2022/23 Roster Thread XIII: Where the 13th Floor Has Been Located

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The ownership question is tricky. On one hand, a hands off approach and deep pockets are very good and if that wasn't here we'd miss it quickly. However, at some point ownership needs to realize the situation they are in and what is needed to fix it. As time goes on their blame only increases for letting this fester

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Corporate vs private is more bullshit that people like to say to make themselves sound smart. The person in charge and the money behind the org determine what people want to see happen.

Awful lot of people angry with a marketing team. Not everything has to be for you.

The well-run MiLB teams have historically done a much better job of marketing themselves than NHL teams while we're at it. Those orgs have to in order to survive.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The majority of the problem starts above Chuck Fletcher...above Dave Scott even. Comcast put Dave Scott in charge of running the team, and he's running it alright...right into the ground. You have a guy who has no passion or even ties to hockey to oversee an iconic franchise who really ran on Heart/Soul decisions rather then on Intelligence when Snider ran the team. Dave Scott is a financial guy...former CFO of Comcast Cable in 2000's is his claim to fame...should have known he was a loser with that alone.

It's also mind boggling that as a financial guy, he doesn't see the opportunity in front of him to make a ton of money by instilling winning culture and pride back into the team. You won't need any Gimmicks, Gritty, or bullshit that isn't the product on the ice, when they are winning.

If you can get this team successful again you just run it on auto pilot. Fans will show up, spend money, and sell out every game again...but these clowns in charge don't get it.

With Scott planning to retire and hand the reigns over to Valerie Camillo, the primary person who is running these gimmicks, marketing bullshit, that really comes off as minor league baseball like, and not focusing on the product on the ice...the future looks even darker in that aspect. You are constantly reacting to drops in attendance and disinterest.

I agree with Frank...the org needs to bottom out and be sold to private ownership.
It’s not their fault that they don’t have a team or players to market. They’re working with what they have so that’s why we’re getting the gimmicks. They need to adapt to survive because no one is paying to come see this team.

The business side of the Flyers and the hockey ops are two separate entities. One deserves scorched earth ridicule and the other can be criticized for execution but at least they’re trying.

Just imagine waking up every day and having your job be to try and get people to watch or attend games while the group of people that are putting together the product on the ice shit in their hands.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Dave Scott was actually hand picked by Snider to be his successor. So it’s not like he was just some random higher up in Comcast that they just suddenly inserted in there after Snider passed. He was being groomed to take over that role.

I think that in part is why he’s so loyal to the Bullies. Obviously the other part being he’s incompetent too.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I really don't think people understand how much money Gritty has made them.

Gritty is a gold mine. If the team wasn't crap, he'd be universally loved on these boards.

I've seen Gritty on TV more than any other mascot in the last 5 years. Late night talk shows, Family Guy parody, WWE,.. and that's not counting his traction on social media. That's absurd.

Gritty is our Baby Yoda

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Out of how many? Your odds of a top 6/top 4 player
#1-5: about 72%
#6-15: about 34%
#16-25: about 23%
#26-30: about 18%
2nd rd: about 10% (pretty flat until around #55)

This is also why trading for 1st rd picks doesn't jump start a rebuild, since most of those picks are in the 20s, you might land 1 top starter and a couple depth guys out of 3-4 1st rd picks.

Really? This makes no sense. If there is limited chance for a great player, then trading for more picks to maximize your chances of getting good players is exactly how you jumpstart a rebuild.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Really? This makes no sense. If there is limited chance for a great player, then trading for more picks to maximize your chances of getting good players is exactly how you jumpstart a rebuild.
You know what isn't the best way to jumpstart a rebuild?

Trading picks for the Ristos of the world while then giving them a fat pay day and trading a high pick to get rid of the same player you've now attempted to replace twice where one you sent out more high picks.

Great success, much praise.

Oh wait, I forgot all of that was PRE God King Torts who etched into a stone that this is a rebuild for all to see. Everything is just groovy now.

I also forgot that those shitty contracts don't matter because the team isn't going to be competing anytime soon. Some real loopy logic behind that one.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Brian Roberts, the CEO of Comcast, is a Philly born and raised guy. For all that we know, he may have been a Flyers fan growing up.
The club should be a money maker. Unless there is some compelling reason to sell it and the WFC, Comcast will most likely stay with them. Roberts is no dummy. If the Flyers are an embarrassment to the business, which they are, I suspect that he will step in and roll some heads in the not too distant future.
The reasons for the present failure of the club are obvious. So too are the solutions to rectify the situation. Need new blood at the top of the hockey ops.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It starts at the top, replace Scott with an executive who has a basic understanding (or willing to put the work in ) of the NHL and who has good management skills.

Hire a new President and GM but also do a thorough review of scouts, development people etc., weed out those who should have been put out to pasture and those blatantly incompetent. Tell the advisors they're welcome to sit in Comcast's box and watch games, but their services are no longer needed as the team is going to hire people who don't need advisors.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Interesting that Hayes is moved to wing, Torts is really running a full-time audition.
Sedlak earned a shot at playing up in the lineup, of course he's no more a 2C than Frost is a 1C, but he has played well.
Cates is in the role he should be, as the center of a defensive oriented "energy" line.
Poor Laczynski, gets to play center but has to drag Willman and Brown around.

This all changes by January with everyone back, and now it looks like Atkinson as well.
But I can't see how Hayes can stay at wing without better centers, I don't think Sedlak will last in the top 6.

JVR - Hayes - Atkinson
Bellows - Frost - Tippett
Farabee - Cates - TK
Deslauriers - Sedlak - Laczynski/Allison

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There comes a time where ownership starts to be at blame here. The fact that Dave Scott hasn't been replaced at this point with where the organization is is pathetic. As time goes by and with the rumors that have been going on of Dave Scott retiring at some point in the very near future it just smells of corporate bureaucracy. They're allowing their good soldier to ride off into the sunset instead of an unceremonious departure and the team and the fanbase are the ones that are punished.

No Dave Scott is not the one that makes the day to day decisions but when the product is this bad and embarrassing to the brand SOMETHING needs to happen.

It's going to get worse...trust me...Val Camillo is being groomed to replace Scott. She is going to be the owner of the Flyers.

Edit: Danko beat me to it

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's going to get worse...trust me...Val Camillo is being groomed to replace Scott. She is going to be the owner of the Flyers.

Edit: Danko beat me to it
What exactly does Val Camillo do that you dislike?

A good portion of the fanbase doesn't like her because Chris Therien is butthurt that he was fired so he goes on his vendetta against her specifically. She's seemingly this mythical ghoul to the Flyers fanbase.

I know you know this but Comcast Spectacor owns the Flyers, Dave Scott does not and Val Camillo won't either.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't know enough about Camillo to have an opinion, but if she's primarily marketing, it would be a "Peter principle" promotion.
If she actually knows enough to lead the search for new leadership, then she's a good choice.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Don't know enough about Camillo to have an opinion, but if she's primarily marketing, it would be a "Peter principle" promotion.
If she actually knows enough to lead the search for new leadership, then she's a good choice.
She's pretty much all marketing. She came from the Nationals where she was the CMO and before that she was in marketing with the NBA.

She also pushed Briere to go to Wharton to learn about the business side of sport so basically she's been grooming him. Do what you want with that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad