Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
CBJ over performed these by quite a lot last season, but I'll post it anyways. Lands cbj to 3rd/4th in draft lottery.

This exchange made me laugh:

1657387102204.png

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This list doesn’t include Jenner, Texier, or Werenski’s impact (injured)
Injuries happen.. also doesn’t account for Nyquist being Moved at , or before the deadline . And the Metropolitan becoming tougher , which it has . The Islanders played way below their talent level . The devils should be much more competitive. I can see why we are slated where we are . Teams performance will hinder on keeping puck out of the net . What’s changed in that regard ? Larsen can talk about tweaking the system , but he’s not going to change it drastically from this yr .. if so , offense will then suffer . Last yr was about playing actual todays NHL, sure they can preach being more sound in their structure , but net improvement as far as wins in losses will come as Boquist, Peeke , Blankenburg, Bean , take next step in their development , and guys like Culemeans, Jiricek, Mateychuk join the lineup.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I really don't think Jarmo is going to make any big moves, I do expect some smaller pieces to be moved. We are overstocked on wingers and could easily lose a couple of tbe boarderline NHL/AHL playera via waivers. Would make sense to deal a couple and get a pick or two next year

Reactions: Dumais

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Theres a buy low option but im guessing priority is get him out west incase he figures it out. Well unless Torts pushes for a former player or 2 and Jarmo agress its worth it

There are a lot of buy low options around the league. Puljujarvi is another in that category. But you need a lot of ice time to give a player a chance to turn it around. We can't even guarantee Provorov a PP job so he wouldn't fit here.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Unless Provorov can play Right side, it’s not worth it. He’s not taking Z’s spot and makes too much to play on the second pairing. And like MM said, he likely would get 2nd PP time at best.

Reactions: Viqsi and cslebn

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Unless Provorov can play Right side, it’s not worth it. He’s not taking Z’s spot and makes too much to play on the second pairing. And like MM said, he likely would get 2nd PP time at best.
Im not really pushing for him but didnt you want McDonagh who has basically the same deal and would be on the 2nd pair behind Werenski?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Im not really pushing for him but didnt you want McDonagh who has basically the same deal and would be on the 2nd pair behind Werenski?
McDonagh would have been an excellent mentor for our young team, wouldn’t have played PP, and would have been a top PK guy. I would have made an exception for him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Provorov played in the pair with Gavrikov as RD in WC. I think it was in 2021 years.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I generally assume the top Dmen can play both sides. Chychrun is leftie too.

Quite honestly haven't watched enough Flyers and Coyotes to compare the two in playstyle or recent level of play, but the player profiles look very similar in terms of age, size, handedness, contract length. The big difference is AAV, but that's also why acquiring Provorov would cost a fraction of what Chychrun would.

Reactions: thebus88

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Honestly, I am fine with Peeke, Boqvist, and Blankenberg on the right side this season. But we need to replace Bean/Bayreuther on the left side of the 3rd pairing with a guy who is defensively responsible enough to cover for whoever is with them (probably Blankenberg).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, I am fine with Peeke, Boqvist, and Blankenberg on the right side this season. But we need to replace Bean/Bayreuther on the left side of the 3rd pairing with a guy who is defensively responsible enough to cover for whoever is with them (probably Blankenberg).

(probably Boqvist)

I don't really know if Blankenburg will be much of an impact player, but I do know that he knows how to play his position. As Lars said, you could have created a how-to manual just from Blankenburg's video from this Spring. Boqvist should be taking lessons.

I agree with your general point.

Reactions: tunnelvision

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wouldnt hate Zadorov on that 3rd pair but man he reportedly wants too much money for his actual talent level

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
(probably Boqvist)

I don't really know if Blankenburg will be much of an impact player, but I do know that he knows how to play his position. As Lars said, you could have created a how-to manual just from Blankenburg's video from this Spring. Boqvist should be taking lessons.

Does Blanks get the first shot at playing with Werenski?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Does Blanks get the first shot at playing with Werenski?

Maybe. Lars said that Blanks is the guy he's most excited to coach next season, and that you could have used his video as a how-to manual for playing the position. I'd actually say Blanks is probably the best bet to go next to Werenski, unless Boqvist shows up significantly stronger / smarter or Peeke gets much better at basic puck skills. So yeah, probably Blanks.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Maybe. Lars said that Blanks is the guy he's most excited to coach next season, and that you could have used his video as a how-to manual for playing the position.
Where did he say this bit, I guess I've missed it. A quote or link would be much appreciated.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
(probably Boqvist)

I agree that Blankenberg has a more advanced game at this point in time but that's why I would have him on the third pairing. Out of him, Peeke, and Boqvist, I think Blankenberg needs the least reliable partner to cover for him. Hence, he kind of leads the 3rd pairing while Boqvist is matched with someone like Gavrikov.

Also, the "pairing" order would be more a formality. It's just based on the assumption that 1st pairing = Werenski and 2nd pairing = Gavrikov.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:huh:...it wouldn't be a luxury it would be dumb. Provorov seems to be regressing so I'm not sure why we would even want him.
From what I can tell, he's not actually regressing, it's just more of a "we thought he was a #1 and it turns out he's merely top-pairing, gee golly gosh darn".

But yeah, he'd be a luxury we don't actually need. Nice to have, but at the price he'd rightly command on the market I don't think it's worth it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I hope the Jackets stay the course and don’t rush this. There is no need to sign an overpriced free agent. We are still building our core. Sure we have some nice pieces, but if you compare our core to some of the other teams (Detroit/Buffalo/Ottawa/Rangers) we are still a step behind.

I don’t think JFresh’s model where we are the 3rd worst team in hockey is correct, but I do not think this team is close to a playoff caliber team. My guess is that we would finish 22nd-27th in the league.

IMO, Nyquist HAS to be traded at the TDL (even if we overachieve) for assets, and I might do the same with Gavrikov (middle pairing LHD are easy to get via UFA). If you could get a 1st for either one I think you have to do it in a deep draft.

We need more high end pieces.

Honest question, are people wanting us to start competing this season?

From what I can tell, he's not actually regressing, it's just more of a "we thought he was a #1 and it turns out he's merely top-pairing, gee golly gosh darn".

But yeah, he'd be a luxury we don't actually need. Nice to have, but at the price he'd rightly command on the market I don't think it's worth it.
I’d say he’s a #3.

Since his draft day I’ve been arguing that Werenski is the superior player, seems like some people are finally starting to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad