2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
giphy.webp

On a few levels.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
As long as the Flyers thought they were competing, why would they trade Laughton, the contract was a great deal.
And he can still be traded for about the same or more value, b/c his contract is below market value.

Risto was the lost opportunity, but that meant they were rebuilding and we know that's a curse word to the FO.

A pick in the 30s is not equivalent to a pick in the 20s, which is still far less value than a pick in the teens.
Value falls very quickly in the draft between #20 and #30+, then at a much slower rate.
The TDA 2024 2nd will probably end up in the 40s.
Weird, it’s almost like you can use those early 30 picks in a package to trade up if you really want to.

You, of course, know this but…

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The value of a pick in a trade is the value of drafting a player at that position, duh.
And how about multiple draft picks? The point was, I've heard time after time things like, who were you going to get at #x?, when defending Chuck throwing away draft picks. As if that drafted player is the only option for getting value out of it.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Not sure where exactly to put this - definitely not listening to these guys for any insight or talk about the team but they have some good stories about previous players/teams.

what was a great bit of Lavi info.. hahaah...

RIP coke machine... #legend

He's going to have more personality at least.

6a0120a6dde087970b014e88101c05970d-pi

His current wife I think, was a flight surgeon for the US army. Deece looking.
Briere looks completly hammered..

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
You live in fantasy land. There's general parameters that govern trades (comparables).

Sanheim would not garner you anything close to Seth Jones, for example, he's been a second pair D-man, never among the league leaders in scoring, some obvious defensive limitations.

He would get you value, but nothing close to the upside of a 26 year old on a $6M contract for a rebuilding team - since D-men tend to retain close to full value until 32, he's a good anchor player.

Lindholm got a 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, 2024 2nd and Vaakanainen (#18 2017 but pretty much a flop when he was traded).
Skjei got a 1st rd pick.
So 2023 1st, 2024 2nd and one other asset would probably be the best you could have gotten for Sanheim at the TDL.
that's i mean, the fanbase overrates everyone on this roster that they we are going to get a first round pick for everyone, it's not possible, the only player on this team that will probably get a great haul from is carter hart because of his health and playing at a high level, everyone else's value is probably going to get second round type of value back, no one is going to give away top 5 guys, picks for any of these players because of how they are playing.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You live in fantasy land. There's general parameters that govern trades (comparables).

Sanheim would not garner you anything close to Seth Jones, for example, he's been a second pair D-man, never among the league leaders in scoring, some obvious defensive limitations.

He would get you value, but nothing close to the upside of a 26 year old on a $6M contract for a rebuilding team - since D-men tend to retain close to full value until 32, he's a good anchor player.

Lindholm got a 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, 2024 2nd and Vaakanainen (#18 2017 but pretty much a flop when he was traded).
Skjei got a 1st rd pick.
So 2023 1st, 2024 2nd and one other asset would probably be the best you could have gotten for Sanheim at the TDL.

Again, only Fletcher could fail to successfully sell Sanheim.

You're defending a failure with more zeal than the average zealot defends their religion. I don't understand why.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
that's i mean, the fanbase overrates everyone on this roster that they we are going to get a first round pick for everyone, it's not possible, the only player on this team that will probably get a great haul from is carter hart because of his health and playing at a high level, everyone else's value is probably going to get second round type of value back, no one is going to give away top 5 guys, picks for any of these players because of how they are playing.

Actually nobody does this.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I chuckled at: "The TDA 2024 2nd will probably end up in the 40s." Yes, I definitely see this team currently picking in the mid-30s trending up next season.

First off, the Flyers traded the likely equivalent value of pick #26 for DeAngelo, if we use a recent value chart courtesy of the Athletic -- it was a 2nd, 3rd (likely not ours), and 4th (#101). It wasn't a 2nd rounder alone. We know how delusional the Flyers are as well, so Fletcher probably thought he was trading something like #48.

They traded ~7th overall value for Ristolainen, with another mid-30s pick going out this summer. Add in the Ghost 36th overall (trading futures 1 year out and being surprised they're so high is a theme) and we're talking ~4th overall. Add in DeAngelo, and it's ~2nd overall value. Now, that cannot be a direct comparison in an NHL draft world where top 5-10 picks don't actually get traded, let alone for sheer quantity, (these values based on GSVA feel a touch generous), so it's more theoretical, but it's gobsmacking how much raw value the Flyers gave up to get worse going from Ghost+ELC to re-signed DeAngelo+Risto.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I chuckled at: "The TDA 2024 2nd will probably end up in the 40s." Yes, I definitely see this team currently picking in the mid-30s trending up next season.

First off, the Flyers traded the likely equivalent value of pick #25 for DeAngelo, if we use a recent value chart courtesy of the Athletic -- it was a 2nd, 3rd (likely not ours), and 4th (#101). It wasn't a 2nd rounder alone. We know how delusional the Flyers are as well, so Fletcher probably thought he was trading something like #48.

They traded ~7th overall value for Ristolainen, with another mid-30s pick going out this summer. Add in the Ghost 36th overall (trading futures 1 year out and being surprised they're so high is a theme) and we're talking ~4th overall. Add in DeAngelo, and it's ~2nd overall value. Now, that cannot be a direct comparison in an NHL draft world where these top 10 picks don't actually get traded, so it's more theoretical, but it's gobsmacking how much raw value the Flyers gave up to get worse going from Ghost+ELC to re-signed DeAngelo+Risto.

Only one part of this is a bit of a mistake though. Everything else is fine. Doesn't matter!

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

First off, the Flyers traded the likely equivalent value of pick #25 for DeAngelo, if we use a recent value chart courtesy of the Athletic -- it was a 2nd, 3rd (likely not ours), and 4th (#101). It wasn't a 2nd rounder alone. We know how delusional the Flyers are as well, so Fletcher probably thought he was trading something like #48.

They traded ~7th overall value for Ristolainen, with another mid-30s pick going out this summer. Add in the Ghost 36th overall (trading futures 1 year out and being surprised they're so high is a theme) and we're talking ~4th overall. Add in DeAngelo, and it's ~2nd overall value. Now, that cannot be a direct comparison in an NHL draft world where these top 10 picks don't actually get traded, so it's more theoretical, but it's gobsmacking how much raw value the Flyers gave up to get worse going from Ghost+ELC to re-signed DeAngelo+Risto.
He said during the presser they valued the draft pick package as 39, I am fairly certain.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

First off, the Flyers traded the likely equivalent value of pick #26 for DeAngelo, if we use a recent value chart courtesy of the Athletic -- it was a 2nd, 3rd (likely not ours), and 4th (#101). It wasn't a 2nd rounder alone. We know how delusional the Flyers are as well, so Fletcher probably thought he was trading something like #48.

They traded ~7th overall value for Ristolainen, with another mid-30s pick going out this summer. Add in the Ghost 36th overall (trading futures 1 year out and being surprised they're so high is a theme) and we're talking ~4th overall. Add in DeAngelo, and it's ~2nd overall value. Now, that cannot be a direct comparison in an NHL draft world where top 5-10 picks don't actually get traded, let alone for sheer quantity, (these values based on GSVA feel a touch generous), so it's more theoretical, but it's gobsmacking how much raw value the Flyers gave up to get worse going from Ghost+ELC to re-signed DeAngelo+Risto.

Duh? DUH! It's really not rocket science.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He said during the presser they valued the draft pick package as 39, I am fairly certain.

I was going to mention this in a follow-up. I've been trying for the life of me to find this quote just now, but I couldn't. It was such a dazzling display of 1) poor internal understanding of your team's likely finish and 2) questionable internal valuation of picks in general. Think about where they'd have to finish for that value to even make sense. It's a tacit admission Fletcher was gunning for playoffs.

The 2nd rounder alone will likely be higher than 39. As I said #26, based on Luczyszyn's GSVA model, feels rich based on precedent. But it should be low 1st round pick value, period, for 2 absolutely pointless years of more negative on-ice impact. I'm skeptical they could even get a 2nd back in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad