2022/23 Roster Thread XX: Heading into the Homestretch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Sounds like Provy is gone for a mid to late 1st.
The organization did everything with this guy to boost his play and puff up his reputation over his time here in order to make him look like a top pairing guy. Really all that they had to do in order to get what they wanted out of him was in 2015, was to draft the next guy taken in the first round instead. Werenski.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Yeah that’s more of what I was getting out. I’m guessing Friedman was more so weighing what he was hearing from Provorov’s camp where they 100% want(ed) out. As where ASF was weighing what he was hearing from the Flyers more so. Where I’d imagine there was still some who perhaps wanted to see if they could repair the relationship.

For sure. He obviously doesn’t want to play in Philadelphia anymore. Locker room doesn’t like him. Bigots generally aren’t popular dudes to begin with lol. But yeah, I have no desire to see him play another game in Philadelphia. He can f*** off somewhere else. I used to really like watching this player too. Which makes this all the more disappointing.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
ASF Pretty much guarantees that provorov is not gonna be a flyer next season

"both the team and the player want to move on from eachother"

I do chuckle on how there have been more leaks about how bad Provorov is to play with, etc.

I can easily see him having been fed up at some point over the last few years, and calling out this shithole.

Flyer leaks often paint things in a very pro organization, anti player view when said player dares to question how things are run.

I hope others can see this trend. The team is the master at helping to crater a player’s trade value. I’ll laugh if he stabilizes on a better team, which with better usage I think he does.

The media has been crying about him giving them a bit of attitude since last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov doesn't play that many minutes if you take him off the PP where he doesn't belong.
2020-21: 19:44 ES, 2:52 PK - 22:36
2021-22: 19:59, ES, 2:40 PK - 22:39
2022-23: 19:31 ES, 2:42 PK - 22:13

Bigger issue is he's very durable, if you trade him, you want to go 7-8 deep to compensate, which means you hold on to Seeler until players like Zamula, Andrae, Attard and Ginning show they're NHL ready.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I do chuckle on how there have been more leaks about how bad Provorov is to play with

He genuinely is an asshat. I speak with a few people close to the team from time to time and they all say that Provorov is a douche. People from hockey ops, trainers, business side, etc. It’s not some conspiracy theory that he’s an asshole. He is.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
He genuinely is an asshat. I speak with a few people close to the team from time to time and they all say that Provorov is a douche. People from hockey ops, trainers, business side, etc. It’s not some conspiracy theory that he’s an asshole. He is.

I’m sure he is, but I am also of the opinion that this team or those who choose to leak things - are petty AF.

I have no doubt he’s wanted out for a while, and made it clear he’s not happy. I do think it’s time to move on, and I don’t blame him for wanting to get out. Hakstol, Vigneault, and Torts.

Hextall, and Fletcher.

For my own amusement, I do hope he sees a nice uptick in his overall play elsewhere. Just another FU to a team that thinks they do no wrong.

Being such a good soldier for the org with my gripe with Giroux.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov will have an uptick if he gets the right partner, heck, he's had an uptick being paired with York.
But York has already shown he's the better player, EVERYONE has an uptick paired with York, even with York playing his off side as a NHL rookie.

My issue with York is I don't think he's physically ready to handle 82 games at 22-23 minutes a night quite yet, maybe in a couple years when he physically matures. Don't want to run him into the ground. That means you need to play your 5th D-man a fair amount of minutes.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I’m sure he is, but I am also of the opinion that this team or those who choose to leak things - are petty AF.

They definitely do. Even now though, the leaks aren’t savage in regards to him compared to other players. They still are tame (these character leaks of Provorov). He’s still viewed (by MANY) as the golden boy. Which is wild to me. Golden boys don’t need partners who are better than them to play well themselves…

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
They definitely do. Even now though, the leaks aren’t savage in regards to him compared to other players. They still are tame (these character leaks of Provorov). He’s still viewed (by MANY) as the golden boy. Which is wild to me. Golden boys don’t need partners who are better than them to play well themselves…

There is a viewpoint of the team that I think he’s a #1 with the right partner.

He’s not. He’s a second pairing guy.

The Flyers love to overrate secondary players to what they are simply not. He’s stagnated or regressed during his time with the Flyers.

I do think it’s interesting that out of a once heralded future defence core there will basically be only Sanheim left. That imo should be what’s talked about, but the organization will more than happily choose to leak more about how bad of a teammate he was.

It’s just a little funny to me.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
As stated above, what is needed now days in defensemen is not what it was twenty years ago. In 2000 teams looked for size and strength-ex. Luke Schenn types. Now it's skill and speed. Passing ability matters, both making and receiving, as much or more than being able to carry the puck. Gretzky said it years ago: No one can outskate the puck. This has led to the Flyers defense becoming as poor as it is. They're looking for Hatchers in an age where Timonens are required.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
So I’m a little embarrassed to ask after years of being into hockey, but is a number 2 defenseman the leader of the second pair? Or a partner to the first? Is it like 1-3 and 2-4 together or 1-2 and 3-4 together?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So I’m a little embarrassed to ask after years of being into hockey, but is a number 2 defenseman the leader of the second pair? Or a partner to the first? Is it like 1-3 and 2-4 together or 1-2 and 3-4 together?

1 3 5 and five are your pair leaders, typically. Provorov has been ok in the past as a #2 when his partner made the decisions and dictated play, e.g. with Ghost and then Provorov.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
As stated above, what is needed now days in defensemen is not what it was twenty years ago. In 2000 teams looked for size and strength-ex. Luke Schenn types. Now it's skill and speed. Passing ability matters, both making and receiving, as much or more than being able to carry the puck. Gretzky said it years ago: No one can outstate the puck. This has led to the Flyers defense becoming as poor as it is. They're looking for Hatchers in an age where Timonens are required.
That’s why they drafted York. And Andrae.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, sitting in the building, I wanted Pastrnak because I had him top 10. Think I took DeBrincat 1st round in the mock draft too.

I found it humorous that anybody voted for Provorov given how long people have been trashing him and saying out loud that the team doesn’t think he’s that good.

Same guys didn’t have a problem voting Meszaros as best defenseman despite being a third pair guy for a large part of the season and everyone knowing that.

They just did what they thought they were supposed to do.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Therien took another little dig at Charlie for putting out there that York was his choice for the Ashbee. He said something like “I guess there’s some type of analytic out there that suggests that but I’m not seeing that”.

ASF voted for Provorov. Essentially minutes/role as justification.
They’re all just so f***ing stupid.

Truly worthless human beings.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Therien took another little dig at Charlie for putting out there that York was his choice for the Ashbee. He said something like “I guess there’s some type of analytic out there that suggests that but I’m not seeing that”.

ASF voted for Provorov. Essentially minutes/role as justification.

He seemed generally annoyed Charlie put his whole ballot out for everybody to see on twitter in the first place.

KINGKENZO

Nov 13, 2018
It’s weird because Friedman has been consistently saying that for months now. But until this episode ASF has essentially been saying it’s a toss up if Provorov goes or not.
Could be a situation that, even though indications were that it could happen, he wasnt 100% saying as much until Fletcher was officially out

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think the problem with Provorov was development, scouts got fooled by his great conditioning, not realizing it also meant limited upside b/c he already had a NHL body and wasn't going to be developed physically.

Mentally, I think his biggest problem is he's fairly good at everything but not very good at anything. Which is why he plays a lot of minutes, he's passable in every role (even the PP), just doesn't stand out in any role. So his upside is probably a #2 paired with a #1 RHD, second pair if he's asked to do too much.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Could be a situation that, even though indications were that it could happen, he wasnt 100% saying as much until Fletcher was officially out

He said in the previous episode he thought either one of Provorov or Sanheim would be traded this summer. Up until this recent episode he’s essentially been messaging things like it’s a toss up as to whether Provorov is moved.

I’m not saying he’s making things but rather I’m guessing he was getting mixed feelings from his sources within the organization.

Both Friedman & ASF started out initially on the initial blow up that Provorov would be traded but ASF seemingly wained on it in recent months until now as to where Friedman maintained it the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad