards).
THrow in the fact a team like Philly added a coach who will likely get more out of them and I think it will be a rough season.

Reactions: thebus88 and EspenK

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
2nd round picks should “hit” (200 NHL GP) about 30 percent of the time.

Since Jarmo has been here he has made 8 second round selections:

Del Bel Belluz (N/A)
Marchenko
Texier
Peeke
Bittner (Miss)
Stenlund (Miss)
Collins (Miss)
Heatherington (Miss)

I’m not a “Jarmo is a draft God” guy but he hasn’t been bad (In the second round).

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Same, but I don't want that to happen too soon. If they win 1OA pick in 2023 I might just quit watching hockey...

for a while.

Oh, they still have Crysob on their team. The NHL wants him in the playoffs so they will make it, but it will prob be another 1st round exit. There is already 7 teams the should easily finish above in the east.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh, they still have Crysob on their team. The NHL wants him in the playoffs so they will make it, but it will prob be another 1st round exit. There is already 7 teams the should easily finish above in the east.
...so how are you making it through the aluminum foil shortage?

• Haha
Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
LaineSillingerJake
NyquistJohnsonBjorkstrand
JennerRoslovicTex

Assuming some tweaks and whatever where does Marchenko fit? 4th line? 13th guy in case of an in game injury or some playing time on b to b's? Does he (can he) surplant one of the 9? Cleveland? (I sincerely doubt that)

One of Chinakhov or Bemstrom to Cleveland? Both? Trade one? Trade both?

Going to be an interesting off season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There is no tin foil needed to think the Pens will finish above at least 7 teams in the east.
So you’re saying that the Penguins making the playoffs is because they are better than at least seven other teams in the conference and not because “the NHL wants [Sidney Crosby] in the playoffs”?

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Ok because your earlier post said “The NHL wants him in the playoffs so they will make it…” so you can see how there was some aluminum foil confusion.
Maybe if I was saying they were 13th or 14th in the conference. But when they are basically already 1 spot out of the playoffs at worst, I can see the refs forgetting or over using their whistles in a couple of key moments during the season to benefit the Pens and get one of their most marketable stars in the playoffs. This isn't a unique thing to the NHL. It happens in every big league around the world.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe if I was saying they were 13th or 14th in the conference. But when they are basically already 1 spot out of the playoffs at worst, I can see the refs forgetting or over using their whistles in a couple of key moments during the season to benefit the Pens and get one of their most marketable stars in the playoffs. This isn't a unique thing to the NHL. It happens in every big league around the world.
LOL

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
LaineSillingerJake
NyquistJohnsonBjorkstrand
JennerRoslovicTex

Assuming some tweaks and whatever where does Marchenko fit? 4th line? 13th guy in case of an in game injury or some playing time on b to b's? Does he (can he) surplant one of the 9? Cleveland? (I sincerely doubt that)

One of Chinakhov or Bemstrom to Cleveland? Both? Trade one? Trade both?

Going to be an interesting off season.

4th line I assume Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth?

No trades would mean:
-Chinakhov, Meyer, Marchenko to Cleveland, waivers exempt
-Foudy, Bemstrom, Gaunce to Cleveland on waivers
-Olivier as the 13th F, or sub one of the above 6 in and place Olivier on waivers

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
4th line I assume Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth?

No trades would mean:
-Chinakhov, Meyer, Marchenko to Cleveland, waivers exempt
-Foudy, Bemstrom, Gaunce to Cleveland on waivers
-Olivier as the 13th F, or sub one of the above 6 in and place Olivier on waivers
Yes to the 4th line assumption.

I think (hope) they would trade Bemstrom for a 2023 pick -2nd?rather than risk losing him through waivers. Probably same thought process on Foudy. If the 23 draft is as deep as projected could be a nice return.

They also could carry 14 F's but if they aren't going to play why bother?

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad