2022-23 Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It might not be Chevy making those moves. I think if they flame out, either not making playoffs or getting booted 1st round, I can’t see any fathomable reason Chevy gets to stay to draft the next round of kids, let alone trade our core. A new GM would come in and decide who stays and who goes.

Lol. Not for 3 years atleast

One fathomable reason - paying 2 GMs.

Is this the first year of his 3 year extension or the last of his previous contract? I think it is the first of 3, so it would be 2 GMs for 2 years. That's a few $mil.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Time will tell where we end up.......
When the teams that are chasing us are getting recently clobbered (Flames 8-2; Nashville 7-0), it’s very unrealistic to think the Jets are going to fall out of the playoff race?

If we do get eliminated, it would be a massive surprise if that happened earlier than 1-2 games left in the season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
When the teams that are chasing us are getting recently clobbered (Flames 8-2; Nashville 7-0), it’s very unrealistic to think the Jets are going to fall out of the playoff race?

If we do get eliminated, it would be a massive surprise if that happened earlier than 1-2 games left in the season.

Calgary has a soft schedule but they are not playing like they want to get in. If the Jets could get 3 in a row here against some weaker opposition I think they should solidify that spot.

Reactions: surixon

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Personal opinion: If Wheeler and Scheifele want to go then Chevy will do whatever he can to make that happen. The problem is that I think Wheeler the player has some value, but Wheeler the contract has negative value. The Jets don't win or lose by moving him. Scheifele still has a ton of value and there will likely be many teams lining up to bid on him, but those bids may not be what the Winnipeg fanbase is expecting or will be happy with. If those guys go I think it's pretty clear that Helle will want out too. If these guys all want out there is really no point to hanging on to PLD for another season as his value is probably pretty good this offseason. That leaves this team with Connor and Ehlers as the two premier guys up front and Morrissey at the back. The rebuild is going to take at least three years to get new star quality players into the lineup and that's only if we hit homeruns on our current prospects (unlikely) and most upcoming first and second rounders. If fans, me included, think the last couple seasons have been hard to watch, just wait for the full rebuild years.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
It seems to me that people forget that if we trade away some of the core were not going to be left with only 7 forwards or something. You will get players back and you can sign FAs also.

Also Id much rather watch a young team working its butt off than a bunch of soft underachieving vets float around the playoff bubble.

Rebuilds are part of sports if you can't handle them well then you're not much of a fan.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Calgary has a soft schedule but they are not playing like they want to get in. If the Jets could get 3 in a row here against some weaker opposition I think they should solidify that spot.
Hey, this is a tank thread. No expressions of positivity here.

Because I don't want to upset the apple cart, what is the earliest that the Jets can be eliminated from the playoffs? April 3.

This would require the following to occur (ignoring collapses by teams ahead of us in the standings):

1. Nashville goes 8-0-0
2. Winnipeg goes 0-6-0

That will give our young players 5 games to strut their stuff in the NHL!

I will update this as the days go on as I suspect the "5 games" to drop as either Nashville or Winnipeg don't hold up their end of the bargain. :)

Reactions: Luc Labelle

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It seems to me that people forget that if we trade away some of the core were not going to be left with only 7 forwards or something. You will get players back and you can sign FAs also.

Also Id much rather watch a young team working its butt off than a bunch of soft underachieving vets float around the playoff bubble.

Rebuilds are part of sports if you can't handle them well then you're not much of a fan.

Something else people forget is that Chevy isn't exactly the person in control of the situation. Chevy might be the GM, but it's the UFAs that decide what they want to do. If they stay or go that's all up to them as is their right as a UFA. All Chevy can do is try to fill the holes as best he can if the UFAs leave.

Ownership can want to avoid a rebuild all they want, but sometimes it's out of their control. And as fans , we need to understand the business as well. Teams are going to cycle and you need to accept the lows that come from things beyond your control.

Sometimes the tank gets gassed up for you.

Reactions: Buffdog

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
If the Jets go in to rebuild I fear the rink will be half empty. Jets fans are real fans, but also it is not a "rich" fan base in comparison to other markets. So people will continue to be "fans" but from their couch vs spending a few hundred bucks to watch Ehlers, JoMo and Connor.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Who's saying the bolded? Also I wouldn't bank on Winnipeg signing FAs, or at least the kind of FAs that aren't just place holders until younger guys are ready. 2013 era Jets. I'll still be into it but I'm not going out of my way to watch a rebuilding era Jets team game by game like I would if they were good or fighting for something worthwhile (like now with a playoff spot, at least that's something that can sell a game).

Reactions: DRW204

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If the Jets go in to rebuild I fear the rink will be half empty. Jets fans are real fans, but also it is not a "rich" fan base in comparison to other markets. So people will continue to be "fans" but from their couch vs spending a few hundred bucks to watch Ehlers, JoMo and Connor.

Not sure when it happens, next season or further down the road.........but it will happen eventually bc its unavoidable in all sports leagues.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Personal opinion: If Wheeler and Scheifele want to go then Chevy will do whatever he can to make that happen. The problem is that I think Wheeler the player has some value, but Wheeler the contract has negative value. The Jets don't win or lose by moving him. Scheifele still has a ton of value and there will likely be many teams lining up to bid on him, but those bids may not be what the Winnipeg fanbase is expecting or will be happy with. If those guys go I think it's pretty clear that Helle will want out too. If these guys all want out there is really no point to hanging on to PLD for another season as his value is probably pretty good this offseason. That leaves this team with Connor and Ehlers as the two premier guys up front and Morrissey at the back. The rebuild is going to take at least three years to get new star quality players into the lineup and that's only if we hit homeruns on our current prospects (unlikely) and most upcoming first and second rounders. If fans, me included, think the last couple seasons have been hard to watch, just wait for the full rebuild years.
I don’t think there is a chance Ehlers or Connor stay for a rebuild. Ehlers is due his new contract the year after Helly and Scheifele. Connor the year after that. They will want to chase cups not top 5 draft picks. Playing on a bottom feeder with no top 6 centers will also cut into point totals which they will want for the big UFA contracts.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the season ticket base is what will take the biggest hit. Why spend $10,000+ on a couple season tickets when you can pick and choose any games you want at deep discounts. The arena will only be full for the Leafs Habs and Bruins and it won’t be full of Jets fans.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not sure when it happens, next season or further down the road.........but it will happen eventually bc its unavoidable in all sports leagues.
Yup, it’ll happen. Likely this summer because it’s seem more and more so that, this core, like the kids say, “ain’t it.”

Reactions: Fairview

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think the season ticket base is what will take the biggest hit. Why spend $10,000+ on a couple season tickets when you can pick and choose any games you want at deep discounts. The arena will only be full for the Leafs Habs and Bruins and it won’t be full of Jets fans.

I don't think your wrong, but it still won't stop it from happening, rebuilds are unavoidable just like taxes and death. I'm just curious if we start one next year or not and that depends largely on Mark & Helle......IMO PLD is as good as gone

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It might not be Chevy making those moves. I think if they flame out, either not making playoffs or getting booted 1st round, I can’t see any fathomable reason Chevy gets to stay to draft the next round of kids, let alone trade our core. A new GM would come in and decide who stays and who goes.
Chipman is not doing anything about Cheveldayoff especially if he recently extended him.
Chipman always seems to push all his chips in too early with extensions eg, Maurice now possibly Chevy.

Reactions: sipowicz

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think your wrong, but it still won't stop it from happening, rebuilds are unavoidable just like taxes and death. I'm just curious if we start one next year or not and that depends largely on Mark & Helle......IMO PLD is as good as gone
I think many don’t appreciate how long and painful rebuilds are if you can’t finish them off with UFAs that want to sign with you. Buffalo is just about to miss the post season for the 12th year in a row. Over the last 10 years they have had 17 first round picks, including 10 top 10 picks, 2 of which were 2nd OA and 2 of which were 1st OA picks. They have a good young team but the may still be a couple years away from even making the playoffs.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think many don’t appreciate how long and painful rebuilds are if you can’t finish them off with UFAs that want to sign with you. Buffalo is just about to miss the post season for the 12th year in a row. Over the last 10 years they have had 17 first round picks, including 10 top 10 picks, 2 of which were 2nd OA and 2 of which were 1st OA picks. They have a good young team but the may still be a couple years away from even making the playoffs.

They just need a goalie IMO. I think they're there with that Finnish guy and Levi but they might need a year or two.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They just need a goalie IMO. I think they're there with that Finnish guy and Levi but they might need a year or two.
Agreed, but after 12 years and lots and lots of losing, they are still trying to put enough pieces together to just make the playoffs. If we lose/move Helly it may be a decade or more before we get anyone near as good as he is.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I agree to a degree only, your also using one of the worst run teams in NHL history for the last 20 years or so as your example...........so I take that example with a big grain of salt. Sabers management has been one of the biggest jokes in the NHL for a very long time, might be the worst team management in 20 years (only in the last couple years have they finally improved management)........which is saying something when compared to the Oilers, Coyotes, Nucks, etc. Plus your assuming or talking about a scorched earth rebuild, which is one option but not the only option. While I'm very open to a rebuild/restructure, I also know the team would be fun to watch albeit not competitive for likely 5+ years. You might assuming I'm being overly optimistic, but I think your being overly negative with your opinion how long it takes (with a good management team & scouts & owner willing to put money down).

2011 the team we got was in ways worst then a expansion team now a days, thats why in 2011 & 2012 I screamed over and over to do a rebuild bc the team was so bad and we didn't have talent to compete. Finally the team did a restructure, went in the direction of younger players, developing players and we made the final 4 in 2018 IIRC (that didn't take 10+ years to improve our team), etc...........I'm advocating (only if Mark & Helle refuse to extend & PLD is traded) a restructure not a total scorched earth rebuild. If they refuse to sign, nothing we as fans can do about it then......Jets without Mark, Helle and PLD are a bottom 3-5 team anyways so lets trade them this summer if they refuse to sign and lets kick start that restructure/rebuild so it becomes shorter.

To be clear, I'm not advocating a rebuild/restructure if the players want to resign, I'm saying rebuild/restructure is required if they refuse to resign and it would only speed up any rebuild/restructure by doing what I'm saying.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree to a degree only, your also using one of the worst run teams in NHL history for the last 20 years or so as your example...........so I take that example with a big grain of salt. Sabers management has been one of the biggest jokes in the NHL for a very long time, might be the worst team management in 20 years (only in the last couple years have they finally improved management)........which is saying something when compared to the Oilers, Coyotes, Nucks, etc. Plus your assuming or talking about a scorched earth rebuild, which is one option but not the only option. While I'm very open to a rebuild/restructure, I also know the team would be fun to watch albeit not competitive for likely 5+ years. You might assuming I'm being overly optimistic, but I think your being overly negative with your opinion how long it takes (with a good management team & scouts & owner willing to put money down).

2011 the team we got was in ways worst then a expansion team now a days, thats why in 2011 & 2012 I screamed over and over to do a rebuild bc the team was so bad and we didn't have talent to compete. Finally the team did a restructure, went in the direction of younger players, developing players and we made the final 4 in 2018 IIRC (that didn't take 10+ years to improve our team), etc...........I'm advocating (only if Mark & Helle refuse to extend & PLD is traded) a restructure not a total scorched earth rebuild. If they refuse to sign, nothing we as fans can do about it then......Jets without Mark, Helle and PLD are a bottom 3-5 team anyways so lets trade them this summer if they refuse to sign and lets kick start that restructure/rebuild so it becomes shorter.

To be clear, I'm not advocating a rebuild/restructure if the players want to resign, I'm saying rebuild/restructure is required if they refuse to resign and it would only speed up any rebuild/restructure by doing what I'm saying.

I think with good management and luck, the Jets could probably "re-tool" in about 4 or 5 seasons, which would be back in the playoff conversation, but getting to contender levels could take much longer.

Reactions: Hunter368

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think with good management and luck, the Jets could probably "re-tool" in about 4 or 5 seasons, which would be back in the playoff conversation, but getting to contender levels could take much longer.
When you say retool, who do you see as gone and who do you see staying?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
When you say retool, who do you see as gone and who do you see staying?

I think players like Connor and Morrissey to start with based on contract status, then you add to that group. I only say "re-tool" because I think people have the idea that a rebuild is only by trading anyone with any value and starting over.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think players like Connor and Morrissey to start with based on contract status, then you add to that group. I only say "re-tool" because I think people have the idea that a rebuild is only by trading anyone with any value and starting over.
The player I really doubt stays around is Connor. First off he is an American, and being a scoring winger he will take a big points hit with Scheifele and PLD gone. He will know going in with the initial deep dive with the Jets in the first couple years of a retool/rebuild will likely have a big drag on his next big UFA deal. In a rebuilding team he is likely a 30G 60 point winger. Playing on a contender with a top 10 center he could be a 50G 100 point player. That's $3-4 M per year for his next UFA deal. And I'll add if you were going to rebuild he would bring the biggest return, because of his term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad