2022-23 Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With so little success since 2018 when you have guys who were in the prime in 2018 with Scheiffle at 25, Connor at 21, Morrissey at 23, Trouba at 24, Ehlers at 22, Helly at 25, Laine at 20, with 30 year olds in Buff and Wheeler you expected them to do something. But it hasn’t been the case.

Is it suddenly going to turn around by dealing one or two of these guys? Can it? Or do you strip it down to the studs and try again with a new group? Would be painful to do. But the current group doesn’t feel right.

When 1 top 6 C is almost certainly forcing his way out and the other is either going to do that or force a crippling contract plus the Vezina calibre goalie probably in the same boat, I don't think there is a lot of choice with any of those 3. Moving those 3 is pretty much stripping it down to the studs.

The alternative of trading everybody leaves no experienced players to support the new young players coming in.

There is no point in moving Wheeler. Just wait out the last year of his contract. The same goes for Pionk and Schmidt. We don't likely need the cap space from any of them for a couple of years. IF some team wants to give us anything for them take it. But that isn't likely.

At some point I think you'd have to start leaning or hypothesizing that the collection of talent may not be as good as we think, or when comparing to other teams.

We've had those players for years now, last four seasons we're basically a ~90ish pt team.

I don't know if running it back with essentially the same squad, notably in the prominent roles is the answer. At some point you'd have to consider if some sort of "ceiling" has been reached with this group as basically a PO bubble team. For instance you go into next year with basically the same squad, are we going to just expect to be a cup caliber team? :dunno:

We have reached "at some point".
Running it back with essentially the same squad isn't really an option. I'm assuming Dubois is gone, so it is a lesser squad even if no other changes are made.

Reactions: ERYX

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The roster is talented individually do they gel consistently?
Not hard to understand.

That is not untrue - but there is more to it than that.

There are only 2 things it can be, the roster or the coaching staff. How many times can we blame coaching?

Its the roster - and maybe the coaching too - but its the roster.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hey gotta find some fun in this thread.
I guarantee you it will go full toxic with a loss tonight.
There will be a lot of checking out by some until next season.
Not going to lie. The Jets give us another gutless epic choke against Nashville I will probably be among those checking out until next year (especially since I’ll be in Europe on vacation) and I think I am generally relatively positive.

I enjoyed the early jets days more than the past couple months, where they played hard even if they lost/missed the playoffs. There just better (finally) be changes that are not coaching changes.

There are only 2 things it can be, the roster or the coaching staff. How many times can we blame coaching?

This.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

The roster is weak, below average D corp, 3-4 legit top 6 forwards, bottom 6 essentially all 4th liners, top notch netminder!

Chevy's latest masterpiece is a dud!

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The roster is weak, below average D corp, 3-4 legit top 6 forwards, bottom 6 essentially all 4th liners, top notch netminder!

Chevy's latest masterpiece is a dud!
I'm not even sure our bottom six are all that bad, considering how well we did when significant top-six pieces were out for long stretches early in the season.

It seems to me that the Jets would be better served assembling a team like the 17/18 Knights without any big superstars/premodonnas, just a bunch of workmanlike middle-sixers who had something to prove. Such a formula appears to work, and I think that middle-six types like that are less likely to attempt to force their way out or feel that Winnipeg owes them something for consenting to play there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not even sure our bottom six are all that bad, considering how well we did when significant top-six pieces were out for long stretches early in the season.

It seems to me that the Jets would be better served assembling a team like the 17/18 Knights without any big superstars/premodonnas, just a bunch of workmanlike middle-sixers who had something to prove. Such a formula appears to work, and I think that middle-six types like that are less likely to attempt to force their way out or feel that Winnipeg owes them something for consenting to play there.

I think that has some merit, but I don't fully agree. The '18 Knights were a fluke. Getting MAF was a fluke (what were Pens thinking?).

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Yeah, that’s where my thinking lies in terms of a future team make-up.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think that has some merit, but I don't fully agree. The '18 Knights were a fluke. Getting MAF was a fluke (what were Pens thinking?).
Well, my thinking was that we'd still have Helle, but with an '18 Knights style roster in front of him. Helle > MAF, IMO ... although MAF was crazy hot during that playoff run and definitely outgoalied Helle in that infamous series.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, my thinking was that we'd still have Helle, but with an '18 Knights style roster in front of him. Helle > MAF, IMO ... although MAF was crazy hot during that playoff run and definitely outgoalied Helle in that infamous series.

MAF also had a 92.8 sv% in the regular season. He was a huge part of their success. It was just crazy that he was available in the expansion draft. Even though Pens had decided to move on from him (very poor decision making IMO), surely they could have managed it better than they did.

They got a few other players who should never have been available to them as well and then just outperformed from there.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Could be in range of 3rd overall by the end of the night. If we lose to nashville I'm gonna be following this a bit more closely - getting a 1oa caliber center would be huge with some lottery luck

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
200w.gif

Reactions: Guardian17

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
With Tampa Bay winning today, for draft positioning…

Winnipeg will draft:

18th - If Winnipeg loses in 1st or 2nd round of playoffs, AND, NY Islanders advance to at least 3rd round

19th - If Winnipeg and NY Islanders both lose in 1st or 2nd round of playoffs.

29-32 - If Winnipeg advances to 3rd round or greater.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Sorry. I guess you have the right to hope for your team to tank even after they have made the playoffs. Never seen it before, but I respect your right to cheer for us to lose.
I’ve been on team tank since before the season started when it became clear they were going to “run it back”. I even started the original tank thread this season but the mods closed it because it was “too early”. Chevy/Chipman doing absolutely nothing to the core in the offseason was, well… a choice. And frustrating.

Getting the 19th pick I view as a better prize than winning 2 rounds, at most. There’s no way this team had any chance of winning the Cup. Just my opinion.

Cheers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry. I guess you have the right to hope for your team to tank even after they have made the playoffs. Never seen it before, but I respect your right to cheer for us to lose.

Obviously there could be no actual tank by the Jets this year. At least not after they elected to not shake up the roster after last season.

'Tank' on this thread title should not be taken literally. First of all, it really applies to next year (its always next year here). And second, I don't think the Jets are going to actually tank next year even if they hold a fire sale at the draft.

I see the tank thread as a place to come and vent. Fire everyone you can't trade and trade everyone you can't fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad