2022/23 Roster Thread XX: Heading into the Homestretch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
"We have a really good scouting team."

Ch ch ch changes. :laugh:

Honestly, actions are going to speak more - but he sounds like a lot of the same BS. The country club lives on. This team doesn't care about building a modern contender, maintaining the bully brand - and everyone's lifetime job is more important.

They fired Fletcher. Its where it ends.

The idea that Briere is a Comcast plant forced on hockey ops to force change has never made sense to me. It's clear hockey ops has long existed as its own thing and the cronies would not have allowed his presence if that were the case. He's one of them. Otherwise he'd have been totally marginalized

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The idea that Briere is a Comcast plant forced on hockey ops to force change has never made sense to me. It's clear hockey ops has long existed as its own thing and the cronies would not have allowed his presence if that were the case. He's one of them. Otherwise he'd have been totally marginalized

Lol they are all the same man. Just stupid people all round, it’s a simple explanation that fits quite well.

Organizational, and ownership incompetence.

I don’t know why anyone should believe positive change is coming when all the same rats remain.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why the f*** does it matter how thin they are at RHD while they are rebuilding?
Because you got to play someone, and being really bad is bad for player development.

I don't want to see Wylie or Belpedio in the NHL b/c we're short on bodies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The Devils being the 3rd worst team two years back ruined all their players, as we can see by their horrible performance this year.

When developing you really need to make sure you keep around horrible vets to block the youth. Then make sure you cry to the media about the youth not being more impactful and being soft, while jerking off every awful player on the team. Ristolainen and Deslauriers are vital to this teams future.

Torts and Briere are of one mind, meaning both have half a brain and when put together it's like one really slow mind.

Last edited:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Because you got to play someone, and being really bad is bad for player development.

Bro, this team was trying to compete and was the 5th worst team in the league last year. Signing a vet RHD in free agency for a year isn't going to ruin anyone.

The Devils being the 3rd worst team two years back ruined all their players, as we can see by their horrible performance last year.

When developing you really need to make sure you keep around horrible vets to block the youth. Then make sure you cry to the media about the youth not being more impactful and being soft, while jerking off every awful player on the team. Ristolainen and Deslauriers are vital to this teams future.

Torts and Briere are of one mind, meaning both have half a brain and when put together it's like one really slow mind.
Colorado being the worst team in 2017 ruined that team. The have no future and will never win a cup

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

They are really bad already.

You know what's vastly worse for development? Refusing to give anyone real chances, making their lives as futile as possible, delighting in doing so, and working hard to suppress skill to make everything into a grinder.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Remember you said young players shouldn't play with DeAngelo because it's also bad for development? Makes you think. The truth is bad rebuilding teams don't have to prioritize playing aging guys with no future here. Not being able to move someone is a different story than choosing to not move someone (with term, $$$, even value). You believed Ristolainen was easy to move the second he put pen to paper, after a mediocre year, so forgive us for rolling our eyes when it comes to you proclaiming they shouldn't move him now because he's TOO valuable or his value will keep increasing by age 29-30.

Surely, "playing someone" is not a binary choice between AHLer or Ristolainen/DeAngelo. They can take on a reasonably short bad contract, along with an asset. They can sign some Braun-type UFA. You know this. That's why this is a waste of time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Remember you said young players shouldn't play with DeAngelo because it's also bad for development? Makes you think. The truth is bad rebuilding teams don't have to prioritize playing aging guys with no future here. Not being able to move someone is a different story than choosing to not move someone (with term, $$$, even value). You believed Ristolainen was easy to move the second he put pen to paper, after a mediocre year, so forgive us for rolling our eyes when it comes to you proclaiming they shouldn't move him now because he's TOO valuable or his value will keep increasing by age 29-30.

Surely, "playing someone" is not a binary choice between AHLer or Ristolainen/DeAngelo. They can take on a reasonably short bad contract, along with an asset. They can sign some Braun-type UFA. You know this. That's why this is a waste of time.
I believed Risto should be easy to move down the road if he keeps playing decently because 3x5 isn't that hard to work out a deal (take a 3rd pair D-man back who makes $2M a year, for example). I never said he was easy to move at 5x$5, the same way Ghost was impossible to move at 2x$4.5. But big physical RHDs are always in demand, once the term is short enough to reduce downside risk.

Yes, I've suggested they'll probably bring in a veteran RHD for a year or two if they want to move York back to LHD.

Some people here don't really believe in rebuilding, they just want to dump the players they don't like without regard to obtaining value.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Does it all come down to TDA not having any value? They would rather keep him then buy him out which is wrong. I really don’t want him on this team next season. Dude is a massive dickbag
Keep Tony and Hayes to help next year’s tank?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I just watched the Briere press conference - everything he said was pretty much expected.

Why are people here so stunned that he is talking up Hayes in an attempt to increase or at least stabilize his trade value?

Of course he should have tried to appeal to the fanbase by throwing Hayes, TDA, Risto under the bus, calling them overpaid, lazy and inept at hockey. Right? And then everyone would have complained how he failed to move those pieces.:sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I believed Risto should be easy to move down the road if he keeps playing decently because 3x5 isn't that hard to work out a deal (take a 3rd pair D-man back who makes $2M a year, for example). I never said he was easy to move at 5x$5, the same way Ghost was impossible to move at 2x$4.5. But big physical RHDs are always in demand, once the term is short enough to reduce downside risk.

Yes, I've suggested they'll probably bring in a veteran RHD for a year or two if they want to move York back to LHD.

Some people here don't really believe in rebuilding, they just want to dump the players they don't like without regard to obtaining value.

His entire career says that he won't keep playing decently.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Are people really upset that Briere/Torts didn't trash TDA and say "yeah he's as good as gone" or something along those lines? The dude has rock bottom value. They obviously want to TRY to work with him to they can deal him off for something more than a 7th rounder or cash at next season's TDL.

Reactions: renberg and Larry44

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
Lol…it really does seem like people are pissed that Briere didn’t trash his players, while at the same time pissed at Torts for tanking his players values. WTF?! Briere is doing what he’s supposed to, polishing the turds he has on his roster to make them as attractive as possible. Will it work? Probably not. But he has to try. I also heard Torts saying he wants more kids on in addition to the ones we had this year. Yet some will have you believe he said the opposite. Again, WTF?! I’m further convinced that many of you would have pissed no matter what they said.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't mind what they did or didn't say about Angelo. The whole league knows he's damaged goods, and aren't going to be doing the Flyers any favors when it comes to getting out his crappy contract, or getting back the picks they wasted on him.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I don’t get how something happened, yet they’re making it known they don’t want to move him. Not like people gonna be banging down the door.

I think sometimes Torts kind of tells on himself when he talks, he said he wants players to come talk to him, and doesn't like calling the 1-1 meetings - so this is my official guess:

Torts/Rocky scratched Tony for that awful performance in the last game he played, he then proceeds to sit for a game or two or whatever and then Torts dropped the "haven't talked to him" at a press conference.

Yesterday Torts said something that after being benched, TK came and talked to him, Frost did, AND Tony did...

My guess is that Tony didn't go to Torts and discuss the scratch sooner, which is why Tony remained scratched for the last 2 games or whatever - and that's why Tony called it "ridiculous". There was also probably a lot of "yeah, but" from Tony in that meeting, which Torts explicitly called out yesterday as lack of accountability.

Although you all know that I am not a fan of TDA, I don't think it's fair to assume Tony did something to poison the room or anything, he was at the Sixers game last night with a bunch of the guys. I honestly think it's just a classic Torts pissing match with an underperforming player. Hope he gets traded.

I thought Torts presser was better than Brieres.

And I don’t like Torts at all

That was pretty candid from Torts, I appreciated hearing some insight to be honest.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you "aggressively reload" you have to dump contracts to make cap room for "aggressive" acquisitions. We saw how that turned out.

When you embark on a 3-5 year rebuild, there's no urgency, you can wait until you can dump a player without eating money or paying for the privilege and build up their trade value. The whole point of rebuilding is to patiently add value, not make hasty moves out of pique.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Although you all know that I am not a fan of TDA, I don't think it's fair to assume Tony did something to poison the room or anything, he was at the Sixers game last night with a bunch of the guys. I honestly think it's just a classic Torts pissing match with an underperforming player. Hope he gets traded.
I wonder if Risto went so he could experience the playoffs in some fashion. :snide:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't mind what they did or didn't say about Angelo. The whole league knows he's damaged goods, and aren't going to be doing the Flyers any favors when it comes to getting out his crappy contract, or getting back the picks they wasted on him.

Ultimately they can decide to do whatever they want with him. They can't buy him out or trade him today. They'd probably prefer the slim chance they have to trade him, so shitting all over the guy and saying they don't want him back isn't really gonna help them do that. Not gonna put much stock in anything Briere says good or bad, I'll wait and see what he actually does.

Reactions: Curufinwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad