2022/23 Roster Thread XX: Heading into the Homestretch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

I can’t listen right now but anybody else wants to they do a rundown on all the teams that missed the playoffs & what their offseason outlook is. The Flyers are at the 34:00 mark.

I fired this up just for the Flyers segment. Not any real detail other than a DeAngelo bit. They don't want to trade him. They "want him to compose himself differently."

I'm not touching that. :laugh:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Remember his first season when many saw this "promise" that he could grow into a legit#1 dman. Remember he was using a shorter stick that session, and the flyers braintrust insisted on him changing to a longer stick after that. I don't think his puck skills have ever been as good as that first season.

This is a false memory because Provorov's stick grew shorter over the years. It certainly was not shorter his rookie season, when he looked like he was cosplaying as Gandalf.

He's always been awful going to his backhand, stickhandling 1v1, stickhandling in tight spaces. None of that is aided by a longer stick. But I've seen players with long sticks still do these things better than him, so at a certain point, especially going with more reasonable length sticks, it's a skill deficiency.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Always need to be wary of the prospects who hit physical maturity earlier than their peers.

Provorov was physically mature in junior. It’s an advantage at the time compared to others his age, but you have to take that into consideration.

Others will catch up & perhaps keep improving, whereas those who hit puberty early may have already hit their peaks & plateau.
For this reason I would avoid Colby Barlow in this year’s draft. He’s definitely fully grown. He plays like a man among boys. What happens to his edge when the rest of the boys become men?

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
A random thought on provorov

Remember his first season when many saw this "promise" that he could grow into a legit#1 dman. Remember he was using a shorter stick that session, and the flyers braintrust insisted on him changing to a longer stick after that. I don't think his puck skills have ever been as good as that first season.

I could be remembering wrong, or maybe just another prime example of the team's back asswards approach to development.
As Magua already pointed out, you got the story backwards. Provorov had an absurdly long stick when he started in the NHL, something I think he also did in Juniors. The Flyers were the ones that told him to switch to a shorter stick, which he did either his second or third season on the team (I don't remember which).

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I fired this up just for the Flyers segment. Not any real detail other than a DeAngelo bit. They don't want to trade him. They "want him to compose himself differently."

They probably know he has very little in trade value. He is decent with the puck on his stick. That’s it. He sucks defensively, he sucks away from the puck. Dude is a black hole and is a shitty person as well.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A random thought on provorov

I could be remembering wrong, or maybe just another prime example of the team's back asswards approach to development.

That's exactly what happened. But more than that, their play style and what they value out of dmen just squandered what he was good at.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a false memory because Provorov's stick grew shorter over the years. It certainly was not shorter his rookie season, when he looked like he was cosplaying as Gandalf.

He's always been awful going to his backhand, stickhandling 1v1, stickhandling in tight spaces. None of that is aided by a longer stick. But I've seen players with long sticks still do these things better than him, so at a certain point, especially going with more reasonable length sticks, it's a skill deficiency.

Well, never mind then. That wasnt exactly what happened

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
1681681868307.png

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Go back and watch his highlights when he was with the Wheat Kings. Most people listed him as can't miss and best defenseman in the draft.

He was incredible for his age, so the flyers played him young and often. he was putting up huge minutes when if the flyers actually had a decent defense he could have developed without so much pressure.
Incredible is a stretch. Not sure if starting out too young is the main issue with Provorov when his last three seasons are his worst three.

Werenski also started at age 19, and Hanafin went straight to the NHL at 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Therien took another little dig at Charlie for putting out there that York was his choice for the Ashbee. He said something like “I guess there’s some type of analytic out there that suggests that but I’m not seeing that”.

ASF voted for Provorov. Essentially minutes/role as justification.

He had 20 points in only 54 games compared to 27 in 82 for Provorov. Does Therien not even look at stats that basic?

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021

Guess my memory was exactly backwards. I still remember them forcing him to change stick lengths. At least I didn't imagine that.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This tells me that 2 things:

-Briere already doesn’t believe he can trade him and gain value.
-Someone in Voorhees remains personally invested in his success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad