2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ersson needs to play everyday, he missed almost a full season last year.

Sandstrom just needs a few good games to build value, there are so many putrid backup goalies around the league that teams will take a chance on any young goalie who flashes talent - and Sandstrom when healthy looked like a comer.

There's nothing to lose giving Sandstrom a few games, and Ersson can use the work if he's going to be the 1A next season.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Ersson is not helping the draft position so I'm happy to see him go back down.
THIS is the year we get two competent goaltenders.

Sandstrom just needs a few good games to build value, there are so many putrid backup goalies around the league that teams will take a chance on any young goalie who flashes talent - and Sandstrom when healthy looked like a comer.

There's nothing to lose giving Sandstrom a few games, and Ersson can use the work if he's going to be the 1A next season.
Or, hear me out, go ahead and give your best two goaltenders the platoon down the stretch to let them develop against the talent they’re gonna be playing against next year. Unless the plan changes again.

Plus make sure we don’t break hart—who for all his virtues hasn’t shown durability.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's now been 20 games since JVR and York returned, 14 since Allison came back.
That allowed them to stabilize the lines and D-pairs.

D
Provorov 18:25 CF 51.50%, xGF 51.24% - 0.16 pp/60
Sanheim 17:42 CF 49.75%, xGF 45.26% - 0.51 pp/60
TDA 16:55 CF 46.95%, xGF 41.46% - 1.11 pp/60
York 16:22 CF 51.93%, xGF 55.28% - 1.16 pp/60
Risto 15:31 CF 49.92%, xGF 54.48% - 0.58 pp/60
Seeler 13:21 CF 49.64%, xGF 55.75% - 0.79 pp/60
Braun 12:36 CF 44.96%, xGF 49.29% - 0.00 pp/60

F
TK 14:28 CF 48.24%, xGF 45.57% - 2.49 pp/60
Farabee 13:29 CF 46.99%, xGF 44.29% - 2.00 pp/60
Frost 13:19 CF 52.47%, xGF 52.76% - 2.70 pp/60 (Sh 21.88%), normal SH% he'd be about 1.90 pp/60
Cates 13:10 CF 48.89%, xGF 49.07% - 1.14 pp/60
Hayes 13:02 CF 52.96%, xGF 58.31% - 1.70 pp/60
Laughton 12:52 CF 48.87%, xGF 51.63% - 1.17 pp/60
Tippett 12:41 CF 54.81%, xGF 57.19% - 2.13 pp/60
JVR 12:38 CF 55.15%, xGF 54.87% - 2.37 pp/60
Allison 12:01 CF 50.21%, xGF 59.10% - 1.43 pp/60

MacEwen 10:37 CF 48.64%, xGF 44.46% - 0.31 pp/60
Brown 9:48 CF 46.55%, xGF 43.11% - 0.64 pp/60
Deslauriers 9:24 CF 44.31%, xGF 38.57% - 0.64 pp/60

To me, Cates is a placeholder for Couts.
I see JVR and Hayes out, Couts and Atkinson in next year.
If Laughton is also moved, Cates becomes the 3C, otherwise one of Cates/Laughton moves to LW.

Provorov is playing better paired with York, maybe b/c he does less with York handling the puck.
Sanheim is struggling with TDA, both are puck dominant D-men and neither great at CYA for an aggressive partner.
Right now, they might be better with Sanheim - Risto and Seeler - TDA.

They're rolling 3 lines, playing about the same minutes.
I think Torts would like to do that down the road, keeping legs fresh instead of having to overwork a top line.
It'll be interesting come spring to see how they use Foerster, Brink, Lycksell, Desnoyers and maybe Gauthier, if the Phantoms don't make the AHL playoffs.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
THIS is the year we get two competent goaltenders.

Or, hear me out, go ahead and give your best two goaltenders the platoon down the stretch to let them develop against the talent they’re gonna be playing against next year. Unless the plan changes again.

Plus make sure we don’t break hart—who for all his virtues hasn’t shown durability.

Or hear me out..play all of your worst players for draft position.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
The phantoms should make the playoffs. There's a bit of a depth issue at rw. Tk brink Foerster Allison tippet Atkinson once he gets healthy along with macewen. We'll see who can switch sides and who forces playing time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tippett has played a lot of LW, he'd probably be the first to switch.
Atkinson could probably do it.
I wouldn't have Foerster, Allison or Brink switch sides, right now they just have to focus on improving their game.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He needs more than a few good games at this point.

You don't have to try to defend and justify everything they do.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I have no problem with this. This is better for Ersson. Let him play a lot, let Sandstrom be the one rotting behind Hart. Sandstrom's not as bad as his numbers say either. Let him play other than on the back end of a B2B. We gave Hart too much, too soon, and I believe it set him back. Ersson had a great callup, and next year, then you think about it, maybe even let him push Hart.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He needs more than a few good games at this point.

You don't have to try to defend and justify everything they do.
I suggested this BEFORE they did it. Wake up, and be woke.

If you're not playing for anything this season, makes more sense to get Ersson more work - for goalies, the AHL is not very different than the NHL. You won't face Ovi, but you will face a lot of good shooters who are limited by lack of speed and agility from translating their scoring prowness ot the next level (Marody, for example, or a younger O'Reilly)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I suggested this BEFORE they did it. Wake up, and be woke.

If you're not playing for anything this season, makes more sense to get Ersson more work - for goalies, the AHL is not very different than the NHL. You won't face Ovi, but you will face a lot of good shooters who are limited by lack of speed and agility from translating their scoring prowness ot the next level (Marody, for example, or a younger O'Reilly)

A lack of speed and agility is a major deal when talking about a position where holding precise angles is vital. That alone establishes the AHL is in fact very different from the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not so much for goalies, your scorers are going against defenders who also aren't as quick, so they can make plays (create scoring opportunities) at the AHL level they couldn't at the NHL level.

So goalies see a similar volume of shots and dangerous scoring chances.
Thus AHL performance probably translates more for goalies than other positions.

Reactions: captainpaxil

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Or hear me out..play all of your worst players for draft position.
My issue is that I actually think we have a goaltender we can grow with out of the rebuild if it’s done right. Whether hart prices himself out or it’s one of the Swedes I’m not sure but I’ve been indoctrinated for all my years as a flyers fan that we need to find a goalie.

Not so much for goalies, your scorers are going against defenders who also aren't as quick, so they can make plays (create scoring opportunities) at the AHL level they couldn't at the NHL level.

So goalies see a similar volume of shots and dangerous scoring chances.
Thus AHL performance probably translates more for goalies than other positions.
The shooter quality isn’t the same. That’s, like, the reason they’re in the AHL.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My issue is that I actually think we have a goaltender we can grow with out of the rebuild if it’s done right. Whether hart prices himself out or it’s one of the Swedes I’m not sure but I’ve been indoctrinated for all my years as a flyers fan that we need to find a goalie.

The shooter quality isn’t the same. That’s, like, the reason they’re in the AHL.
But shooting is easier, defenders don't close on you and block your shot the way they do in the NHL.
So you can get away with a slower release and slapshots (which I hate in the NHL, too easy to read and rarely accurate).
The same basics that work in the AHL for a goalie (footwork, positioning, rebound control) will work in the NHL.

This is why top performers in the KHL (age appropriate) seem to translate well to the NHL despite the difference in ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad