2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'll put my faith in anyone who supports a rebuild instead of the "same old, same old."

Colorado missed the playoffs 6 of 7 seasons, their one good season was driven by a hot goaltender and Duchene (#3), Landeskog (#2), ROR, McKinnon (#1).
Varlamov won 41 games with a .927 S% that season.
This was the team that drafted Chris Stewart #18.
You’ll put your faith in anyone that runs the show as we’ve seen with the stances over the years from Hextall, Hakstol, Fletcher, AV, and now Torts and Briere.

What is your point? I fail to see how that shows that the Avalanche were as big of a mess as the Flyers Front Office.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
You know exactly where.

1) His point totals are higher so lazy fans think something drastic changed. They don’t realize he was great last year too, just with horrible luck instead of great luck.

2) weird fans are foaming at the mouth to give their hero Torts credit for literally anything. That’s why they’re pretending TK, Risto, etc are suddenly much better players.
what is your definition of great?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
TK is having a nice season, but lets see him produce at this level going up against the best - in the playoffs a few years from now.

Flyers always do this. Think their secondary guys are are better than they are - and the dream goes out in a whisp of smoke when the competition level rises. He's a nice player, having a career year. Sell high.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
With Konecny, it does go a few ways. He's peaked close to this before, but that was with Giroux and Couturier. There's no one's coattails to ride right now.

His shooting % is too high, but he had 3 straight years between 13.2-17% before his last 2 year slump. He regularly snipes goalies clean, so I'm willing to believe somewhere in that range is his true shooting talent. He'd still be point/game on this team shooting 13%. He also only has 5 secondary assists, which is equally unlucky, so perhaps that would offset any shooting dip. He's also been their best PP producer on a dismal PP, where he'd be better slotted as a complimentary guy on a top unit.

I'm certainly not gaga over Torts, but I think it's worth mentioning this is the first coach who outright likes Konecny and doesn't obsess over his flaws. Hakstol was a douche, and he did what he could to rob TK of his confidence. Vigneault, another asshole, was playing mind games by the bubble, thereafter scratching him, etc. This is just a confident, not overthinking player right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts is supposed to be a defensive minded dinosaur, yet he's been patient with TK, Frost, Tippett and TDA.
What do they have in common? Speed and skill.
As long as they make mistakes of aggression, Torts will make funny faces on the bench but keep playing them.
But stop back checking, skating hard every shift, and you'll be watching from the press box.

I think he has mellowed, but his basic approach is you win with talent and speed, so you live with mistakes as long as those mistakes are learning experiences for young players, that is, you don't want to clip their wings, you just want to keep them from being sloppy, lazy players who put their point totals before the team.

He's done this at every stop, the players who thrive under him are these sorts, whether St Louis or Atkinson.
Question is who do you trust to find him more of these players, and to do so without overpaying?

Reactions: captainpaxil

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tortorella has absolutely NOT been patient with TDA. :laugh:

I said when he was hired that he's not exactly a total dinosaur, even if he likes to act like one. It's the same guy that told Werenski to be a rover. He has a fetish for little buzzsaw forwards -- it's probably that simple. He still admittedly has zero idea how to scheme offense and lets Rocky Thompson f*** that up. But he does let Konecny play his game. Now, if Konecny was his still solid 60 point version......same leeway? I'm skeptical.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
TK is having a nice season, but lets see him produce at this level going up against the best - in the playoffs a few years from now.

Flyers always do this. Think their secondary guys are are better than they are - and the dream goes out in a whisp of smoke when the competition level rises. He's a nice player, having a career year. Sell high.
Yeah, he's having a really good season, but someone has to score on a bad team. He looks more determined than ever, but the main reason TK and Kevin Hayes are having career years is because there aren't many other players to produce.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Imagine equating Hayes to Konecny.

giphy.gif

#ASG

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
REBUILDING!!!!

Good thing I don't take a shot every time that is said...I'd be dead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, he's having a really good season, but someone has to score on a bad team. He looks more determined than ever, but the main reason TK and Kevin Hayes are having career years is because there aren't many other players to produce.
That doesn't compute. It's not like they're playing a ridiculous amount of minutes and are scoring b/c of that usage.
I mean it doesn't matter if other players don't produce, you play your shift and either you make plays or you don't.
In fact, it's harder to score on a weak team b/c opponents can focus on shutting you down.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
With Konecny, it does go a few ways. He's peaked close to this before, but that was with Giroux and Couturier. There's no one's coattails to ride right now.

His shooting % is too high, but he had 3 straight years between 13.2-17% before his last 2 year slump. He regularly snipes goalies clean, so I'm willing to believe somewhere in that range is his true shooting talent. He'd still be point/game on this team shooting 13%. He also only has 5 secondary assists, which is equally unlucky, so perhaps that would offset any shooting dip. He's also been their best PP producer on a dismal PP, where he'd be better slotted as a complimentary guy on a top unit.

I'm certainly not gaga over Torts, but I think it's worth mentioning this is the first coach who outright likes Konecny and doesn't obsess over his flaws. Hakstol was a douche, and he did what he could to rob TK of his confidence. Vigneault, another asshole, was playing mind games by the bubble, thereafter scratching him, etc. This is just a confident, not overthinking player right now.

Amazing how not jerking players around helps them, especially after I've been assured for years that doesn't matter and the players always deserve it because coaches are professional and beyond question.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts is supposed to be a defensive minded dinosaur, yet he's been patient with TK, Frost, Tippett and TDA.
What do they have in common? Speed and skill.
As long as they make mistakes of aggression, Torts will make funny faces on the bench but keep playing them.
But stop back checking, skating hard every shift, and you'll be watching from the press box.

I think he has mellowed, but his basic approach is you win with talent and speed, so you live with mistakes as long as those mistakes are learning experiences for young players, that is, you don't want to clip their wings, you just want to keep them from being sloppy, lazy players who put their point totals before the team.

He's done this at every stop, the players who thrive under him are these sorts, whether St Louis or Atkinson.
Question is who do you trust to find him more of these players, and to do so without overpaying?

Uh, Tortorella IS a defensive minded dinosaur.

Reactions: Striiker

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Just read an article that had the bottom 6 as
Farabee frost tippet
Cates laughton Allison

Who would be the top 6?
Couts Atkinson Kony 1st line Frost Tippet Farabee 2nd line and Laughton Allison Cates 3rd line would not be the worst thing I have seen .

Last edited:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Don’t you need to have offensive ability to be a “strong two-way forward?”

Or is that just like being called an innings eater?

Torts loves Cates so Charlie loves Cates.

Torts isnt sold on Frost so Charlie isnt sold on Frost.

All of the writers are connected to Torts ass by one of those Dentist Nitrous Oxide style carts and spend all day inhaling his flatulence.

Depositphotos_137083636_m-2015-300x200.jpg

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Torts loves Cates so Charlie loves Cates.

Torts isnt sold on Frost so Charlie isnt sold on Frost.

All of the writers are connected to Torts ass by one of those Dentist Nitrous Oxide style carts and spend all day inhaling his flatulence.

View attachment 638452
This is a good way for all the beats to get pink eye. Mask doesn’t fit well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad