2022/23 Roster Thread XX: Heading into the Homestretch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
A Clarke crony or getting hooked up by this firm we have no reason to trust. That's how they work. That's their process.

So the Flyers are apparently subverting the normal country club process by hiring an unaffiliated third party to vet candidates, one of which by all accounts completely defies the traditional Flyers mold, and there are still issues with that?

I can understand if you don't trust Hilferty because, well, we don't know anything about him, but it seems like you're just coming to the conclusion that you want to come to.

Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So the Flyers are apparently subverting the normal country club process by hiring an unaffiliated third party to vet candidates, one of which by all accounts completely defies the traditional Flyers mold, and there are still issues with that?

I can understand if you don't trust Hilferty because, well, we don't know anything about him, but it seems like you're just coming to the conclusion that you want to come to.
Well the last time they hired this firm, IIRC, at least two of the HC finalists were former clients of the Neil Glasberg who also happens to run the firm. The Flyers didn’t view this as a problem and hired a Glasberg client anyway in Tortorella.

So… they’re still conducting incompetent process.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don’t think Mellanby is a Clarke crony. If he was he would of been employed here a long time ago in some capacity. I didn’t pay attention to his work as a scout or whatever position he has held so I am meh on it anyway.
They have a long way to go to earn the trust of the fanbase on who they hire being the right person. I hope they prove me wrong.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It sure seems like this firm is more interested in helping their buddies more than they're interested in helping the Flyers. Why shouldn't there be an issue with that?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t think Mellanby is a Clarke crony. If he was he would of been employed here a long time ago in some capacity. I didn’t pay attention to his work as a scout or whatever position he has held so I am meh on it anyway.
They have a long way to go to earn the trust of the fanbase on who they hire being the right person. I hope they prove me wrong.

A Clarke crony? Nah, but it's annoying how often there has to be some connection. Even Doug Wilson, who briefly seemed like he might be an outsider, worked under Lombardi for several years. There isn't an original thought anywhere in this organization.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Well the last time they hired this firm, IIRC, at least two of the HC finalists were former clients of the Neil Glasberg who also happens to run the firm. The Flyers didn’t view this as a problem and hired a Glasberg client anyway in Tortorella.

Between this absolutely partial hiring firm and asking Billy King — the Peter Chiarelli of NBA GMs — to assist in the hire, I don’t know how anyone can conclude this isn’t incompetence.

Okay, so what if it’s not a Clarke crony if these are the people doing the search? It’s one extra thin layer up from rock bottom. If you’re optimistic, you’re not paying attention.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Costonguay: Another beneficiary of this firm that tells the Cronies what they want to hear to hook up their people
Wilson: Came up under Lombardi
Shero: Has known Clarke since childhood
Mellanby: Drafted by Clarke, played for him for years, brought to Florida by Clarke

That the list so far? Anyone I'm forgetting? Anyone, I hope, without clear prior connections to the advisors or a consulting firm that concluded a 2003 approach is wise in 2023 to pander to the advisors and bilk future money out of them?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Magua and Rebels57

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

It sure seems like this firm is more interested in helping their buddies more than they're interested in helping the Flyers. Why shouldn't there be an issue with that?

Sure, but it will be Hilferty and (possibly Briere's) decision. Unless Glasberg has a gun to their head, Hilferty hiring Costonguay would be a hire totally unrelated to him and the Flyer franchise, which I would have thought would be the dream for anyone bemoaning Clarke's cronyism.

If the Hurricanes were a Glasberg client, would that disqualify Tulsky?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sure, but it will be Hilferty and (possibly Briere's) decision. Unless Glasberg has a gun to their head, Hilferty hiring Costonguay would be a hire totally unrelated to him and the Flyer franchise, which I would have thought would be the dream for anyone bemoaning Clarke's cronyism.

If the Hurricanes were a Glasberg client, would that disqualify Tulsky?

Even if it were Tulsky I'd be immediately concerned that they're feeding the Cronies BS they want to hear to get him hired. Looking out for their own interest and not their client's. I'd rather not have any hires come through this firm after the suspicious coaching "search."

I'd like to say she's the least evil of the candidates, but she's got the Vancouver stain on her. It figures the one time they kinda branch out, they branch out to another bottom-management organization.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Even if it were Tulsky I'd be immediately concerned that they're feeding the Cronies BS they want to hear to get him hired. Looking out for their own interest and not their client's. I'd rather not have any hires come through this firm after the suspicious coaching "search."

I'd like to say she's the least evil of the candidates, but she's got the Vancouver stain on her. It figures the one time they kinda branch out, they branch out to another bottom-management organization.

If BS needs to be fed to the cronies to allow someone to get hired (Which I don't even buy), wouldn't you want them to be fed BS to rubberstamp an otherwise non-crony, progressive, qualified hire?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

She has no qualifications whatsoever and is currently being sued for a human rights violation. She's at the very bottom of my ranking.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If BS needs to be fed to the cronies to allow someone to get hired (Which I don't even buy), wouldn't you want them to be fed BS to rubberstamp an otherwise non-crony, progressive, qualified hire?

We sure she's progressive and qualified? Vancouver.

And the last person they supplied was the coprolite Tortorella.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’d have a scrap of hope if Briere wasn’t being named GM without even a hint of consideration of other names. It’s just next up in the incest line. If he’s so chummy chummy with Comcast, knows the business side of the team well, and has his own overarching vision, maybe he’d even be a suitable President. He’d have some roster say, but they’d look for a shrewder hand in the weeds of roster building and unearthing competitive edges.

As it is, they’re using suspect resources to hire either a whatever PR person, so Briere has no real help besides whatever the f*** our analytics department is, and likely a holdover immovable Brent Flahr……..or a mediocre retread HockeyGuy who knows the ins and outs of bad trades and brunch at resort & spa NHL manager meetings. The processes stink to high heaven.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
We sure she's progressive and qualified? Vancouver.

And the last person they supplied was the coprolite Tortorella.

Progressive in that she's a young, non-hockey player, Flyer unaffiliated candidate? Yes

I'd say she's no less qualified than other successful Hockey Op Presidents we've seen league-wide.

And she's a different human being than Tortorella, so I'm sure we as fans are able to independently vet the two.

I don't even want her based off the worrying "we want the PoHO to be a marketing tool" mindset, but on the surface she seems like an ideal candidate that should be a welcome break from anyone worried about hiring Clarke-connected candidates.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Progressive in that she's a young, non-hockey player, Flyer unaffiliated candidate? Yes

I'd say she's no less qualified than other successful Hockey Op Presidents we've seen league-wide.

And she's a different human being than Tortorella, so I'm sure we as fans are able to independently vet the two.

I don't even want her based off the worrying "we want the PoHO to be a marketing tool" mindset, but on the surface she seems like an ideal candidate that should be a welcome break from anyone worried about hiring Clarke-connected candidates.

She's currently at Vancouver, so she isn't being successful. And as I've said, she ends up not being ideal because I have issue with this stupid firm.

Edit: As you mentioned though, the nature of the position as they've described it isn't great. If she's hired, and she is just more of the usual same Flyers stuff, then they'll let her provide real input. If she's actually different and modern-thinking about the game, then it'll be "shut up and tell the story."

Reactions: Redpath

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The reality is that Hilferty, Camillo, Tortorella and Briere are fixtures in the FO. Whoever gets hired as Pres is going to have to be able to work with them. This is the FO team. We’ll have to see how successful they can be. They will be what their record says that they are. If they rebuild and grow, they’ll be kept around. If not, like Fletcher this year, they’ll be out with the evening trash. What the fans currently think of this new group matters very little. Railing for or against specific individuals does nothing. It’s Comcast’s call.

Reactions: dats81 and TCTC

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As it is, they’re using suspect resources to hire either a whatever PR person, so Briere has no real help besides whatever the f*** our analytics department is, and likely a holdover immovable Brent Flahr……..or a mediocre retread HockeyGuy who knows the ins and outs of bad trades and brunch at resort & spa NHL manager meetings. The processes stink to high heaven.
You forgot Tortorella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad