2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
You don't "fire him," you promote Briere with an informal understanding that he has full authority as GM, and Chuck is basically a figure head. So publicly it's about Briere, not Chuck, behind the scenes Chuck's ball are in a bottle on the shelf.
Why in the world do you not fire him?

I’d love to hear that. It should be an amazing reason.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Theoretically I could understand the optics of wanting to kick Chuck up to President...if he wasn't already President. How can you indict Chuck's duties as GM by firing him but not his duties as President?

ASF said in that podcast that Comcast is fully aware there’s no shot in hell they can successfully sell Fletcher staying in any capacity to the fanbase.

He made it seem like Clarke doesn’t give a shit about that aspect & wants Fletcher to stay on in the president role. He made it seem like Dave Scott while he really likes Fletcher personally isn’t ignoring the business aspect of it.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
ASF said in that podcast that Comcast is fully aware there’s no shot in hell they can successfully sell Fletcher staying in any capacity to the fanbase.

He made it seem like Clarke doesn’t give a shit about that aspect & wants Fletcher to stay on in the president role. He made it seem like Dave Scott while he really likes Fletcher personally isn’t ignoring the business aspect of it.

Clarke is just the f***ing worst.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
wtf happened to panel Torts ?

he specificaly said "safe is death in the modern NHL"

now hes back behind the bench and all he preachs is making safe plays and never risking giving up a goal..

hes 100% bait n switched me the mofo

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sanheim's one big weakness (play along the boards in the D-zone) is Risto's one big strength.
So it's not totally crazy that Risto improves Sanheim's defensive metrics.

Though these are SSS values, it's also why I'm skeptic of analytics, it's not that they're useless, it's that there is a substantial amount of noise in these metrics, so "buyer beware."

Now they do reflect Seeler playing much better this season, but he's not THAT much better, from a #7 D-man to a solid 3rd pair is a jump, but not a huge jump.

Risto sucks ass along the boards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why in the world do you not fire him?

I’d love to hear that. It should be an amazing reason.
I was simply referring to the option supposedly under consideration to keep him as President (and let him ride off into the sunset when his contract expires). By promoting Briere, you make it look like it was the plan all along and don't mention that Fletcher has no personnel authority.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

f*** Clarke and his fake records.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Imo retaining Fletcher is less to do with Fletcher, and more so ensuring that the country club maintains its standing.

Hextall jeopardized that, and Fletcher has very much so made them feel influential. To can Fletcher once again jeopardizes that someone might dare to see the old guard as part of the problem.

This is about all the men in tenured positions ensuring they keep them, and have the organization continue to massage their egos.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was simply referring to the option supposedly under consideration to keep him as President (and let him ride off into the sunset when his contract expires). By promoting Briere, you make it look like it was the plan all along and don't mention that Fletcher has no personnel authority.

But Fletcher will have personnel authority. The structure won't be changing. He'll still be there as team president. His idiot voice will still have weight.

There's no point defending keeping any of them. Every one of them has to go. This decision cannot be rationalized if that's their path.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Hopefully chuck gets fired n rehired over the summer then briere can trade him Risto.

After all, Risto was CFs white whale. He tried to get him in Minny too. He aint gonna let him go just because he changes teams.

To Minnesota Chuck Fletcher and Risto

To Philadelphia future considerations

Make it happen

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Someone will have to take the blame for the situation the franchise is in, and by keeping Fletcher and simply naming Briere GM you're basically saying that there's no reason to blame anyone.
Unless Briere is a genius GM who's going to transform the franchise, that won't be enough to regain trust.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
But Fletcher will have personnel authority. The structure won't be changing. He'll still be there as team president. His idiot voice will still have weight.

There's no point defending keeping any of them. Every one of them has to go. This decision cannot be rationalized if that's their path.

The biggest threat imo is Briere. He’s not coming in, and making changes. If Fletcher is to go, Briere needs to be gone as well.

This needs an external hire, not more incest.

Tulsky, and Darche are obvious candidates I guess. MacFarland was sadly locked up by the Avs I think. To not even hear of men being considered outside of Briere is alarming. O'Connor stated today that there were men in the Flyers org that believed this was a good team, if they just shifted their attitude - and elevated their compete level.

Those voices aren't going anywhere if Briere is chosen. Nothing changes. Lappy, Lombardi, Barber, Hanrahan, Dave Brown, Samuelsson, or McCauley aren't on the hot seat if Danny takes over.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I'm not saying those models don't show Seeler is having a good season. I'm saying I think Dom's market value thing feels like a gimmick. So, Seeler has a negative GSVA every season, but 29 games puts his market value at $3.7 mil? And I'm supposed to believe the guy below has a market value of $2.7 mil? I don't see how that's possible unless it's entirely based around a 20-ish game sample.......which is why I think it seems gimmicky. Probably so they can have wildly fluctuating cards through the season for article fodder.
I got a chuckle this summer when JFresh ran a rough NHL comparison tool and every skilled defender's least similar comparable (Girard, Hughes, Dahlin, even Sanheim) was "Nick Seeler." I mean, we watch Seeler -- his skill-set looks fringe as ever, with a background that shows him as fringe (his career numbers are as negative as they are presently positive). He's a big beneficiary of these team adjusted stats as well, having a good 3rd pairing start with most of the defensive group getting slaughtered statistically. That's where I imagine the xGAR, WAR, etc. overstate things.
Yeah I get it. I am not sure what the f is going on with Don’s model.

When it comes to Seeler’s xGAR numbers the Evolving Hockey twins basically stated that specifically for Defenseman, xGAR numbers are so volatile and they are basically a crap shoot early on.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
You don't "fire him," you promote Briere with an informal understanding that he has full authority as GM, and Chuck is basically a figure head. So publicly it's about Briere, not Chuck, behind the scenes Chuck's ball are in a bottle on the shelf.
No, you shit can Schmuck and Nature Boy's sorry asses out the door. And if Dave Scott had any sort of spine or if his testicles ever drop, he can get rid of all the senior advisors and executive staff and start by hiring a competent President of Hockey Operations and then the President can hire a GM and said GM can assemble their staff.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@Striiker

giphy.gif

He's not wrong, their numbers are improved since that arbitrary date, but he's doing the thing where he's ignoring half the sample, which says they're probably not above average nor are they historically bad. Is that improvement (we don't have to totally discount it) or just fluctuation? It's also a softer stretch of the season, with 10/18 games against below average offenses by xGF/60. As for the PK, they have the highest xGA since Nov 8.

If in what might be the best stretch of the season you're 19th in xGF% at 5v5, because despite the organizational talking point offense still matters, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Not to mention this sample includes the 10 game losing streak! Add in score effects and 19th in CA/60 and 11th in xGA/60 doesn't look as mind blowing. Meanwhile, they're 12th in CF/60 and 26th in xGF/60. Not taking offensive risks can often allow you to be structured going back to your own zone to avoid rush chances, but it's not necessarily winning hockey.

A funny quirk of that sample is: do you know who was mostly driving those defensive stats the last month? Bellows, Sedlak, Deslauriers, Laczynski, Brown, Seeler, Braun. It's ALL fringe players. No joke, it's almost an exact split between the fringe depth guys and the proven NHL guys. Is that even a good thing? Is it a meaningful thing? Is it a sustainable thing?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Imo retaining Fletcher is less to do with Fletcher, and more so ensuring that the country club maintains its standing.

Hextall jeopardized that, and Fletcher has very much so made them feel influential. To can Fletcher once again jeopardizes that someone might dare to see the old guard as part of the problem.

This is about all the men in tenured positions ensuring they keep them, and have the organization continue to massage their egos.
100% this ^^^^

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad