2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lol this is just completely delusional. There's nothing more to say about it.

Why are you mentioning Sanheim? I'm even more sure now you aren't watching
To point out if you just fixate on mistakes, you can find plenty from any D-man, because they play a lot of minutes.

I've also seen Risto make more good defensive plays this year than last season.

People get so fixated on their perceptions that they're not open to any possibility of change.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
To point out if you just fixate on mistakes, you can find plenty from any D-man, because they play a lot of minutes.

I've also seen Risto make more good defensive plays this year than last season.

People get so fixated on their perceptions that they're not open to any possibility of change.

What a ridiculously low bar. I also don't fixate on mistakes actually, and this is something I've told you for many years now while YOU focused on on certain player's mistakes while ignoring everything else.

Risto makes very very very few positive plays. At all. That's why he's so bad more than anything else. You can make a ton of mistakes and still make positive plays. Look at TDA. Risyo makes shitloads of mistakes and almost no positive plays.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Risto last 20 games, xGF 51.80%, xGFrel +3.68.
Some of that on the 3rd pair with Seeler, but a number of games on the 1st pair with Provorov.
16:23 at 5x5, Provorov 18:17, Sanheim 17:28, TDA 17:26 (York 16:40), Braun 14:38, Seeler 13:46. So he's not being sheltered.
xGF/60: 2.28. Which isn't great but doesn't make him an offensive black hole, either
Ghost for example has a xGF/60: 2.39 on a more wide open offense.

We'll see if he can maintain this play, but it's good enough to make him a useful "body" on defense, and better than he's looked his entire career. The contract is what it is, going forward if he can at least be a solid 3rd pair guy who can play up in the lineup he'll have some value and be easier to move down the road.

Oh well, the last 20 games of an over 500 game career. Guess it's too early to tell what kind of defenseman Stinktolainen can become. Thank God he's being paid $5.1 million to learn on the job.....

If Shaw can turn Risto into a respectable D-man, extend the man!
Anyone can coach a Makar, but turning sows' ears into silk purses is quite a trick.
Not anyone can coach a Makar. Add for Stinktolainen, if Shaw turns him into a mediocre defenseman (because it's clear that offense is no longer a part of his game or ability), then they need to deal his sorry ass as quick as possible. $5.1 million for a third pairing defender who needs to be taught how to play defense. Only in Philadelphia.....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The past is past, whether it's Risto or Hextall drafting Patrick.
All that matters is what you do going forward.

Torts, and it looks like Briere, have to figure out how to make do with the hand they've been given, not "coulda shoulda woulda."

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
No, the past is not just simply the past. It does matter just as every single other thing has mattered that has brought us to this point. All of the sudden this franchise is going to be able to operate in the proper way after showing for a decade plus that it has no idea how to function in the 21st century of hockey? We're supposed to just believe that? The ones that have this organization where it currently is will be the ones that are making Briere GM and they're the ones that Hired Tortorella.

You do not simply get to wave it away because it makes your stances look horrible.

Mentioning Risto and drafting Patrick in the same breath as if they're even remotely comparable is LOL worthy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The past is past, whether it's Risto or Hextall drafting Patrick.
All that matters is what you do going forward.

Torts, and it looks like Briere, have to figure out how to make do with the hand they've been given, not "coulda shoulda woulda."

Actually this is the present, and it will continue to be the future.

Tortorella is not the GM, and he sure as hell isn't doing much with his hand he's allowed to have. He's been hired to try and roll the hockey clock back a decade and that's exactly what he's very happily doing. He's part of the problem. Briere is part of the problem. Every single person hired by the management, every single person Clarke has ever buddied up to when they suck up to him, they're the problems. All his shitty spoiled family and his scummy friends, hanging on to the bloated corpse of this team to suck out as much money and ego-placation as they can like leeches hanging onto a carcass trying to get that last drop of juice.

The Flyers need to just come to grips with the reality that it all has to go. They are going to have to basically be an expansion franchise without a draft to fix this going forward. Every aspect of their approach is wrong. Everyone tainted by it has to be purged.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Briere is going to be a bigger joke than Fletcher.

The man that was in charge of pushing/signing Deslauries. Been right alongside the last few years approving every beatiful step. He’s a loser. :laugh:
New fantasy theory: Briere pushed for that signing and agreed with other dubious transactions knowing full well that a complete rebuild is needed. Hastens Chuck's departure and hopefully gets him canned completely, Danny boy gets a built in excuse for why the team is terrible for the first few years of his tenure, and he has a bunch of tank commanders in place to garner as many high draft picks as humanly possible to hopefully hit upon a franchise player or two.

Now, I realize that sitting idly by while Chuck trades all of our 2nd round pick completely contradicts that but Briere being a Machiavellian wolf in sheep's clothing is the only hope I have of enjoying hockey again any time even remotely soon, so I'll continue to not-seriously entertain the notion.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
New fantasy theory: Briere pushed for that signing and agreed with other dubious transactions knowing full well that a complete rebuild is needed. Hastens Chuck's departure and hopefully gets him canned completely, Danny boy gets a built in excuse for why the team is terrible for the first few years of his tenure, and he has a bunch of tank commanders in place to garner as many high draft picks as humanly possible to hopefully hit upon a franchise player or two.

Now, I realize that sitting idly by while Chuck trades all of our 2nd round pick completely contradicts that but Briere being a Machiavellian wolf in sheep's clothing is the only hope I have of enjoying hockey again any time even remotely soon, so I'll continue to not-seriously entertain the notion.

It’s a theory for sure I guess. If I’m going to hang hope, it would be the fact that for some reason Montreal was interested in Danny - other than him being a francophone. Montreal who imo, has grasped on to what modern development/coaching/rebuilding in the NHL means.

It’s been said a lot, but I can’t see Danny coming in after being very much present the last few seasons - and demanding accountability for the very men that approved his hire. I can’t see him forcing the team to let go of the BSB obsession they doubled down on this summer.

One would hope he’s a “modern mind”, but I just can’t see it. He’s going to be put in a shitty position listening to a crackhead scouting department from day one.

My true hope, so to speak - lies in Camillo. With rumors she may be the next heir, I have hope that she has the gall to actually remove incompetence. She’s shown to not bow down to that old guard at times, it’s why they were so willing to smear her. That’s my “Luke Skywalker” hiding on Tatooine.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, the past is not just simply the past. It does matter just as every single other thing has mattered that has brought us to this point. All of the sudden this franchise is going to be able to operate in the proper way after showing for a decade plus that it has no idea how to function in the 21st century of hockey? We're supposed to just believe that? The ones that have this organization where it currently is will be the ones that are making Briere GM and they're the ones that Hired Tortorella.

You do not simply get to wave it away because it makes your stances look horrible.

Mentioning Risto and drafting Patrick in the same breath as if they're even remotely comparable is LOL worthy.
You're right, the opportunity cost for Patrick is far worse, Maker, Heiskanen or Pettersson. Anyone of which would been a solid foundation piece.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You're right, the opportunity cost for Patrick is far worse, Maker, Heiskanen or Pettersson. Anyone of which would been a solid foundation piece.

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trading #14 in a weak draft really sank this franchise.

Unless you think Voracek, Ghost and Gudas were the future of this franchise, the foundation has been rotting for a long time.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone wanna guess why Sham Atkinson hasn't been on IR or LTIR at all this season?

We're 30 games in now, and he hasn't played a second in the pre season or the regular season. But he's been on the active roster the entire time, if I'm not mistaken. So technically, the Flyers have never declared him to be officially injured.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Fire the entirety of upper management, in season, then go find real solutions through out the season. Perfect season to do it. Only real contract negotiations this summer are RFA's like Frost, York and Zamula. Let a new team determine the direction the franchise takes moving forward. Let them make the deadline deals if there are any to be made. Get them all out.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Trading #14 in a weak draft really sank this franchise.

Unless you think Voracek, Ghost and Gudas were the future of this franchise, the foundation has been rotting for a long time.

The Flyers were slated to have the 13th pick in both drafts. They had essentially the same finish. At least with the Patrick pick — who, I might add, I was told would be better than Tavares — they got no real value, just money on LTIR. Better than Fletcher trading extra 2nds and a chunk of cap space for surefire negative value for years to come. Since you want to cry to the heavens about opportunity cost.

Also, weak draft lol. Sure, pal, sure. Wherever did you get this idea that an unprecedented Covid draft, that looks quite deep now, was weak? Could it have been from renowned drafting duo, Fletcher and Flahr, who traded picks and lazily took no ceiling nothings? A trustworthy source. What’s the opportunity cost of the CHL Player of the Year going 1 pick after your possible bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad