2022/23 Roster Thread XX: Heading into the Homestretch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
They can’t. It would look pathetic the asset loss on display. They would have to retain, and get so little back.

This organization is run in an incredibly political way, with optics at the forefront.

He’s a Flyer until the deadline next season at least. I do think the lack of overall talent hurts what TDA could bring on offence.

New GM, new President, new Chairman. I doubt a new regime cares about the optics of covering for Chuck Fletcher's mistakes. If anything, moving on from TDA shows they are moving in the correct direction.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I think the question is whether it really is a new regime. Only time will tell. Or Deady.

I don't buy this.

Maybe Hilferty, Briere, and the new President end up being Fletcher/Scott-tier idiots too, but it is still a new regime. They're going to want to make their own mark this summer. There are already rumors that Briere is looking to be active.

All this to say that we aren't simply going to keep TDA on the basis of it being bad optics to dump him so quickly.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I don't buy this.

Maybe Hilferty, Briere, and the new President end up being Fletcher/Scott-tier idiots too, but it is still a new regime. They're going to want to make their own mark this summer. There are already rumors that Briere is looking to be active.

All this to say that we aren't simply going to keep TDA on the basis of it being bad optics to dump him so quickly.

Hey, I hope you're right. I'm nowhere near convinced, though. They have a very long way to go to win back my trust.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
New GM, new President, new Chairman. I doubt a new regime cares about the optics of covering for Chuck Fletcher's mistakes. If anything, moving on from TDA shows they are moving in the correct direction.

Team is flooded with the old regime, which includes Briere, features a CEO who gushes praise for the old regime, and have talked about the president position like they're just a cheerleader. Flahr still exists for no reason, they're further empowering a grotesque Tortorella. I just don't see any reason for optimism on this front. For all we know Briere pushed for getting TDA. We know Deslauriers was his doing, so that mistake isn't going anywhere.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I actually don't disagree. But that wasn't the point. The point was how laughable this management team has been in lowering their own assets value, while paying top dollar for other people's trash. They paid to get rid of Ghost, paid to rent Risto, paid for TDA (Ghost, supposedly) and now may possibly be thinking about paying to get rid of the "same" guy again?
Everyone on this board knows you're smarter than that.
That's what happens when you lack a coherent strategy.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Team is flooded with the old regime, which includes Briere, features a CEO who gushes praise for the old regime, and have talked about the president position like they're just a cheerleader. Flahr still exists for no reason, they're further empowering a grotesque Tortorella. I just don't see any reason for optimism on this front. For all we know Briere pushed for getting TDA. We know Deslauriers was his doing, so that mistake isn't going anywhere.

We'll see. I'm going to withhold judgement on Briere until we actually see what he does as the guy in charge. And Hilferty merely praising the advisors does not make him a part of the old regime.

If we are going to bash Hilerty for praising the advisors, are we going to give Briere (The guy who would actually be directly empowering them in hockey ops) credit for avoiding answering when he was asked if they'd be back?

If Tortorella is being further empowered, doesn't that doom TDA given the latest scratchings?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We'll see. I'm going to withhold judgement on Briere until we actually see what he does as the guy in charge. And Hilferty merely praising the advisors does not make him a part of the old regime.

If we are going to bash Hilerty for praising the advisors, are we going to give Briere (The guy who would actually be directly empowering them in hockey ops) credit for avoiding answering when he was asked if they'd be back?

If Tortorella is being further empowered, doesn't that doom TDA given the latest scratchings?
One thing Torts does is give players multiple opportunities to win his trust. Which is why getting benched by him isn't the "kiss of death" it is for many HCs.

I think any decision on TDA will be a "meeting of minds" with Torts and Briere, if Torts really doesn't want him back, he's gone, but given the cost of dumping him, if Torts thinks he can still turn him around TDA makes it to TC.

There is zero reason for Hilferty/Briere/Torts to give a shit about optics, blame everything on your predecessor(s) [more implied than explicit in most cases] and do what you think is best going forward. Once you publicly commit to a rebuild, you have more latitude and a wider range of options.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One thing Torts does is give players multiple opportunities to win his trust. Which is why getting benched by him isn't the "kiss of death" it is for many HCs.

I think any decision on TDA will be a "meeting of minds" with Torts and Briere, if Torts really doesn't want him back, he's gone, but given the cost of dumping him, if Torts thinks he can still turn him around TDA makes it to TC.

There is zero reason for Hilferty/Briere/Torts to give a shit about optics, blame everything on your predecessor(s) [more implied than explicit in most cases] and do what you think is best going forward. Once you publicly commit to a rebuild, you have more latitude and a wider range of options.

He didn't give Frost multiple opportunities. He slagged him publicly front the start for having the audacity to play a skilled offensive game, fabricating complaints about his defense, before having to be ordered from above to give him the opportunity. One wonders if York needed the same input on his behalf.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The first step in resolving a problem is admitting that there is a problem. From what I've seen out of TDA, he doesn't recognize what his problems are, so I don't have any hope that things will improve between Tortorella and him. If I were Briere, TDA would be quickly deposited into the all gone machine. TC needs to begin with a clean slate. No need to have any potentially negative carry overs from this season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not a lot of specifics out of Briere today, but I'm hoping my fellow '77 can turn things around.

Currently talking up Kevin Hayes as a 6'5" centerman who lots of teams would love to have. :skeptic: Charlie asked about Torts playing him on the LW, and Briere said he still views him as a center.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The first step in resolving a problem is admitting that there is a problem. From what I've seen out of TDA, he doesn't recognize what his problems are, so I don't have any hope that things will improve between Tortorella and him. If I were Briere, TDA would be quickly deposited into the all gone machine. TC needs to begin with a clean slate. No need to have any potentially negative carry overs from this season.
Comes down to resources and priorities.
You can buy TDA out, but that means dead money two years from now.
You can roll with him while you evaluate and develop your young D-men, and maybe flip him at the TDL.
Right now they're really thin at RHD:
York (if he stays there), Risto, TDA, Attard.
Samson will be in the AHL next year, but figure he needs at least one AHL season if not more.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Not a lot of specifics out of Briere today, but I'm hoping my fellow '77 can turn things around.

Currently talking up Kevin Hayes as a 6'5" centerman who lots of teams would love to have. :skeptic: Charlie asked about Torts playing him on the LW, and Briere said he still views him as a center.

Listening as well - thought that means he's as good as gone tbh

Reactions: BiggE and Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Briere is still not sure if they will get the JOB comp pick this year or next.

GMDB refused to go in to what happened between Torts and Angelo. "Definitely not a fun situation for him the way things ended".

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Best reason to go BPA, things change quickly.

Last summer, Hayes was your 1C b/c Couts was a ???, Laughton had struggled at center, Frost was unknown, Cates was a LW, Desnoyers was a question whether he'd stay at center. So they draft Gauthier.

Flash forward to 2023-23, Couts so far so good, Frost has emerged as a potential 2C, Cates is a Selke candidate at 3C, Desnoyers is coming off a 23 goal AHL campaign at center as a two way player. Gauthier held up at center as a college freshman and will play another year there before joining the Flyers in April. They could still use depth but it's not as urgent as a year ago.

Now the two holes are LW and RHD. LHD and RW are a bit crowded going forward.
But if you draft a center, Cates or Desnoyers could move to LW.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Not sure if this is an exact quote, but if it is, this all but confirms that something did "happen," we just don't know what.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t get how something happened, yet they’re making it known they don’t want to move him. Not like people gonna be banging down the door.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Here's a link to Briere's press conference today. Not posting Torts or Tony, as I hate those assholes.

I really wanna know what happened with TDA and the team lol
You saw MoneyBall right? Tony was dancing on a table after a loss, so he's getting the Jason Giambi treatment...

Seriously, you have one of the biggest a-holes in NHL history on your team, he's going to do something stupid. Comes with the territory. Ditch him, asap.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

"Briere and Tortorella are of one mind"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad