2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Risto last 20 games, xGF 51.80%, xGFrel +3.68.
Some of that on the 3rd pair with Seeler, but a number of games on the 1st pair with Provorov.
16:23 at 5x5, Provorov 18:17, Sanheim 17:28, TDA 17:26 (York 16:40), Braun 14:38, Seeler 13:46. So he's not being sheltered.
xGF/60: 2.28. Which isn't great but doesn't make him an offensive black hole, either
Ghost for example has a xGF/60: 2.39 on a more wide open offense.

We'll see if he can maintain this play, but it's good enough to make him a useful "body" on defense, and better than he's looked his entire career. The contract is what it is, going forward if he can at least be a solid 3rd pair guy who can play up in the lineup he'll have some value and be easier to move down the road.

If Shaw can turn Risto into a respectable D-man, extend the man!
Anyone can coach a Makar, but turning sows' ears into silk purses is quite a trick.
No one cares about these silly stats in small sample sizes. They mean nothing. Our eyes can see that Fisto is bad at hockey and, since it’s a professional sport and a results based business, the most important stats, goals/assists/points, say it all.

You see, when you are being paid to be a top 4 D and you have zero points after a third of the season, that is not considered good. Yes, it’s that simple.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone wanna guess why Sham Atkinson hasn't been on IR or LTIR at all this season?

We're 30 games in now, and he hasn't played a second in the pre season or the regular season. But he's been on the active roster the entire time, if I'm not mistaken. So technically, the Flyers have never declared him to be officially injured.

Has any GM in history ever made as many moves in a row that spectacularly backfired as Charles Bias for Action Fletcher?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Anyone wanna guess why Sham Atkinson hasn't been on IR or LTIR at all this season?

We're 30 games in now, and he hasn't played a second in the pre season or the regular season. But he's been on the active roster the entire time, if I'm not mistaken. So technically, the Flyers have never declared him to be officially injured.

I believe all that they’ve said is that Atkinson has asked the team to keep what is bothering him within the organization.

There also, IIRC, was contradicting statements by the organization stating that it’s an issue that Atkinson has had before and then through Carchidi or someone else it was said that it was something new.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Has any GM in history ever made as many moves in a row that spectacularly backfired as Charles Bias for Action Fletcher?

I'd like to point out that Milbury, who is definitely an idiot, was in fact forced into a whole lot of bad moves by an owner who refused to spend money. Fletcher is making all these terrible moves without having to fill those internal restrictions. Unlike Milbury he has an open checkbook.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd like to point out that Milbury, who is definitely an idiot, was in fact forced into a whole lot of bad moves by an owner who refused to spend money. Fletcher is making all these terrible moves without having to fill those internal restrictions. Unlike Milbury he has an open checkbook.

Yeah Milbury and maaaybe Chiarelli are really the only comparables in the last, what, 30 years?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
People who refuse to acknowledge the past are doomed to repeat it.

I'm working for a project manager who essentially just says "the past is the past", most incompetent manager I've met so far as an engineer.

The past is a great learning tool. You need to recognize the mistakes and learn from them.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Risto last 20 games, xGF 51.80%, xGFrel +3.68.
Some of that on the 3rd pair with Seeler, but a number of games on the 1st pair with Provorov.
16:23 at 5x5, Provorov 18:17, Sanheim 17:28, TDA 17:26 (York 16:40), Braun 14:38, Seeler 13:46. So he's not being sheltered.
xGF/60: 2.28. Which isn't great but doesn't make him an offensive black hole, either

We'll see if he can maintain this play, but it's good enough to make him a useful "body" on defense, and better than he's looked his entire career. The contract is what it is, going forward if he can at least be a solid 3rd pair guy who can play up in the lineup he'll have some value and be easier to move down the road.

If Shaw can turn Risto into a respectable D-man, extend the man!
Anyone can coach a Makar, but turning sows' ears into silk purses is quite a trick.
I love a 5.5 million dollar, 0 points on the season, signed for another 4 1/2 years, useful "body" on defense

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Ghost in HIS arbitrary last 20 games has a +5.8 relxGF%. Thank you for making that point for us. He has *checks math* 21 more points.

When you need to use arbitrary 20 game samples with no context for a 0 point player, on a fresh $25 million contract, traded for the value of a top 10 pick, with 611 other games of league bottom play, to explain how he's not actually the worst.......I feel like that's a moment for self-reflection.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Has there ever been a 5 mill guy go the first 25 games in a season with zero points ?

I just remember Abdelkader, at forward but playing 7 minutes less, finishing his final season with 0 points in 39 games (0 goals and 3 assists in 49 games). He was making $4.25 mil in year 4 of a 7 year contract (!!!). Bought out right after. Feels like a good time to mention only 2 years earlier, he was on Team USA at the World Cup, coached by Torts and managed by Lombardi/Holmgren.

But I need to say: Ristolainen is not actually a defensive defenseman, and we should adjust expectations accordingly. He's, uh, a 0 point offensive defenseman! Yeah, that's it. Former 40 point guy donchaknow.

Only a year ago, everything seemed so simple.....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
TD was leading the team in ice time, then he was a healthy scratch, but maybe he's actually banged up, and now he's attending to a personal matter, so that's why he's not playing as of last night.

It doesn't really matter so long as the f***nuts don't bench York when he comes back, but it's very messy.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Seeler is also been the best defenseman on the Flyers per Evolving Hockey’s xGAR model, too… by a wide margin…

He has the 9th highest xGAR/60 in the league. They were talking about it on the last few podcasts as well.
Goals Above Ristolainen? The whole league is positive in this metric ... except for 2 of our very own boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad