2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s amazing how much of a shit hole this franchise is in. JVR will most likely be moved and recoup the 2nd rounder we traded for that asshole TDA.

Other than JVR, who are they going to even consider. Konency is the only other player who probably has value. Provorov too but he’s more an off-season move I would figure with his publicity and bullshit this year.

Any chance Kevin Hayes gets traded if we retain 16% to bring his cap down to $6M? Almost surely we would get nothing in return.

They are up shits creek without even a f***ing boat right now. Franchise is probably at least 3/4 years from even being competitive for a playoff opportunity. It’s horrific the state of this team and their future.

Seeler and Laughton would also have value for a playoff team..but Fletchy can't move two of his gorilla glue guys..if he did this entire ship would fall apart just as it's about to take off into orbit.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
The biggest question is how Patrick Brown manages to play every day. Sure, he hits, but he is part of the worst producing line in hockey. Not to mention, they’re a forechecking line meant to spend time in the OZ wearing down Dmen, but they’re grading out to a Corsi split of -22. Not to mention their shot differentials are horrid and their heat maps are gross. Guys, this is worse than most AHL lines.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
It’s amazing how much of a shit hole this franchise is in. JVR will most likely be moved and recoup the 2nd rounder we traded for that asshole TDA.

Other than JVR, who are they going to even consider. Konency is the only other player who probably has value. Provorov too but he’s more an off-season move I would figure with his publicity and bullshit this year.

Any chance Kevin Hayes gets traded if we retain 16% to bring his cap down to $6M? Almost surely we would get nothing in return.

They are up shits creek without even a f***ing boat right now. Franchise is probably at least 3/4 years from even being competitive for a playoff opportunity. It’s horrific the state of this team and their future.
10 years away from being 10 years away..

be a f***ing Flyer.... hahahaaa

Modern Offensively-minded Coach Torts

the key to a successful PP is to shot block..

oh wait...🙄

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Charlie O: (paraphrasing)

“It’s not that ownership doesn’t care, but there is an another reason why this organization is in a state of stagnation.

There is a fear from ownership that cleaning house will lead to a backlash they tasted a few years ago when they got heat for not respecting the Flyers DNA/history, that they were just corporate shills.

They hope that the people coming into the office every day, and saying they know what they are doing - are right, because they fear the negative reaction from cleaning house”

I feel we all knew this anyway as it’s pretty clear this is an ownership issue.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

“It’s not that ownership doesn’t care, but there is an another reason why this organization is in a state of stagnation.

There is a fear from ownership that cleaning house will lead to a backlash they tasted a few years ago when they got heat for not respecting the Flyers DNA/history, that they were just corporate shills.

They hope that the people coming into the office every day, and saying they know what they are doing - are right, because they fear the negative reaction from cleaning house”

lol! never change Philly...

hahaa..

hey maybe 70s hockey will come back around like fashion does... 🤣

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
lol! never change Philly...

hahaa..

hey maybe 70s hockey will come back around like fashion does... 🤣

It was clear with what’s gone on the last few years.

Catering to a segment of the fanbase they have chosen to align themselves with.

I like to think at the end of the day I’m somewhat of an optimist, but reality just prevents that. There isn’t hope here until they clean house. This is just a waste of time. Again, as Charlie O said - what’s the peak here? 2010’s Columbus?

From an entertainment point of view I’m tired of watching horseshit obsessions with defensive, slow it down hockey. From seeing true dynamic young stars constantly introduced into the league - and being sold on Sean Couturier or Travis Konecny.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

What fans gave them heat for not respecting the Flyers DNA/History other than the boomers stuck in the glory days of the 70's? Are they trying to cater to the 60+ crowd while completely alienating most fans under 40? The majority of the heat that I saw came from the alumni in the organization that were worried that they were "losing their voice" in decision making. The same ones now that are running this franchise into the ground. You know what would make the fanbase happy? Having someone in charge with a clear direction on how to turn this team into a perennial contender.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
What fans gave them heat for not respecting the Flyers DNA/History other than the boomers stuck in the glory days of the 70's? Are they trying to cater to the 60+ crowd while completely alienating most fans under 40? The majority of that heat that I saw came from the alumni in the organization that were worried that they were "losing their voice" in decision making. The same ones now that are running this franchise into the ground. You know what would make the fanbase happy? Having someone in charge with a clear direction on how to turn this team into a perennial contender.

I’m going to assume here, and I don’t think I’m wrong. That the loudest complainers were season ticket holders who yes - are part of that old school Flyer DNA crowd.

Do I think they believe they can keep that group around, while attracting the younger portion of Fans/families with gimmicks or promotional things? Yeah I do.

This is an ownership thing no matter how you slice it. Hockey ops has zero oversight, and ownership has chosen a way to run this team that cements ongoing loyalty from a crowd that probably does make up a decent chunk of this fanbase.

This isn’t a team for younger fans of the sport, or people who have evolved with it. . Not by any means. I’d bet my life savings that the FO laughs at what the NHL has become, and arrogantly sneers at the current state of the game today.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What fans gave them heat for not respecting the Flyers DNA/History other than the boomers stuck in the glory days of the 70's? Are they trying to cater to the 60+ crowd while completely alienating most fans under 40? The majority of that heat that I saw came from the alumni in the organization that were worried that they were "losing their voice" in decision making. The same ones now that are running this franchise into the ground. You know what would make the fanbase happy? Having someone in charge with a clear direction on how to turn this team into a perennial contender.
The ones with the money, aka "the boomers stuck in the glory days of the 70's." The younger generations either don't have the cash to afford tickets or the Flyers aren't captivating enough to get their dollar in the first place as their generation values other things.

Sports in general are going to be in a world of hurt once the older generations die off when it comes to STH numbers and things like that. That's not simply a Flyers issue but that's a whole different issue.

A large portion of this fanbase views Comcast as the "enemy" and spouts off things like "Under Ed Snider these things would have never happened" which is just complete and utter bullshit most of the time. Ed Snider was a businessman first and foremost. He would do all of these 21st century business moves. Comcast has also owned the organization a lot longer than these people realize.

Then you have the part of the fanbase that just wants to be angry at something all of the time. Case in point that the Flyers didn't post a tweet or celebrate Ed Snider's birthday a couple of years ago. They take that as Comcast is trying to whitewash the "Flyers."

It's all a bunch of performative bullshit. These people don't know what they want. You have heard for years about how people are tired of the organization trotting out these old men and celebrating something that happened fifty years ago and yet when they cut back on that they get mad about it.

The sooner people wake up and realize that their heroes of the 70's that went into management are the cause for the organization's current state the sooner they can turn the corner as an organization. I won't hold my breath though.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m going to assume here, and I don’t think I’m wrong. That the loudest complainers were season ticket holders who yes - are part of that old school Flyer DNA crowd.

Do I think they believe they can keep that group around, while attracting the younger portion of Fans/families with gimmicks or promotional things? Yeah I do.

This is an ownership thing no matter how you slice it. Hockey ops has zero oversight, and ownership has chosen a way to run this team that cements ongoing loyalty from a crowd that probably does make up a decent chunk of this fanbase.

This isn’t a team for younger fans of the sport, or people who have evolved with it. . Not by any means. I’d bet my life savings that the FO laughs at what the NHL has become, and arrogantly sneers at the current state of the game today.

Their decisions seem to indicate this is correct.

Meanwhile, the largest percentage of their fanbase actually lies in the middle and most of us are furious.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Their decisions seem to indicate this is correct.

Meanwhile, the largest percentage of their fanbase actually lies in the middle and most of us are furious.

My own personal distaste for corporations is going to come into play here. That’s all this is.

I was never the biggest Snider fan, hell he’s the primary cause for the incestous relationships we see in this organization. However, there is no way in hell Fletcher at the very least would be employed today. All of the other departments I bitch about would likely see little turnover, but the GM role - yeah it does matter.

Snider had faults, and I’m not hailing him as the king that would lead us back to the promise land. He would however care a bit more. I do believe that. Even if we were to continue down this BS antiquated path of how an NHL team is built, Fletcher has failed miserably with that approach too.

Comcast doesn’t give a rats ass about the success of this team. If they can keep the old school crowd happy with a return to Flyer culture, if they can keep the FO happy, and have a younger crowd show up with marketing ploys…

f*** ‘em.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The ones with the money, aka "the boomers stuck in the glory days of the 70's." The younger generations either don't have the cash to afford tickets or the Flyers aren't captivating enough to get their dollar in the first place as their generation values other things.

Sports in general are going to be in a world of hurt once the older generations die off when it comes to STH numbers and things like that. That's not simply a Flyers issue but that's a whole different issue.

A large portion of this fanbase views Comcast as the "enemy" and spouts off things like "Under Ed Snider these things would have never happened" which is just complete and utter bullshit most of the time. Ed Snider was a businessman first and foremost. He would do all of these 21st century business moves. Comcast has also owned the organization a lot longer than these people realize.

Then you have the part of the fanbase that just wants to be angry at something all of the time. Case in point that the Flyers didn't post a tweet or celebrate Ed Snider's birthday a couple of years ago. They take that as Comcast is trying to whitewash the "Flyers."

It's all a bunch of performative bullshit. These people don't know what they want. You have heard for years about how people are tired of the organization trotting out these old men and celebrating something that happened fifty years ago and yet when they cut back on that they get mad about it.

The sooner people wake up and realize that their heroes of the 70's that went into management are the cause for the organization's current state the sooner they can turn the corner as an organization. I won't hold my breath though.
There is one difference though to Snider being here vs he’s not: Snider actually gave a damn about the team, knew who the players were and wanted to win. Do you honestly think Brian Roberts could name 3 current Flyers?

The rot is at every level of this organization:

Corporate ownership that only cares about the stadium revenue and marketing their brand

A completely clueless GM surrounded by out of touch dinosaurs who should have retired over a decade ago

A coach with a limited grasp, at best, of how to best play hockey at the NHL level in 2023.

A roster woefully lacking high end talent and overall speed.

A medical/training staff that seems to fail miserably at every aspect of their job.

Even if someone bought this team tomorrow, fired everyone, brought in modern thinking, competent hockey people and hired a smart, young coach, this team would be a minimum of 4-5 years away from Cup contention. Sadly though, the team is not getting sold. They will continue to vacillate between mediocre and bad year after year, with no end in sight.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There is one difference though to Snider being here vs he’s not: Snider actually gave a damn about the team, knew who the players were and wanted to win. Do you honestly think Brian Roberts could name 3 current Flyers?

The rot is at every level of this organization:

Corporate ownership that only cares about the stadium revenue and marketing their brand

A completely clueless GM surrounded by out of touch dinosaurs who should have retired over a decade ago

A coach with a limited grasp, at best, of how to best play hockey at the NHL level in 2023.

A roster woefully lacking high end talent and overall speed.

A medical/training staff that seems to fail miserably at every aspect of their job.

Even if someone bought this team tomorrow, fired everyone, brought in modern thinking, competent hockey people and hired a smart, young coach, this team would be a minimum of 4-5 years away from Cup contention. Sadly though, the team is not getting sold. They will continue to vacillate between mediocre and bad year after year, with no end in sight.
Just for clarity sake, I make that Snider comment strictly from having to hear from STH’s that complain about things constantly and less so from the roster building and actual team.

Ed Snider definitely would not stand for the on ice product we’re seeing currently. Ed Snider definitely would stand for making money off of Gritty or increased ticket prices.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Possibility of snider Jr in there but the 70s crowd was really competent in their prime
Jay Snider was the never the GM. And while he had his faults, under him and Farwell, they:
Traded for Brindamour
Acquired Lindros
And drafted guys like Ricci, Forsberg, Renberg and Therien.

Cuck is, by far, the worst the executive ever employed by the Flyers

Just for clarity sake, I make that Snider comment strictly from having to hear from STH’s that complain about things constantly and less so from the roster building and actual team.

Ed Snider definitely would not stand for the on ice product we’re seeing currently. Ed Snider definitely would stand for making money off of Gritty or increased ticket prices.
Totally agree with that.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
And yet some people still eat it up. "Torts has changed this franchise!"
"Someone people", like they aren't relatives of people in the organization.

"We've been catering to the Deadheads and the Ghostbeers of the fanbase for decades! Why hasn't it made the team good?!"

Team is perma-sewered until the higher ups stop appealing to the mouth breathing authentic fans. News at 11.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
"Someone people", like they aren't relatives of people in the organization.

"We've been catering to the Deadheads and the Ghostbeers of the fanbase for decades! Why hasn't it made the team good?!"

Team is perma-sewered until the higher ups stop appealing to the mouth breathing authentic fans. News at 11.

It’s just a catch right. Why would you willingly alienate the people that worship you, and how you played the game as gods.

Maybe it’s a woe is me thing, but this really isn’t a team for many of us. They don’t care about a large majority of their fanbase.

I’m 32, I’ll be very impressed if in 10yrs time we see anything close to a team like how Tampa or Carolina are run. Hell even NYR, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Detriot or Montreal who accepted even they aren’t too historically legendary to rebuild properly.

Because that’s how long this is taking. You will need to see some long winters do their job to lot of these guys, but that’s the reality. Briere isn’t changing shit.

I’d like for them to continue to try, and be a more physical team in the league because I do feel the sport has lost too much of that - but so many other aspects of this “culture”, and how to build a modern club without suckling at the teet of FA need to be destroyed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad