Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Some GMs don't seem to have a problem sending prized prospects to the AHL. Byfield, Rossi, etc.. a lot of guys go through the AHL. Getzlaf, Spezza, lots of greats did it. I really do wonder if Jarmo is making promises or if he is overly attached to keeping his toys in the NHL. It annoys me.
So we can expect KJ to make the Jackets out of camp?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
*Maybe* in 2024. The D next year will struggle, barring any immediate personnel changes.

Husso to Detroit.

I didn’t mean they’ll be elite next year.

But considering they started this rebuild a year ago?
Monster job by Jarmo completely rebuilding the defensive prospect pool.
Jiricek+ Ceuleman+ Mateychuk in 12 months

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I didn’t mean they’ll be elite next year.

But considering they started this rebuild a year ago?
Monster job by Jarmo completely rebuilding the defensive prospect pool.
Jiricek+ Ceuleman+ Mateychuk in 12 months

Yes, and we have, like, no centers.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jarmo was a Bruin and a Senator so 🤷‍♂️
Only played 55 games, maybe he was rushed lol.
But in all seriousness he took a different path to GM becoming a scout first. Youd think him most of all would value proper development over anything else

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
So we can expect KJ to make the Jackets out of camp?
I don't think anyone is guaranteed a spot next year.
Larsen said the coaching staff wanted Sillinger sent down but they couldn't find a reason to send him down. He forced his way onto the roster and I think the same is true again for pretty much everyone again this year. Even silly if he under performs could get sent down. Especially this year with Silly, KJ, Marchenko, Bemstrom and Foudy all pushing for ice time.

Someone has got to get sent down and I don't think Larsen will want players who he doesn't think are ready on his roster.

My money is on KJ, Silly and Marchenko making the team. But Foudy is my dark horse to make it out of camp. I think most here in the Jackets board are undervaluing him. Jarmo seems to love him and thinks he has a ton of potential.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
A team that wants to be successful can't have a player like Gavrikov in the top 6. Unless, of course, his partner's family is Hedman.
A team can’t win a Stanley cup without guys like Gavrikov in the lineup.

What kind of nonsense is this ?

Defensive minded players that are solid on PK and play simple error free game are extremely important in play offs.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Mužstvo nemôže vyhrať Stanleyho pohár bez takých ľudí, ako je Gavrikov v zostave.

Čo je to za nezmysel?

Defenzívne zmýšľajúci hráči, ktorí sú solídni na PK a hrajú jednoduchú hru bez chýb, sú mimoriadne dôležití v play off.
But in the third line, not in the second. PO play is like play against Minnesota. I hope you remember how he played. I will happy if he'll improve.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So, depending on what the team does with Gabriel Carlsson, they will hold the rights to *23* defensemen come Monday. That's...a lot.

Meanwhile, there are maybe six actual centers in the entire organization.

No big trade from Jarmo (yet). If he stands pat and extends Laine and Bemstrom, the forward situation will look like:

-LW: Laine, Nyquist, Johnson*, Robinson, Texier, Gaunce (6)
-C: Jenner, Sillinger*, Roslovic, Kuraly (4)
-RW: Voracek, Bjorkstrand, Chinakhov*, Danforth, Bemstrom, Meyer*, Marchenko*, Foudy, Olivier (9)

* = does not require waivers

You can quibble about positions for a few guys. Anyway, that's potentially 19 guys. I suppose you could cut that list to 18 if you remove Meyer. But a lot of guys who maybe aren't top 12 worthy - Foudy, Olivier, Gaunce - require the risk of waivers. Almost certainly one of Chinakhov/Marchenko will start in Cleveland and may be joined by Kent Johnson. Bemstorm, if he's even extended, seems destined for Cleveland as well.

So does that get you down to (don't take these as actual line projections)
Laine-Jenner-Voracek
Nyquist-Sillinger-Bjorkstrand
Texier-Roslovic-Chinakhov/Marchenko
Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier for the occasional punching

To Cleveland not on waivers: Chinakhov/Marchenko, Johnson, Meyer, Dunne, Angle, Luoto
To Cleveland via waivers: Foudy, Bemstrom, Gaunce, maybe TFW if re-signed

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I think it is eventually going to be too many, but it is far from a logjam now.

I can totally see the eventual six D shaking out like you suggested. Maybe in five years:

Werenski - Jiricek
Mateychuk - Ceulemans
Richard - Blankenburg

My comment is that it's still too early to know who rises to the top, still far too early to start paring them down. We should wait until the logjam gets closer to happening and then make moves. Look at Colorado - they've had this incredible depth of young D prospects for the last few years. They kept their favorites and then this year they traded off Timmins, Barron, and Helleson to fill gaps elsewhere (the returns for Kuemper, Lehkonen, and Manson).
This is exactly right. Some will be NHL locks, others won’t develop as we’d wish. Let’s see who develops.

The same is said for our forwards - too many - which is true unless Jarmo uses the AHL to develop a few of them. If we trade out of the logjam, look at the remaining forward prospects and you‘ll find an incredibly thin cupboard. I’m for making greater use of the AHL and if trading, figure out a package that brings in a young top 6 forward.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That’s why I wrote the previous comment.

That I feel after this draft they are still one high end forward short from becoming a true contender.

& they may have their centers, both are just very green/unproven.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I still think there’s going to be a few trades here. On both defense and forwards over the next coming days.

Reactions: LJ7

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Would rather just roll with Peeke, Blankenburg, Boqvist at least for next season. Blankenburg's emergence has us far less lean in the immediate future
As much as I loved every second of Blankenburg last year, I have too many flashbacks of how Grant Clitsome was supposed to be this amazing eternal badass to be entirely comfortable with going there.

I really hope I'm wrong on that. It would be awesome and it would make me very happy. But paranoia paranoia everybody's coming to get me

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

This was the year to do it but he didn’t (all of the asset wingers). Again there is no clear cut 1C and it is highly annoying. He thinks quantity will suffice. 22 years as a franchise and no 1C. Seattle 2 yrs as a franchise and they have a 1 & 2C.

Do you think Jack R can cover any of the 1C’s from this past years play-offs?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
A team can’t win a Stanley cup without guys like Gavrikov in the lineup.

What kind of nonsense is this ?

Defensive minded players that are solid on PK and play simple error free game are extremely important in play offs.

The problem is Gavrikov and Peeke are getting credit just for being defensive minded guys, when ironically guys in the past like Savard were attacked for the same reasons, while him personally being MUCH better than the 2 current guys.

Both Peeke and Gavrikov have had MANY ERRORS that have led to goals over the past couple years.

Peeke’s mind is too slow to keep up defensively and Gavrikov feet are too slow to keep up.

Also, for actually being matured physically and the extreme credit he gets for being the type of defenseman he is, Gavrikov sure seems to LOSE A LOT OF PUCK BATTLES all over the ice and extreme issues tying up sticks around the net.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
The problem is Gavrikov and Peeke are getting credit just for being defensive minded guys, when ironically guys in the past like Savard were attacked for the same reasons, while him personally being MUCH better than the 2 current guys.
Just so wrong. Nobody complained about Savard until the year we traded him when he looked old, slow, and done.

And guess what, despite winning the cup in sheltered minutes, he is older, slower, and done.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just so wrong. Nobody complained about Savard until the year we traded him when he looked old, slow, and done.

And guess what, despite winning the cup in sheltered minutes, he is older, slower, and done.

Eh, we had a big contingent that didn't think Savard was an NHL caliber D-man. They didn't shut up until about 2017-18.

In any case, Savard was a good shutdown D, Gavrikov is a good shutdown D, and it looks to me like Peeke is becoming a good shutdown D. I'm surprised there is any debate about it.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Eh, we had a big contingent that didn't think Savard was an NHL caliber D-man. They didn't shut up until about 2017-18.
I don’t remember this at all. There was a lot of people writing off Savard as a prospect when JD called him fat essentially, but that was it. As far as I remember

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

In any case, Savard was a good shutdown D, Gavrikov is a good shutdown D, and it looks to me like Peeke is becoming a good shutdown D. I'm surprised there is any debate about it.
This is true. I was one of them. His first couple years in the League I thought Savard had skates filled with concrete. His feet were so slow a novice like me could notice it. Somehow he figured it out. Good on him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t remember this at all. There was a lot of people writing off Savard as a prospect when JD called him fat essentially, but that was it. As far as I remember

This is true. I was one of them. His first couple years in the League I thought Savard had skates filled with concrete. His feet were so slow a novice like me could notice it. Somehow he figured it out. Good on him.

Yeah I'm not talking about the critiques of him when he was a prospect or a callup. I mean after he become one of our top minute D, there were still some very vocal critics for a couple years. Maybe my memory is off, I don't know.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I agree; I think Savard was universally loved or at least respected, because you always need creative offensive d men just as much as strong defensive ones

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Don’t we have a surplus of wingers now ? What’s the play ?
Package some and get one better player in return. The key just is that the target player must be on his way out anyways, because in most cases teams want quality, not quantity.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah I'm not talking about the critiques of him when he was a prospect or a callup. I mean after he become one of our top minute D, there were still some very vocal critics for a couple years. Maybe my memory is off, I don't know.
There were, but for the most part they were on the fringe and were more or less easily ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad