Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Sometimes it takes time for guys to develop.
Why would you not qualify an asset you drafted and have contractual control over, who has also shown flashes of being something more than average?

Mark Stone was a late pick and didn’t break out until age 23. Mark Stone Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Personally, I don't think he's an asset. I think he's soft, something we're trying to get away from. He's qualified, that's fine, I just don't see him on the ice much. There are much better prospects that have passed him up in my opinion. One hat trick does not a career make. Just ask Nikita Filatov.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Personally, I don't think he's an asset. I think he's soft, something we're trying to get away from. He's qualified, that's fine, I just don't see him on the ice much. There are much better prospects that have passed him up in my opinion. One hat trick does not a career make. Just ask Nikita Filatov.
You don’t see him on the ice and that’s exactly the problem.

More hits than Laine or Texier, despite playing 100 less minutes than Tex and 500 less than Laine.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
What role do you see for him?
I would like to see him in a middle 6 role with consistent ice time. Then evaluate from there.

But IMO it’s not fair to play him bottom 6 off an on and then ask why he’s not producing like a top6 guy.

If there is no room here, play him in the AHL. But to me the signings of Guance/Danforth were stupid and made the situation at Forward even worse.

It is another reason why I would be retaining and trading Nyquist this off-season for pick(s).

Laine Sillinger Voracek
Bjorkstrand Roslovic Marchenko
Johnson Jenner Bemstrom
Chinakhov Kuraly Texier

Rip the band-aid off and see what we have with the young guys, and go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

InfiniteElement

Jan 4, 2019
I would like to see him in a middle 6 role with consistent ice time. Then evaluate from there.

But IMO it’s not fair to play him bottom 6 off an on and then ask why he’s not producing like a top6 guy.

If there is no room here, play him in the AHL. But to me the signings of Guance/Danforth were stupid and made the situation at Forward even worse.

It is another reason why I would be retaining and trading Nyquist this off-season for pick(s).

Laine Sillinger Voracek
Texier Roslovic Marchenko
Johnson Jenner Bemstrom
Robinson Kuraly Chinakhov

Rip the band-aid off and see what we have with the young guys, and go from there.

I like where you're going there, but where did Bjorkstrand go in your scenario?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I don’t see many major moves happening this summer, other than adding a UFA on D or swinging a trade for a guy like Tyler Myers. We’re going to get the proverbial “the prices were just too high” from Jarmo by the time camp opens, I think the lineup is relatively set (I do hope I’m wrong).

Barring anything crazy, here’s my lineup card going into the season:

Laine-Texier-Voracek
Johnson-Sillinger-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Jenner-Roslovic
Robinson-Kuraly-Marchenko

Werenski-Boqvist
Gavrikov-Peeke
Bean-Blankenburg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If this is growth year Jarmo could add 1-2 vets at ”high” price for 1 year to give himself more trade deadline assets.

Having another 2 1st rounders+ maybe another second would be big.
& just go forwards at next draft full force

Surprised Mark Scheifele is only getting paid $6.1 currently. Would be pretty sweet to have Laine -- Scheifele -- Voracek as the top line.

You don’t want Laine and Scheifele in the same locker room.

A) Scheifele has been incredible lazy playing defense
B) Absolutely hate his last playoffs hit and the crying afterwards about it
C) Locker room issue rumours, sounds like he and Wheeler run the locker room and created a toxic room.
People in Winnipeg liked to put in on Laine couple of years ago but it has only gone worse and Laine is enjoying life in Columbus

Edit
D) There were rumours Scheifele didn’t want to play on the same line with Laine
E) bonus round, in 2 years at 31y he’s looking at superstar contract and with his declining 2way play no big time

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I always thought it was Kyle Connor who was the one Laine didn't get along with in Winny

Nope it was the leadership group.
Wheeler is on the trade block this summer for a good reason.

Scheifele sounded like he was gone post season presser but now the feeling seems to have changed.

There’s just way too many red flags on Scheifele to try to trade for him

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think we're trying to get away from being smaller, you need different guys at different sizes at different points in their development, you never know how the team could look in the future and you need a variety of depth, size and skill in development.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Laine Sillinger Voracek
Bjorkstrand Roslovic Marchenko
Johnson Jenner Bemstrom
Chinakhov Kuraly Texier

I'm less happy with the idea of dropping Nyquist in the offseason and would rather send Chinakhov to Cleveland, since he's waiver-eligible. But yeah, Bemstrom needs more consistent time IMO as well.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In some ways saying you are trying to aggressive is like me saying I’m trying to lose weight.

“Do or do not. There is no try.” -Yoda
umm not really comparable at all. Everytime a team is interested in a player on another team there is potentially up to 30 others teams interested in that same player. Chicago was clearly interested in 12 and Jarmo was probably trying to find a way to not include that pick and I think he made the smart choice. He could have outbid Montreal to show that hes trying but thats not a smart way to conduct buisness. Not every GM is Stan Bowman and constantly trying to outbid themselves

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Random thought but I really want Boqvist to take Werenski's spot on the top PP next year. I hope he's ready for that by the season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
umm not really comparable at all. Everytime a team is interested in a player on another team there is potentially up to 30 others teams interested in that same player. Chicago was clearly interested in 12 and Jarmo was probably trying to find a way to not include that pick and I think he made the smart choice. He could have outbid Montreal to show that hes trying but thats not a smart way to conduct buisness. Not every GM is Stan Bowman and constantly trying to outbid themselves
First off, aggressive and smart are not necessarily the same things. 2nd, you either are aggressive or you aren’t. There isn’t really trying. GMs always talk. I’m just not sure you can call anything being aggressive without results. I consider being aggressive to include some sort of action. Good or bad.

Chicago is aggressively becoming a train wreck. Ottawa was being aggressive and took real action to make their team better by acquiring DeBrincat. We’ll find out in time if those actions were smart or not.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Drouin is another name I would maybe take a run at depending on the price.
Hard pass

Personally I would like the Jackets to trade away a couple surplus wingers (Bemstrom, possibly Nyquist, I would certainly keep Robinson), sign a free agent or trade for a top 4 RHD.

Obviously at this point of the rebuild, I don’t expect a massive trade or a free agent signing, but we know Jarmo could master up a sneaky epic trade out of nowhere

Reactions: Ippenator and LJ7

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It’s probably just me but I do find malkin very tempting in UFA. He wouldn’t come here, but I’d ask.
I get it. It'd be fun. Could push the team into playoffs.

...But wouldnt say it's tempting. The team needs a 1C that's not 36. Getting Malkin hurts the chances of drafting one next year

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It’s probably just me but I do find malkin very tempting in UFA. He wouldn’t come here, but I’d ask.
Signing a player of this magnitude would be the first ever in Columbus history and really make a splash in the Ohio hockey community, bring national attention, etc. I think it will be even more so a PR move than improving the roster move

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Signing a player of this magnitude would be the first ever in Columbus history and really make a splash in the Ohio hockey community, bring national attention, etc. I think it will be even more so a PR move than improving the roster move
We traded for Fedorov once. That didn’t do much.

If anything I’d just want Malkin here to piss off the Penguins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad