2022/23 Roster Thread XVI: Suite 16, Room for Improvement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They need to get Sandstrom back in the net and Ersson playing for LHV.

Sandstrom has to play enough to showcase him for a trade, young goalies always have some value if they can flash for a few games, and that would clear the spot for Ersson to back up Hart next year and limit his starts.

Right now I'd rather see Ersson play big minutes in LHV, he's missed time due to injury (only played 5 games last season) and playing once a week or less won't speed his development.
You are out of your mind. No team is trading for him. He is a dime a dozen goalie at this point.

My take is they will give Ersson more games then they gave Felix. They will end up resting Hart more as it seems they have much more faith in Ersson. Plus Hart is injury prone the last x amount of years. So they will keep all 3.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You know GF is just a fancy name for +/- ?
You know that Risto is terrible no matter what stat you look at? And he makes five million one hundred thousand dollars against the salary cap.

Change it to 5on5 GF%, which takes away all the ENG, and Risto's results are even worse: -7.12%. :laugh: That is shockingly bad for a defenseman who has been sheltered from hard matchups when possible.

This is the worst NHL contract signed in 2022:

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Yeah, let's showcase a guy with a .888% and 3.37GAA with the fourteenth worst GSAE/60 (17th percentile) in the league. I'm sure teams are BEATING down the door to acquire that guy.

So I forget, is this year about rebuilding and finding out what we have or showcasing players for trades? Because i'm getting some mixed signals.
be better off of they do to increase those draft odds!!! Now they wont.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, let's showcase a guy with a .888% and 3.37GAA with the fourteenth worst GSAE/60 (17th percentile) in the league. I'm sure teams are BEATING down the door to acquire that guy.

So I forget, is this year about rebuilding and finding out what we have or showcasing players for trades? Because i'm getting some mixed signals.
You're not going to get much for him, but if Kosolov is coming over next season, and we may still get Fedotov out of the Gulag after he serves his year, there's going to be no place for Sandstrom. It's a situation similar to Stolarz, promising young goalie derailed by injuries.

Teams without goalie depth may want to use a late round pick on a "flyer."

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
You're not going to get much for him, but if Kosolov is coming over next season, and we may still get Fedotov out of the Gulag after he serves his year, there's going to be no place for Sandstrom. It's a situation similar to Stolarz, promising young goalie derailed by injuries.

Stolarz performed admirably with the Flyers in the NHL while Sandstrom has not so they're not very similar at all.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

You will not get anything at all. Fedotov lol. He is like snuuffleupagus at this point.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hayes is coming of two injury filled seasons, staying healthy and producing will increase his value.

Lycksell is playing on the 1st line in LHV, getting a lot more minutes than he would in Philly.
When JVR is traded, he can step right into a top 9 LW role.

The guy who'd fit right in on a 4th line role would be Desnoyers, who did that in junior before moving up the food chain and is fundamentally sound, and I'd also put him on the PK. But there's no rush with him. Same with Wisdom.

AHL minutes are not NHL minutes. You told us there would be a revolving door. You were fine with loading the bottom line with youth. Were you wrong about all that? Did you change your mind? Why? Your initial thoughts were focused on rebuilding. Did you change your mind because the team isn't rebuilding?

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
They’re still trying to make Kieffer Bellows an NHL player eh? He doesn’t process the game fast enough mentally and he can’t keep up physically (see how very slow he is).

“Gotta force this dumb waiver wire pick up to work. Even when all evidence to the contrary shows he’s not an NHL player. My name is Chuckles, I am a stubborn moron.”

- not a real quote

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

H91iMnE.gif

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Charlie put out his mid-season grades earlier today, and he gave Noah Cates a B. Here is his blurb about Cates.

"By the numbers, Cates has just been OK as a rookie — 16 points in 38 games, basically a break-even play-driver at even strength. But Cates is doing all of this while adapting to both the NHL at large and the center position full-time, regularly taking on the toughest shifts of any pivot on the roster. In other words, Cates is being deployed way higher in the lineup than he would be on a good NHL team, yet he’s holding his own anyway. In addition, Cates passes the eye test with flying colors, and has already earned the trust of his teammates, particularly when it comes to his defensive acumen. They’re right to trust him — Cates currently ranks in the 94th percentile in defensive xG impact among NHL forwards. We’re talking about a guy who very well might end up with some scattered Selke Trophy votes here.

The offense, however, has been lacking, which keeps him in the B range, and he isn’t driving play at the stellar rates he was during his 16-game NHL stint in 2021-22. But there’s a very good case that’s a result of his usage, not because he lacks scoring potential. He’s looking like a great fit for a contender’s middle-six, and the hope is that he’ll benefit in the long term by playing a bit above his ideal lineup spot due to the heavy ice time (17:51) and opportunities to learn on the fly"

I've been very happy with Cates' defensive play, but as good as his defensive has been, his lack of offensive, considering his deployment is concerning. In terms of raw production, 16 points in 38 games is a good number, but then factor in ice time and his linemates. But Charlie brings up the fact that he's in the 94th percentile for defensive xG impact; however, he neglects to bring up the fact that he's in the 5th percentile for offensive xG impact by the same metric.

The line about usage is not complete, either. Yes, he's going up against top competition, but he's also being deployed with the best offensive linemates on the team. In previous posts, I've shown just how dominant TK has been in terms of offensive involvement, so the fact that he's not benefiting from that is concerning. If he wasn't being deployed with those linemates, I seriously wonder if he would have cracked 10 points at center. Then you might be having a different conversation...

All of this doesn't mean he won't be able to produce in the future, or that this deployment won't help him in the long run. It's just an inconsistency in his rankings.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We’re talking about a guy who very well might end up with some scattered Selke Trophy votes here.

For reference, in 13-14 Sean Couturier had 39 points in 82 games and got 30 Selke votes. The only forward who got Selke votes with fewer points than that was Datsyuk, with 37 points in 45 games.

What if they tried playing him at his actual position, I wonder
Weird how Ottawa and Chicago never moved Marian Hossa to center. Think of the career he could have had.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last 28 games (after the first 10 which everyone here acknowledged was a clusterf--- at the time):
Frost has 9 5x5 points (1.53 pp/60), Cates 8 (1.34 pp/60).
The difference is Frost has 6 goals with Sh 15.58%, Cates has 1 goal with Sh 4.35%.

Both centers have had equivalent wingers, Frost has JVR and Tippett, Cates has TK and Farabee.
Both are playing over their pay grade, both are still learning on the job.

Whether Cates stays at center probably depends on Couts' health, Gauthier's progress and who they draft this summer.
However, there's a good chance he ends up as the 3C who also PKs, gets time on PP2, and plays up in the lineup with a lead, much the way Couts was used his first few seasons. So his total minutes end up in the top 5 among forwards.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Last 28 games (after the first 10 which everyone here acknowledged was a clusterf--- at the time):
Frost has 9 5x5 points (1.53 pp/60), Cates 8 (1.34 pp/60).
The difference is Frost has 6 goals with Sh 15.58%, Cates has 1 goal with Sh 4.35%.

Both centers have had equivalent wingers, Frost has JVR and Tippett, Cates has TK and Farabee.
Both are playing over their pay grade, both are still learning on the job.

Whether Cates stays at center probably depends on Couts' health, Gauthier's progress and who they draft this summer.
However, there's a good chance he ends up as the 3C who also PKs, gets time on PP2, and plays up in the lineup with a lead, much the way Couts was used his first few seasons. So his total minutes end up in the top 5 among forwards.
Why do you compare everyone vs Frost?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Because the first three lines are set, both Lycksell (23) and Bellows (24) are better served playing big minutes in LHV than on the 4th line in Philly. Bellows actually had good metrics in Philly, just couldn't score to save his life (pressing?).

Who do you sit on the first three lines? JVR is being showcased, Hayes needs to build his value for a summer deal, same with Laughton, you gonna sit Allison? The 4th line generally plays 8 minutes a night, do you want to stick Lycksell with Brown and MacEwen?

At the TDL, JVR is a good bet to be moved, maybe Laughton, a couple others.
Hayes will probably wait for summer, same with Provorov due to cap implications.

There's no rush, if the Phantoms make the playoffs you might keep them there to play major roles in an AHL playoff than play out the string in Philly.
Getting them to be able to play big minutes at the AHL Playoffs is a simple paper transaction. They don't need to be there for the rest of the year...

Rotating door remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad