2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's hard to believe Hayes should be bought out. There's no purpose extending the cap obligation further; cap space isn't even needed for a rebuild (well, uh, it shouldn't be ne-......oh, dear god). You gave out the contract, just lick the plate clean and accept it tastes like shit. If they think he's a locker room detriment, those are tears of laughter running down my cheek. But if there's a sucker GM out there not employed by the Philadelphia Flyers, then I guess that's a second door.
This franchise has the story arc of a colouring book.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Except so far there isn't much evidence, Hayes is trying, he's just been allowed to play "arizona style (look ma, no defense)" for too long.
Torts is just trying to figure out how to "hide" him, Cates at center may be the answer, Couts would be better but . . .

There is zero reason to buy him out, if you have cap room, just b/c a player is overpaid doesn't mean they don't have value.
Flyers should clear out a lot of room the next two seasons, and they have no business even looking at expensive free agents.
Hayes is trying. Awesome. I thought Hayes didn't play Arizona style. He plays AV style, no? Didn't Hayes, AV, and you, talk about how Hayes was all raw and needed mentoring? Veteran presence? Wasn't he here to help with getting young players used to AV "style"? AV did wonders for Hayes, breaking through his young shell, turning him from a typical broheim into a 2 way player.

Shit, my B. Just realized I just got through the1st sentence.

Oh yea, next sentence. Torts is "hiding" Hayes. Good strategy. A better one would be not signing Hayes in the 1st place. Although Cates may be the answer. Just because it's never worked before...maybe, just maybe

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Except so far there isn't much evidence, Hayes is trying, he's just been allowed to play "arizona style (look ma, no defense)" for too long.
Torts is just trying to figure out how to "hide" him, Cates at center may be the answer, Couts would be better but . . .

There is zero reason to buy him out, if you have cap room, just b/c a player is overpaid doesn't mean they don't have value.
Flyers should clear out a lot of room the next two seasons, and they have no business even looking at expensive free agents.
So risto has value? Pretty sure we would have to pay to get rid of him

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hayes is trying. Awesome. I thought Hayes didn't play Arizona style. He plays AV style, no? Didn't Hayes, AV, and you, talk about how Hayes was all raw and needed mentoring? Veteran presence? Wasn't he here to help with getting young players used to AV "style"? AV did wonders for Hayes, breaking through his young shell, turning him from a typical broheim into a 2 way player.

Shit, my B. Just realized I just got through the1st sentence.

Oh yea, next sentence. Torts is "hiding" Hayes. Good strategy. A better one would be not signing Hayes in the 1st place. Although Cates may be the answer. Just because it's never worked before...maybe, just maybe

The "Arizona Style" remark is a weak shot at the fact that Arizona is trying to play modern hockey. Which kinda fails because they just won doing so, and the rest of the league using that style is stomping all over the Flyers as they desperately try to pretend they're destined to grind their way to the SCF to match up against the LA Kings of old.

Pointing and laughing at a playstyle being used by an equally bad team when the rest of the league is also using many of the same tricks to stomp our heads into mash is quite a decision.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kinda funny quotes in a story filed before the Arizona game:

Tortorella “always told me to attack and play my game and not sit back as much,” York said. “I’ve done that. I’ve brought my game to the other team instead of sitting back, and [I’m] trying to be a force offensively.”

Reactions: BernieParent

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Dom’s market value has Seeler as the most expensive Flyers defenseman at $3.7 mil. I don’t really love his charts; they seem too small sample recency heavy.

Dom just got a job offer from the Flyers though.
Hiring a guy that used analytics to show Seeler is the most valuable Flyers defenceman is extremely on brand.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Dom’s market value has Seeler as the most expensive Flyers defenseman at $3.7 mil. I don’t really love his charts; they seem too small sample recency heavy.

Seeler is also been the best defenseman on the Flyers per Evolving Hockey’s xGAR model, too… by a wide margin…

He has the 9th highest xGAR/60 in the league. They were talking about it on the last few podcasts as well.

Reactions: Magua

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
This franchise has the story arc of a colouring book.
1670934163985.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

As much as I want to make fun of the job Fletch has done, these charts don't seem right at all. Must be on too small a sample size.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Kinda funny quotes in a story filed before the Arizona game:

Tortorella “always told me to attack and play my game and not sit back as much,” York said. “I’ve done that. I’ve brought my game to the other team instead of sitting back, and [I’m] trying to be a force offensively.”
That's good to hear. I wish this message was consistent throughout the organization, which we know it wasn't.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hiring a guy that used analytics to show Seeler is the most valuable Flyers defenceman is extremely on brand.
I think any analytics would show that Seeler has been the most efficient and consistent defenseman.
I'm surprised at how well he's played, which shows what an anchor Yandle was last season.

Season xGF 49.52%, xGFrel +6.58 GF/GA 17-12
Seeler - Zamula 115 minutes xGF 41.19%, GF/GA 3/5
Seeler - Risto 107 minutes xGF 56.03% GF/GA 6/3
Seeler - Braun 74 minutes xGF 41.22% GF/GA 4/5
Seeler - TDA 43 minutes xGF 47.10% GF/GA 1/1

last 19 games xGF 53.87%, xGFrel +7.41 GF/GA 12/6
Seeler - Risto 96 minutes xGF 58.88% GF/GA 5/0
Seeler - Braun 55 minutes xGF 52.39% GF/GA 3/3
Seeler - TDA 41 minutes xGF 46.05% GF/GA 1/1
Seeler - Zamula 27 minutes xGF 38.54% GF/GA 2/2

Now Seeler is sheltered in the 3rd pair role, but still, everyone but Zamula plays better with him.
Seeler looks more comfortable as the LHD.
And I'm sure his performance would suffer if he was asked to be a top 4 D-man playing 20+ minutes a night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad