2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Having Torts is just odd. In a lot of scenarios, I view the game and the fine details in the same way as him - I love and like to teach NZ/DZ play where you don't give an inch. Love hearing about accountability, teamwork, and discipline, in an organization where there is none - love that too. I like that he explicitly talks about the sad state that this team is in - last night he compared us to NJD a few years ago, love to hear that because it's true. We are YEARS away.

But then he keeps talking, and I just can't with this guy. I follow pretty much every press conference, he'll say a few things I really like and genuinely agree with - and then you see pregame notes and he does something bizarre, is inconsistent with the scratches/lineup, throws a temper tantrum after the game, and you are left being like - "but you said this 2 nights ago"? It's like he almost loses his way or gets bored and tries to over manage. I literally don't find any consistency in his management style because of his lineup decisions - are the scratches based on merit? They can't be.

In terms of a soccer comparison - Torts would be a manager who they bring in mid-season to avoid relegation because he cleans up a lot of the easy mistakes/faults in NZ/ aka low hanging fruit - Torts is not the guy in today's game who is going to get you in the upper tier of a title race.

Special thanks to everyone who has really helped me better understand the advanced stats metrics/analytics - I have asked one question to myself all year "are they harder to play against than last year?" - I actually think they are, but - it doesn't mean ANYTHING because the small jump in play has gotten them in no-mans-land, and out of the Bedard sweepstakes.

They have the wrong GM (duh) and coach in place.

Torts the idea is just way better than Torts the reality - and again, I love a lot of his principles and core values, I genuinely mean that.
Nah, watching the Flyers, everything Torts does is with next season in mind, he's just mixing and matching and evaluating players, he essentially said this season was a lost cause back in November.

Now he's not going to come out and say that the team sucks, but it's pretty obvious - and he's probably happy to both get a better draft pick and put the last nail in Chuck's coffin. You know when he hears Chuck say they're only 6 points out of a playoff spot he's gritting his teeth.

Tort's one priority is that his young players don't get discouraged and use this season as a chance to learn and develop - but it's tough when they're overmatched against any top ten team, they just lack the skill and depth to hand with Edmonton or Jersey for 3 periods.

Watching Desnoyers, who was hot as a pistol before he got called up, may need a couple seasons to get stronger and hang with the big boys, but he can skate, has some offensive skills and knows how to play 200 feet. Lycksell is more iffy to me, flashes at times but disappears a lot and makes too many mistakes. but this season is about making mistakes and hopefully learning from them.

Reactions: tucson83

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nah, watching the Flyers, everything Torts does is with next season in mind, he's just mixing and matching and evaluating players, he said this season was a lost cause back in November.

Now he's not going to come out and say that, but it's pretty obvious - and he's probably happy to both get a better draft pick and put the last nail in Chuck's coffin. You know when he hears Chuck say they're only 6 points out of a playoff spot he's gritting his teeth.

Tort's one priority is that his young players don't get discouraged and use this season as a chance to learn and develop - but it's tough when they're overmatched against any top ten team, they just lack the skill and depth to hand with Edmonton or Jersey for 3 periods.

Watching Desnoyers, who was hot as a pistol before he got called up, may need a couple seasons to get stronger and hang with the big boys, but he can skate, has some offensive skills and knows how to play 200 feet. Lycksell is more iffy to me, flashes at times but disappears a lot and makes too many mistakes. but this season is about making mistakes and hopefully learning from them.

That's absolutely not true. Good lord. I don't know how you dream this stuff up.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Nah, watching the Flyers, everything Torts does is with next season in mind, he's just mixing and matching and evaluating players, he essentially said this season was a lost cause back in November.

Now he's not going to come out and say that the team sucks, but it's pretty obvious - and he's probably happy to both get a better draft pick and put the last nail in Chuck's coffin. You know when he hears Chuck say they're only 6 points out of a playoff spot he's gritting his teeth.

Utter bullshit.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
lol next season..if we were so invested in next season we would be shittier than we already are

nacc BLOCC

Apr 16, 2019
Mine is way too f***ing high. Over the mantle in our new house, it's probably 5.5' off the ground. Meanwhile the coach we ended up with is like a waiting room couch, back is super low. It's f***ed up. There's no way for me to comfortably sit and watch the TV. Wife thinks I am insane for wanting to "waste money" replacing the couch with a reclining one already, but I think I'll waste much more money getting neck surgery if this isn't resolved.

Other solution is to bring the TV down off the wall, get another piece of furniture to host it and a large piece of art to fill the over-the-mantle space and then rearrange the room. But the couch still blows.

First house, first rodeo.

Some 6” risers under the TV facing feet of the couch to cock that bid back, glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. Dang space shuttle TV room. Me and the fellas can bang it out bout two-tree hours.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The Great Television Debate reminded me of house hunting many MANY years ago. In one house we visited, the owners had put a TV on a shelf in a room off the family room and cut a square hole in the fake-wood panelling to see the TV from the family room. The kicker was that the cutter obviously hadn't measured because the square had very non-square angles.

We did not buy that house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad