2022/23 Roster Thread XIII: Where the 13th Floor Has Been Located

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Out of how many? Your odds of a top 6/top 4 player
#1-5: about 72%
#6-15: about 34%
#16-25: about 23%
#26-30: about 18%
2nd rd: about 10% (pretty flat until around #55)

This is also why trading for 1st rd picks doesn't jump start a rebuild, since most of those picks are in the 20s, you might land 1 top starter and a couple depth guys out of 3-4 1st rd picks.

It sounds like you are making the case that 1st round picks *do* jump start a rebuild. The more you have, the more you are putting odds in your favour that you can find 1 or 2 top starters.

You can't win if you don't have any picks.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't think people understand how much money Gritty has made them.

A lot of hockey fans live so far in that bubble they don’t really understand things on the outside. They don’t really understand that just because a marketing ploy isn’t really intended for them that doesn’t mean it was successful. As you said Gritty was probably the most successful mainstream marketing campaign not just for the Flyers but the NHL probably in decades.

There’s a strong correlation between these types & the types that complain that the national media here in the US doesn’t give the NHL the attention the other major sports leagues get. Every time the NHL & its teams try to do something different to reach broader audiences these people bitch & gate keep that it isn’t what hockey’s about. Maybe hockey will just always be niche in the US no matter what they do but the current ways of doing things isn’t changing that for sure.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, despite playing a lineup that's half AHL players, last 12 games:

CF 49.69, xGF 48.84 (SVA), GF/GA 23/26.
22nd in xGF, which isn't bad given they're playing with literally their two two lines on IR (Atkinson, TK, JVR, Laughton).

Reason I dismiss the first ten games, it's obvious they were struggling implementing the new schemes even with a healthier lineup.

1669658144114.png

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well, despite playing a lineup that's half AHL players, last 12 games:

CF 49.69, xGF 48.84 (SVA), GF/GA 23/26.
22nd in xGF, which isn't bad given they're playing with literally their two two lines on IR (Atkinson, TK, JVR, Laughton).

Reason I dismiss the first ten games, it's obvious they were struggling implementing the new schemes even with a healthier lineup.

View attachment 613934
The reason you dismiss the first ten games is because they make the team look bad and we can't have that. At least be honest about that.

Maybe Tortorella should have actually done something in training camp with regards to systems then? But then again, there's six or seven people in the lineup now that weren't there at the start of the season and several of them weren't even in the franchise so I find it hard to believe that the "learned the systems" is the reason for it.

It's more likely that they just regressed to the mean after being historically bad to start the season.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bellows earned a second shot, I see no reason not to play him along with Frost and Tippett.
They're all 23, they've got enough experience you shouldn't worry about them being overmatched - since that merely tells you they're not that good, not that they're not NHL ready.

I have no problem with these players, or Allison, Laczynski, MacEwen, N Cates being asked to "sink or swim."
At some point you're no longer a "promising prospect" but a NHL player (or not).
I'd put Lycksell in the same boat, and Ginning next season (with 230 SHL games, he doesn't need 3 years in the AHL).
If you're 23 or older, with 200+ professional/college games, there's not much "adjustment" left.

So they'd be my priorities this season, find out who is a NHL player and it what role.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The reason you dismiss the first ten games is because they make the team look bad and we can't have that. At least be honest about that.

Maybe Tortorella should have actually done something in training camp with regards to systems then?
Like what? Dump the kids early so he could spend camp practicing and playing his schemes with his veteran players so they could start hot?
He ran a camp similar to NFL exhibition games where you play kids with vanilla schemes so you can evaluate their raw talent.

It's obvious that they were struggling the first ten games, then the light went on (before all the good players went out).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like what? Dump the kids early so he could spend camp practicing and playing his schemes with his veteran players so they could start hot?
He ran a camp similar to NFL exhibition games where you play kids with vanilla schemes so you can evaluate their raw talent.

It's obvious that they were struggling the first ten games, then the light went on (before all the good players went out).

He dumped as many of the kids as he could anyway. There would be even fewer or none if not for injuries.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What exactly does Val Camillo do that you dislike?

A good portion of the fanbase doesn't like her because Chris Therien is butthurt that he was fired so he goes on his vendetta against her specifically. She's seemingly this mythical ghoul to the Flyers fanbase.

I know you know this but Comcast Spectacor owns the Flyers, Dave Scott does not and Val Camillo won't either.

Exists.

• Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
A lot of hockey fans live so far in that bubble they don’t really understand things on the outside. They don’t really understand that just because a marketing ploy isn’t really intended for them that doesn’t mean it was successful. As you said Gritty was probably the most successful mainstream marketing campaign not just for the Flyers but the NHL probably in decades.

There’s a strong correlation between these types & the types that complain that the national media here in the US doesn’t give the NHL the attention the other major sports leagues get. Every time the NHL & its teams try to do something different to reach broader audiences these people bitch & gate keep that it isn’t what hockey’s about. Maybe hockey will just always be niche in the US no matter what they do but the current ways of doing things isn’t changing that for sure.
Yup it’s really old school ways of thinking. People are already starting to hate on zegras too now. God forbid guys have a personality lol

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yup it’s really old school ways of thinking. People are already starting to hate on zegras too now. God forbid guys have a personality lol
Starting?!

"I'm not trying to be a fool here, I'm just not so sure it's great for the game," Tortorella said Friday. "If you did that back in the 2000s, late '90s, you would get your head taken off. It's cool; it's cool to watch and all that, but I'm not so sure it's good for the game. And I stand by that."

Our coach did it before it was cool.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The vultures are circling the corpse. If this string goes for two more weeks, which is possible, I don’t see how Fletcher/Flahr survive. Their ineptitude is too obvious to hide. They’ll say injuries caused this but that isn’t it. Roster construction and development are. Excuses are for losers.
The only thing I can say in their defense is that while outwardly they have been claiming they are not tanking, if they know internally that this season was intentionally booted then their ineptitude won't matter, and in fact would be appreciated. That being said, the moves they made clearly seem to indicate they thought they could muster up a playoff run.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad