2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Tolvanen hasn't come close to living up to his post-draft expectations either.
I have no problem with Bellows, at worst he'll help LHV, 4 points in 4 games so far.
How often do these waiver wire 1st rd flogs turn it around?

MacEwen
Deslauriers
Willman
Braun
Bellows
Barratt
Hodgson
J. Cates
Brooks
Marody
Connauton
Belpedio

How many of these contracts are actually needed? There's 12 contracts here that are possibly redundant - in a season you don't exactly expect to compete, you're telling me you can't not sign or trade for 1 or 2 of these players to leave optionality in trades or waiver pick ups? Yes, some of these players are needed to fill out an AHL roster, but all of them? It's just so much slop with minimal upside.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The only thing about Tippett is he has Tools, specifically his skating, and his AHL production was substantially better as a younger player. But you're not going to see me disagreeing that Fletcher loves to operate using archetypes. There's absolutely zero nuance to how he evaluates players. Lineups to him are like recipes for pumpkin pie.

I don't think Katy Perry is up to much, so sure.

That's who that is? Lol. Even better.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Tolvanen hasn't come close to living up to his post-draft expectations either.
I have no problem with Bellows, at worst he'll help LHV, 4 points in 4 games so far.
How often do these waiver wire 1st rd flogs turn it around?

Tolvanen not coming close to living up to draft hype still makes him better than Bellows or a million of the other dopes Fletch overpaid/prioritized.

THIS is the guy Fletch claimed

THIS is the guy Fletch *didn't* claim

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
MacEwen
Deslauriers
Willman
Braun
Bellows
Barratt
Hodgson
J. Cates
Brooks
Marody
Connauton
Belpedio

How many of these contracts are actually needed? There's 12 contracts here that are possibly redundant - in a season you don't exactly expect to compete, you're telling me you can't not sign or trade for 1 or 2 of these players to leave optionality in trades or waiver pick ups? Yes, some of these players are needed to fill out an AHL roster, but all of them? It's just so much slop with minimal upside.
we still have connauton? hahahahahah

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Yeah his contract on the books next year too as Chuck gave him a two year deal coming off claiming him off waivers for god knows what reason.
1670886753003.png

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He would've done the same thing if he traded Risto at the deadline. Doesn't mean it wasn't the right move
The difference is Laughton is a useful player, who is paid appropriately and could be traded later, while Risto is a terrible player, with a cap hit at least twice as high as it should be who will have to be bought out or dumped with an asset.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure on credibility

View attachment 620560

I think he’s just speculating given everything that has gone on & the fact that no one will want that contract without a sweetener. I doubt they’d do it this off-season but the following if he’s still here I think it could be more feasible with just two years left.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They may well keep Hayes around another season if Cates can cover for him defensively.
Once JVR is traded at the TDL, what proven scorers does this team have, TK, Hayes, Farabee. That's it.
Some young players may become reliable scorers? But when? And whom?
Atkinson and Couts may return, may be close to their old selves, or may not.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's hard to believe Hayes should be bought out. There's no purpose extending the cap obligation further; cap space isn't even needed for a rebuild (well, uh, it shouldn't be ne-......oh, dear god). You gave out the contract, just lick the plate clean and accept it tastes like shit. If they think he's a locker room detriment, those are tears of laughter running down my cheek. But if there's a sucker GM out there not employed by the Philadelphia Flyers, then I guess that's a second door.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's hard to believe Hayes would be bought out. There's no purpose extending the cap obligation further; cap space isn't even needed for a rebuild (well, uh, it shouldn't be ne-......oh, dear god). You gave out the contract, just lick the plate clean and accept it tastes like shit. If there's a sucker GM out there not employed by the Philadelphia Flyers, then happy days.

Remember that the Cronies will still be in charge in a couple years and it will be a form of self-destructive tantrum, though. Like they're getting revenge on a Fletcher who will be a scapegoat by "humiliating" his star and chosen Franchise Face with a sack of guaranteed money.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It's hard to believe Hayes should be bought out. There's no purpose extending the cap obligation further; cap space isn't even needed for a rebuild (well, uh, it shouldn't be ne-......oh, dear god). You gave out the contract, just lick the plate clean and accept it tastes like shit. If they think he's a locker room detriment, those are tears of laughter running down my cheek. But if there's a sucker GM out there not employed by the Philadelphia Flyers, then I guess that's a second door.
Just because it makes no sense, doesn't make it hard to believe.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I think he’s just speculating given everything that has gone on & the fact that no one will want that contract without a sweetener. I doubt they’d do it this off-season but the following if he’s still here I think it could be more feasible with just two years left.
But why? No need for the cap space since this team ain't competing for years

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But why? No need for the cap space since this team ain't competing for years

I guess a scenario could present itself where the personal dynamics could call for a parting of ways given the likely brewing friction between Hayes & Tortorella.

This is pretty much why you don’t give players of Kevin Hayes’ caliber a contract like this in the first place because you often gonna find yourself in between a rock & hard place at some point before the thing ends.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I guess a scenario could present itself where the personal dynamics could call for a parting of ways given the likely brewing friction between Hayes & Tortorella.
Except so far there isn't much evidence, Hayes is trying, he's just been allowed to play "arizona style (look ma, no defense)" for too long.
Torts is just trying to figure out how to "hide" him, Cates at center may be the answer, Couts would be better but . . .

There is zero reason to buy him out, if you have cap room, just b/c a player is overpaid doesn't mean they don't have value.
Flyers should clear out a lot of room the next two seasons, and they have no business even looking at expensive free agents.

Reactions: Fotiu29

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

This is pretty much why you don’t give players of Kevin Hayes’ caliber a contract like this in the first place because you often gonna find yourself in between a rock & hard place at some point before the thing ends.
The organization would just blow the money on another Hayeslike player

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Except so far there isn't much evidence, Hayes is trying, he's just been allowed to play "arizona style (look ma, no defense)" for too long.
Torts is just trying to figure out how to "hide" him, Cates at center may be the answer, Couts would be better but . . .

There is zero reason to buy him out, if you have cap room, just b/c a player is overpaid doesn't mean they don't have value.
Flyers should clear out a lot of room the next two seasons, and they have no business even looking at expensive free agents.

Don't look now but those "no defense" Coyotes are just several good games from them and bad games from the Flyers away from being better defensively on the season. The gap isn't large at all.

Which is really sad considering Tortorella's focus is on defense. And so is all of Management's. Of course, as I outlined already, his defensive scheme is really easily exploited by a modern offense seeking to do more than bang perimeter shots because it isn't 2012 anymore. The problem with a defensive coach who has no idea how current offense works, is he has no prayer of successfully planning against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad