2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was going to mention this in a follow-up. I've been trying for the life of me to find this quote just now, but I couldn't. It was such a dazzling display of 1) poor internal understanding of your team's likely finish and 2) questionable internal valuation of picks in general. The 2nd rounder alone will likely be higher than 39. As I said #26, based on Luczyszyn's GSVA model, feels rich based on precedent. But it should be low 1st round pick value, period, for 2 absolutely pointless years of more negative on-ice impact. I'm skeptical they could even get a 2nd back in a trade.

Maybe they thought they'd be hitting ECF or SCF. Really, really thought it.

• Wow
Reactions: VladDrag and Magua

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I was going to mention this in a follow-up. I've been trying for the life of me to find this quote just now, but I couldn't. It was such a dazzling display of 1) poor internal understanding of your team's likely finish and 2) questionable internal valuation of picks in general. Think about where they'd have to finish for that value to even make sense. It's a tacit admission Fletcher was gunning for playoffs.

The 2nd rounder alone will likely be higher than 39. As I said #26, based on Luczyszyn's GSVA model, feels rich based on precedent. But it should be low 1st round pick value, period, for 2 absolutely pointless years of more negative on-ice impact. I'm skeptical they could even get a 2nd back in a trade.
I remember @JojoTheWhale was ripping the evaluation of 39 in the summer, I believe. And I believe it was along the same lines

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Present value really depends on how much you want to discount future picks. Generally you discount one round per year. I'm sure the league's biggest analytics department has a more sophisticated model though. :sarcasm:
What would you say a first round draft pick in a draft that when acquired could be three or four drafts away?

Pretty much the same value as the same year, right?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I remember @JojoTheWhale was ripping the evaluation of 39 in the summer, I believe. And I believe it was along the same lines

Present value really depends on how much you want to discount future picks. Generally you discount one round per year. I'm sure the league's biggest analytics department has a more sophisticated model though. :sarcasm:

Yeah, it’s really tough to nail these down because how you value the time delay is going to vary wildly. But in this case, 39 is impossible. There’s only one way it makes any sense whatsoever.

magic-johnson-im-not-gonna-be-here.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I really like what York brings so I don’t worry too much about CC. It’s shameful that they buried him for two months.

Honestly it's probably the best value-grabbing move Chuck has ever done, so I basically never bring up the Caufield thing, but since we were piling on I felt like mentioning it

Reactions: Curufinwe

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I really like what York brings so I don’t worry too much about CC. It’s shameful that they buried him for two months.

I thought York was good yesterday - I hope I'm not being too much of a homer. But he was a bright spot for me.

I also don't worry about CC for the same reason. I loved York with the USA youth teams

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Can the club send Ristolainen down to LHV? Let him work out his kinks down there rather than screwing things up in Philly. No need to worry about him getting claimed. No team would do that with the contract that he has. If they do, so what? Addition by subtraction.

Well, it may tank his "value" or whatever is left of it

Not that Fletch would trade him

Reactions: BiggE

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Hey you guys remember when we didn't draft Cole Caufield?

Good times, good times
CC would be in thr AHL grinding in corners and peeling potatoes too toughen up his hands if he was in the Flyers organization.

My brother is a Habs fan and keeps bugging me about CC and I can't stress to him enough that I don't care because I know that type of player would never find success in the Flyers organization.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can the club send Ristolainen down to LHV? Let him work out his kinks down there rather than screwing things up in Philly. No need to worry about him getting claimed. No team would do that with the contract that he has. If they do, so what? Addition by subtraction.

He doesn't have "kinks" that can be corrected. He's simply a dogshit Hockey player.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
and have Fletch be the laffing stock of the league outright instead of snickered at behind closed doors ?

Flutch will never admit his bromance over Fisto has been a massive disaster

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I am giddy at the notion that Torts can't fix Risto, so it's time to let Lappy have a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad