2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Former flyers scout and assistant coach Kevin McCarthy is a known commodity within the organization so he'd fit on the crony chart fine and has shown himself to be much more forward thinking. That's without even looking outside of the former flyers checklist. It's disgusting that someone has been aloud to be so incompetent for so long. It's not a big enough name to appease casual fans but if I were Fletcher he's the first head to roll

When you look at the level of failure the Flyers have demonstrated vs the level of management accountability it's pretty stupid.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I crapped on Hextall when he was a GM because of some of his moves and odd stances on diet/etc.

Hextall at least had the moxie to keep the cronies in the dark because clearly they like to have some influence on the GM. Still. Fletcher is an idiot none the less for allowing it.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Still waiting for Tyson Foerster to get a call up. For a guy who apparently can't skate, he seems to have no problems keeping up with the play in the number of games that I've watched this year.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I love this strategy of yours.

Hextall did some wrong things, Fletcher did some (more) wrong things - so who cares and they're equal I guess.

No, Fletcher is much worse than Hextall. He's a net-negative and it's not even close who is total garbage at their job.
what was the right things Flusher did?

nIsky for Gudas he gets a plus.
Wisdom trade probably good
Desnoyers ditto
what else?

If u say Braun trade, then use common sense. Would you rather have drafted Boldy at 11 and use the 2nd and 3rd picks to trade up for Brink(u probably may have had to add another pick say a 4 or 5). Or so do u prefer the combo of Braun, York, and Brink? At best its a C- trade

Ghost trade f

Fisto trade f

Deangelo trade at best d, reality d-/f for a team needs the picks to rebuild

G for Tippett and a 1st down the road. It seems like G hamstrung Flusher. So how can u rate the trade properly? b-/c+? meh trade?

jake for cam its putting a new paint job on pool chairs at the titanic. a nothing trade that added another year of cap headache to whomever takes over a c trade if there ever was a c trade.

Ellis trade f. Talent wise the trade was correct. The question becomes did Flusher know the medicals and ignore them or are flyers doctors stupid? Or flusher just unlucky for those that lick Flusher feet.

Gus signing F lots of suxatude

Nate signing/trade f uber suxatude

Grant d trade but really is so much more AV's misuse that Flusher's mis trade. Grant 4c 8 min a night was fine. Grant at 3c or 4w as Barzal shutdown defender had no shot of working.

Hartman for Pitlick at best D. Now under AV Hartman would have never developed into a 60+ point player. And Pitlick had a an ok 4w season. But it is still fugly trade no matter how u look at it.

Trading down for York is a d at best. Boldy or Caufield (especially on the second go round) was better and obvious choices

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
And so it begins! The medias is coming at Cucky! I think its not long anymore! Stupid f***ers! All of them!
Said no one on hfboards before.

Or pretty much everyone at the ada trade who had an iq over 80

What is the longest streak a Flyers player has ever gone without a point?
Manderville went 122 games without a goal (not all flyers).

But Risto is special as he doesn't even have a point.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Konecny, I guess

I imagine his value today, if you believe he’s a true 70-80 point player, is probably still similar to when he was a ~25 goal, 50 point guy on his ELC, given control. Maybe it peaked in Fletcher’s first full season in 19-20, but it’s scary to think he’s only under contract for 2.5 more years.

As for Konecny and Fletcher, I always love this tidbit when he was suffering from a low shooting %:

Chuck is so brilliant to have almost sold low on Konecny and deciding otherwise.:laugh:

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Are we so sure the Niskanen deal was a clear plus? Feels a little like Niskanen died at 27 and everyone forgot the last album (playoffs). Gudas is still chugging along, although he's certainly not started well this year.

Feels like a thoroughly average trade to me tbh. Not particularly good nor bad.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I imagine his value today, if you believe he’s a true 70-80 point player, is probably still similar to when he was a ~25 goal, 50 point guy on his ELC, given control. Maybe it peaked in Fletcher’s first full season in 19-20, but it’s scary to think he’s only under contract for 2.5 more years.

As for Konecny and Fletcher, I always love this tidbit when he was suffering from a low shooting %:

Chuck is so brilliant to have almost sold low on Konecny and deciding otherwise.:laugh:

Sounds like some condescending, put the fear of God into him bullshit. I hate the people who run this team. And this from someone who is not always opposed to some old school "tough love" in some situations. These guys are just idiots.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are we so sure the Niskanen deal was a clear plus? Feels a little like Niskanen died at 27 and everyone forgot the last album (playoffs). Gudas is still chugging along, although he's certainly not started well this year.

I've already had this argument a few times.

The trade gets overrated because Niskanen had a fluke rebound for a short while and nobody remembers him playing like shit later on.

At the time the trade was questionable and now with hindsight we'd have been better off with keeping Gudas. And just in general, Niskanen is overrated and Gudas is severely underrated by this fanbase. If you asked the average Flyers fan, and even many on here, the latter is a Risto/Hagg level player.

The Braun trade was shit too. And both trades are even worse when considering that EXACTLY what I feared and predicted happened, with the superior player in Ghost getting f***ed over and buried to accommodate those two old f***s.

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Do rebuilding teams sign 34 year old players for the farm?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I've already had this argument a few times.

The trade gets overrated because Niskanen had a fluke rebound for a short while and nobody remembers him playing like shit later on.

At the time the trade was questionable and now with hindsight we'd have been better off with keeping Gudas. And just in general, Niskanen is overrated and Gudas is severely underrated by this fanbase. If you asked the average Flyers fan, and even many on here, the latter is a Risto/Hagg level player.

The Braun trade was shit too. And both trades are even worse when considering that EXACTLY what I feared and predicted happened, with the superior player in Ghost getting f***ed over and buried to accommodate those two old f***s.
Gudas is a physical RH dman, just like what the contrarians say Fisto was and had inflated value for.

The fact Charles paid a premium for bringing one in and got meh to medium value on sending one out conveniently gets left out of the contrarian mythos that is Schmuck.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gudas is a physical RH dman, just like what the contrarians say Fisto was and had inflated value for.

The fact Charles paid a premium for bringing one in and got meh to medium value on sending one out conveniently gets left out of the contrarian mythos that is Schmuck.
Exactly.

Just like with the Ghost/Yandle/TDA situation: Chuck doesn't understand what he has, gets rid of it, panics and realizes he needs it, and then MASSIVELY overpays for a far worse version. :laugh:

Gudas was a physical defensemen who could actually play hockey and have a positive impact, unlike Risto's completely detrimental ass. And yet somehow the guys who fetishize that exact type of player can't see his value??? Mindblowing.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Niskanen got a huge break from virus. His body could have broken down sooner if he had to play 75-80 games before playoffs. But reg season he looked excellent, post season looked meh, and committed one mind numbingly stupid play costing him a game in playoffs. Also its the last time Provorov would remotely look like a top pairing d-man. What credit u give to Niskanen for lifting up Provorov's game and what blame you give to Provorov for falling the last 3 years? You decide. Its not a 100% 0% issue.

Not saying its an a+ trade but its a good trade. Easily the best of Flusher's tenure. And if that trade was best it does show how bad Flusher is,

Why people think one year, 3.8m cap space for a no 5 d-man Braun for one year contract is worth a 2 and 3 is beyond me. Braun's best attribute is he isn't a total screw up. Which is better than Hagg or Yandle. But it doesn't make him good.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Are you sure about that?

Remember what they think about those two.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The thing about the Niskanen (and Braun) trade is it showcased an early recurring pattern for Fletcher: high risk, high cost turnarounds. Niskanen, although he had legitimate hope for a bounce back with his Capitals 2nd half splits, ended up a 1 year (very good) stopgap for a bubble team. Best case, 2 years. I’ll apparently be a septuagenarian before Braun is off this team, and while he has mostly equipped himself “fine,” he was coming off some rough seasons with the Sharks. Neither were spring chickens.

So, Fletcher needed to replace Niskanen, and 1 year later, lo and behold, the Ellis trade. Talent-wise, there was no issue, but they assumed a 6 year x $6.25MM AAV contract with injury history. The details of a likely degenerative core issue escape all of us, and it’s an outcome for which I don’t go out of my way to blame Fletcher, but it’s unlikely that was a sudden spring training issue.

Super young developing prospect Ristolainen again fits the high risk, high cost mold. All of this is directly linked to Niskanen retiring and desperately acquiring RDs. Now, this off-season, we have DeAngelo. Stopgaps aren’t bad in theory and situationally. But no long term, surefire move was actually made to fill a hole. So, you have lots of assets, lots of dollars, and lots of risk in place of that, with no needle moving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad