2022-23 Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bryan Little had 3 and a half years of NHL experience when the Jets moved here. He had also already scored 31 goals in a full season. Perfetti hasn't lined up at C yet at all, not to mention he's had 2 semi-major injuries in his short career.

Buff had Enström to help him grow into the role and was also already a Stanley Cup winner.

Atlanta had a prospect pipeline but they just threw them into the lineup right away. Bogosian was a 2008 draft pick. Evander Kane was an 09 pick. Burmistrov was 2010. All in the starting lineup when the puck dropped here in 2011.

I think the Jets have very big plans for McGroarty. Apart from him, it's a lot of players that filled out rosters like Buffalo and Edmonton (pre-McDavid).

Ya, I didn't say there was no difference between Little and Perfetti. I suggested it is not all that much.

Buff had being made to play wing if he didn't shape up to help him grow into the role.

Yes, Atlanta's pipeline was all in the NHL.

Jets still have a lot of potential in the system. It won't all pan out but some of it will. I didn't bother to list them all because they are still unknown quantities. Atlanta had a few of those too. Not many and Chiarot was the only one who made it. I think we will get more than 1 player out of Heinola, Chibrikov, Kuzmin, Rashevsky, Chisholm, Gawanke, Zhilkin, Devincentiis, Wagner, Torgersson and Lundmark.

I think Jets have high hopes for Lambert and Lucius too. Lucius's injuries are a concern.

That is with no mention at all of any returns on PLD, Scheifele and Helle. Also unknown at this point. Trade partners will likely be current PO teams or the rising teams that are on the bubble. Most of the current PO teams will have either later picks or lesser prospects to offer. Some of the rising teams will have both earlier picks and some good prospects.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
9EAF7D9E-5A16-4106-BEA0-717C0901263E.png

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Good morning, fellow Tankers!

Another disappointing night yesterday. Those cursed Jets win again :mad:!! The Flames lost and to be honest, I think they're out of the race :(. Fortunately, Nashville won :thumbu: to keep our hopes alive of potentially missing the playoffs and getting some NHL games in for some of our Moose.

As a result of last night's action:

The earliest that the Jets can be eliminated from the playoffs: April 5 (previously April 4).

This would require the following to occur (ignoring collapses by teams ahead of us in the standings):

1. Nashville goes 8-0-0 (unchanged)
2. Winnipeg goes 0-5-0 (unchanged)

That will give our young players 4 games (previously 5 games) to strut their stuff in the NHL!

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A variation away from the usual Helle / Dubois / Scheifele chatter...

Any thoughts on the new coach for next season?

Does Ehlers demand a trade?

Is ANYone untouchable? Even Morrissey?

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
I don't think they are untouchable, I see it more as a busy GM with several other players that need a new contract or to be traded. So Morrissey and Connor are IMO so unlikely to be traded this year that I will wait with speculation regarding those 2 at least

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think they are untouchable, I see it more as a busy GM with several other players that need a new contract or to be traded. So Morrissey and Connor are IMO so unlikely to be traded this year that I will wait with speculation regarding those 2 at least
The to do list begins with the 2024 group of to be ufas. PLD shows no signs of extending any ufa years. Wheeler is nearing the end of his career. The other 2 that can stick around are Helly and Scheiffle.

What would the jets get back for PLD? They need nhl bodies in return if they plan on trying to extend the other 2.

Do Helly and Scheiffle want to stick around if the current situation doesn’t change?

And really are the jets a team as currently constructed capable of a long playoff run to the WCF? Seems like that window from 2018 onwards never truly materialized for them like it should have on paper.

Wouldn’t look to move Connor but Detroit has a lot of draft capital this coming draft. If Yzerman was looking to be aggressive he could be looking to add an impact player like Connor. They have extra firsts that belong to Islanders and Bruins and seconds from Canucks and Blues. Plus their own picks to package up if the jets were looking at a full on rebuild.

ghyrti

Oct 21, 2014
In the 16 team playoff era Jets could be first team to miss the playoffs when leading their conference at any point after Jan 1 (shortened seasons excluded). How do you justify not making significant changes if that happens?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In the 16 team playoff era Jets could be first team to miss the playoffs when leading their conference at any point after Jan 1 (shortened seasons excluded). How do you justify not making significant changes if that happens?
On paper the Jets seem like a team that should be very good. High end talent with Connor, Scheiffle, with Ehlers, PLD as well. High end goalie. Defence isn't as deep as you would like, but still should be solidly in a PO spot right now.

How big or deep will the changes be? PLD is entering the Trouba situation this off-season. He's not committing long term to the Jets. Wheeler is down to his final year. Still produces if he is retained, he'd fetch a draft pick for the Jets. Helly and Scheiffle, what do they want to do?

If you are moving them and the return is mostly draft picks or prospects that just got drafted, the timeline for the return to make an impact is going to be after the contract of Ehlers expires and maybe even Connor's.

If any and everyone is available, you'd get a tonne for Connor. $7 mill cap hit for another 3 seasons is a good deal for someone like him.

Really comes down to what the Jets want to do and really what Helly and Scheiffle want to do as well. Since the WCF in 2018, the Jets have lost in Rd 1 in 2019, lost in Qualifying round in 2020, won Rd 1 in 2021 in the all CAD division and lost in Rd 2, missed PO in 2022 and are fighting for their PO lives in 2023. 1 series win in the past 4 seasons. If they don't win a round this year, it would be 1 PO series win in 5 seasons with a core that is in their prime.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It would be nice to just tear it all down, as this core doesn't seem to have what it takes to compete. They seem to be all complementary players with none of them willing to or capable of leading by example when it counts.
With so little success since 2018 when you have guys who were in the prime in 2018 with Scheiffle at 25, Connor at 21, Morrissey at 23, Trouba at 24, Ehlers at 22, Helly at 25, Laine at 20, with 30 year olds in Buff and Wheeler you expected them to do something. But it hasn’t been the case.

Is it suddenly going to turn around by dealing one or two of these guys? Can it? Or do you strip it down to the studs and try again with a new group? Would be painful to do. But the current group doesn’t feel right.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
In the 16 team playoff era Jets could be first team to miss the playoffs when leading their conference at any point after Jan 1 (shortened seasons excluded).
I just want to know if we'll be making a banner for the arena or a sculpture for True North square. It's what this team and management have earned after all.

• Haha
Reactions: rkp and Hobble

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
At some point I think you'd have to start leaning or hypothesizing that the collection of talent may not be as good as we think, or when comparing to other teams.

We've had those players for years now, last four seasons we're basically a ~90ish pt team.

I don't know if running it back with essentially the same squad, notably in the prominent roles is the answer. At some point you'd have to consider if some sort of "ceiling" has been reached with this group as basically a PO bubble team. For instance you go into next year with basically the same squad, are we going to just expect to be a cup caliber team? :dunno:

On paper the Jets seem like a team that should be very good. High end talent with Connor, Scheiffle, with Ehlers, PLD as well. High end goalie. Defence isn't as deep as you would like, but still should be solidly in a PO spot right now.

How big or deep will the changes be? PLD is entering the Trouba situation this off-season. He's not committing long term to the Jets. Wheeler is down to his final year. Still produces if he is retained, he'd fetch a draft pick for the Jets. Helly and Scheiffle, what do they want to do?

If you are moving them and the return is mostly draft picks or prospects that just got drafted, the timeline for the return to make an impact is going to be after the contract of Ehlers expires and maybe even Connor's.

If any and everyone is available, you'd get a tonne for Connor. $7 mill cap hit for another 3 seasons is a good deal for someone like him.

Really comes down to what the Jets want to do and really what Helly and Scheiffle want to do as well. Since the WCF in 2018, the Jets have lost in Rd 1 in 2019, lost in Qualifying round in 2020, won Rd 1 in 2021 in the all CAD division and lost in Rd 2, missed PO in 2022 and are fighting for their PO lives in 2023. 1 series win in the past 4 seasons. If they don't win a round this year, it would be 1 PO series win in 5 seasons with a core that is in their prime.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
At some point I think you'd have to start leaning or hypothesizing that the collection of talent may not be as good as we think, or when comparing to other teams.

We've had those players for years now, last four seasons we're basically a ~90ish pt team.

I don't know if running it back with essentially the same squad, notably in the prominent roles is the answer. At some point you'd have to consider if some sort of "ceiling" has been reached with this group as basically a PO bubble team. For instance you go into next year with basically the same squad, are we going to just expect to be a cup caliber team? :dunno:
There is nothing wrong with the roster.
There is everything wrong with chemistry and it’s been that way for a long time.
If TNSE can’t see that….. then status quo going forward.

Reactions: rkp

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
There is everything wrong with chemistry and it’s been that way for a long time.
Well, if the problem is the 'chemistry' and the 'chemistry' comes from the locker room, and the roster is what's in the locker room, how is it not the roster?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
For draft positioning, gotta cheer for FLA, NYI, CGY, NSH, PIT and BUF to keep winning.

Jets can still end up as high as 13th draft position. And if they somehow win lottery in that situation, would draft 3rd or 4th overall.

Eyes on the prize, fellas!

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Well, if the problem is the 'chemistry' and the 'chemistry' comes from the locker room, and the roster is what's in the locker room, how is it not the roster?
The roster is talented individually do they gel consistently?
Not hard to understand.

Reactions: rkp

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I was alluding to skill and talent level. I'm not saying theyre bad. But idk if they're collectively higher skilled or overall better than some of the competition these days.

Rewind to 17-18 I'd say we were a deeply skilled and hardworking tram. however id say teams personnel have gotten better (EDM, COL, MIN, LAK, VGK come to mind over the years) and id say we're not as great as we once were. Roster turnover replaced by inferior players, or the older players perhaps not as good as they once were. As well as chemistry.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I was alluding to skill and talent level. I'm not saying theyre bad. But idk if they're collectively higher skilled or overall better than some of the competition these days.

Rewind to 17-18 I'd say we were a deeply skilled and hardworking tram. however id say teams personnel have gotten better (EDM, COL, MIN, LAK, VGK come to mind over the years) and id say we're not as great as we once were. Roster turnover replaced by inferior players, or the older players perhaps not as good as they once were. As well as chemistry.
The 17-18 team was awesome.
Teamwork was evident.
Everyone on the same page.
That was an exciting time for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad