2022/23 Roster Thread XIII: Where the 13th Floor Has Been Located

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They're missing, what, 7 key players from the lineup? 8 if TDA is out?

And most of their other players suck and can't step into higher roles?

Well, what do you think is going to happen?

They're going to lose unless their goalie steals it.

Reactions: YP44

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Starting?!

Our coach did it before it was cool.

That quote is really so damning about how out of touch he is with the state of the game. The era of the Big Hit is dead and gone. Rules changes to slash concussions have seen to that at all levels. Thanks to that, players can spend time learning how to play with skill instead of just protecting themselves every second of every shift.

Tortorella doesn't get that. He doesn't understand it. He doesn't even realize/accept it has happened. There's no reason to believe he can accept and embrace skill and get out of its way when it flabbergasts him and thinks it doesn't belong because it once got punished with league and official blessing. When he sees skilled plays he sees acts that he still thinks will inevitably get a player smeared across the ice; probably believes they deserve to be smeared as a deterrent. But that isn't how the sport works anymore.

I guarantee the Cronyarchy sees things the exact same way. The sport has left them all in the dust.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Interesting that Hayes is moved to wing, Torts is really running a full-time audition.
Sedlak earned a shot at playing up in the lineup, of course he's no more a 2C than Frost is a 1C, but he has played well.
Cates is in the role he should be, as the center of a defensive oriented "energy" line.
Poor Laczynski, gets to play center but has to drag Willman and Brown around.

This all changes by January with everyone back, and now it looks like Atkinson as well.
But I can't see how Hayes can stay at wing without better centers, I don't think Sedlak will last in the top 6.

JVR - Hayes - Atkinson
Bellows - Frost - Tippett
Farabee - Cates - TK
Deslauriers - Sedlak - Laczynski/Allison
Bellows on the second line ? Do you even read the crap you post . Bellows who has 0 points this year with us and was let go for nothing by the Islanders . He has played a little bit better the last couple games but has done nothing to warrant a spot anywhere other than LV .

You use to post Rubtsov was coming up cause he had a decent couple games then Susko and the list goes on . Heck you post Wisdom is coming up this spring , you know Wisdom who has not scored a goal yet this year . Ratcliffe , Hodgson , Hogberg and the list goes on of players that are NOT NHL players and you keep pumping their tires . Give it a rest already .

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Bellows on the second line ? Do you even read the crap you post . Bellows who has 0 points this year with us and was let go for nothing by the Islanders . He has played a little bit better the last couple games but has done nothing to warrant a spot anywhere other than LV .

You use to post Rubtsov was coming up cause he had a decent couple games then Susko and the list goes on . Heck you post Wisdom is coming up this spring , you know Wisdom who has not scored a goal yet this year . Ratcliffe , Hodgson , Hogberg and the list goes on of players that are NOT NHL players and you keep pumping their tires . Give it a rest already .
Just a week or so ago he was casting Bellows aside and now that Torts has decided to showcase him and move him up it must be defended.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
It's still an awful team when healthy. Their ceiling is about 25th place. You get those 7 players back, and then what? Half the roster is still trash.
Yup, prior to the season I said that if every player other than Ellis (he’s dead after all) stayed healthy this was at best a 75-80 point team. Now? They won’t break 55 points and should be in a dog fight with Arizona, Chicago, Anaheim and Columbus for dead last.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They were a train wreck to start the season and before the last week's rash of injuries, and they were only missing Atkinson and Couturier (*giggle* I forgot *chortle* Ristolainen). Atkinson is a nice 33 year old middle 6 player. Couturier is the only irreplaceable player that has been out all season. We already know what this roster, mostly healthy, looks like without just Couturier: see last season, including a 6-16 finish.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
My point is exactly that...you would not need the marketing crap if you had a truly competitive hockey team. Philly just wants a winner. Look at the Eagles, The Phillies, The 76ers...once you start winning you will sell out, your mascot becomes swoop/franklin like and your not doing all of advertising on that.

Admittedly im not in the organization to see first hand what Val is doing, a lot of my lament stems from the articles that i've read by ASF, Podcasts, Therien, and Interviews/Quotes with her. Believe me, I know that Therien is angry at the organization and I see him as sort of a CNN/News Max where they take things to the extreme.

Other writers, town hall transcripts, and interviews that I've read with her really rub me the wrong way. Regardless of all the stuff that i've read...i can tell you the in arena experience was really bad for several years since she took control. I've only been to two games this season but i admit it is a bit better, so they must have taken complaints into consideration finally and made some improvements in certain areas.

My point is that whomever takes control, needs to have there own agenda and game plan, not rely on the current brain trust and they need to have some level of passion to rekindle the relationship of the team with the city. I don't see a big corporate such as comcast implanting that type of person to oversee the organization.

Dave Scott overseas Comcast Spectactor which manages arenas, live events, concessions and several other teams, it's a big corp. I think we are used to the primary focus always being the flyers, now it seem as if Dave is absent, doesn't care or get involved and is leaving everything to Chuck and Valerie to handle...Chuck is the President and GM, he's not going to fire himself.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Bellows earned a second shot, I see no reason not to play him along with Frost and Tippett.
They're all 23, they've got enough experience you shouldn't worry about them being overmatched - since that merely tells you they're not that good, not that they're not NHL ready.

I have no problem with these players, or Allison, Laczynski, MacEwen, N Cates being asked to "sink or swim."
At some point you're no longer a "promising prospect" but a NHL player (or not).
I'd put Lycksell in the same boat, and Ginning next season (with 230 SHL games, he doesn't need 3 years in the AHL).
If you're 23 or older, with 200+ professional/college games, there's not much "adjustment" left.

So they'd be my priorities this season, find out who is a NHL player and it what role.
mike knuble says hi. (just kidding, but seriously)

• Love
Reactions: Strawberry Fields

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
All of this is an inconvenience the same way shooting yourself in the foot is an inconvenience. Sure, you can probably still get around, but go ahead and toss any chance of winning a foot race out the window.
Short term: I can't walk, I can only hobble
Medium term: I am slowly losing blood
Long term: Gangrene has set in

They spend on analytics just to ignore them.
Maybe the plan is to hire the best analysts simply to keep them away from clubs that would actually listen to them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
mike knuble says hi. (just kidding, but seriously)
There are always late bloomers, but if a guy is seriously bad at the NHL level, odds are you can waive him and send him down to the AHL and give him a chance to turn it around.
Right now, with injuries, a lot of marginal prospects are getting a chance to audition for jobs, if they seize the opportunity, more power to them.
But how many chances do you give to an older prospect when there are younger prospects who deserve that opportunity this spring or next season?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Last win: 11/8

Upcoming 10 games:
11/29 NYI
12/1 TB
12/3 NJ
12/5 COL
12/7 WSH
12/9 VGK
12/11 ARI
12/13 COL
12/15 NJ
12/17 NYR

You know management has done a tremendous job when the team they built has an excellent chance at not winning for an entire, real time month. Maybe even a month and a half! With some luck they can push this baby to 20

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Welp, Charlie said it:

"Ownership essentially rubber-stamped a rebuild year this season, without officially calling it one. You know what happens in a rebuild year? The team loses — a lot. So firing Fletcher as a reaction to the losses that on some level they knew were coming doesn’t make a lot of sense. Perhaps they didn’t think it was going to be quite this bad, but they knew it would probably going to be bad, especially once it became clear that Ryan Ellis and Couturier weren’t riding in anytime soon to save the day."

I don't think it saves Chuck, but it does show they didn't hire Torts as a quick turnaround artist, and why they didn't go after JG.
I still contend it was the interview process that opened their eyes, I'm sure potential candidates did not want to promise a quick turnaround and gave them a reality check with regard to this team.

If they fire Chuck, it'll be at the end of the season and part of a house cleaning, which you need to do after the season b/c you can't easily replace people mid-season. Problem is who in the organization could preside over a reorganization?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Everything indicated the higher ups wanted Gaudreau and were unhappy Fletcher couldn’t pull it off. Nothing indicated Fletcher didn’t want him; he just put himself in a position where it was impossible. That’s not about having a realistic long term vision; it’s about painting himself into a corner. Is that good management?

Dave Scott is THE voice of ownership, and we were told Fletcher (who has never done a rebuild and makes moves always contrary to one) wanted to rebuild in spite of ownership promising a competitive team. Brave visionary Chuck Fletcher. So, which is it? In the end, as we’ve said countless times, falling flat on your face, with no assets to speak of, isn’t a rebuild. It’s just incompetence. To no one’s surprise, even if Fletcher was directed to rebuild (only after he f***ed up so badly — and their definition of rebuild might be a 1-2 year delusion), he’s handling it about as poorly as he handled the directive to win.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Welp, Charlie said it:

"Ownership essentially rubber-stamped a rebuild year this season, without officially calling it one. You know what happens in a rebuild year? The team loses — a lot. So firing Fletcher as a reaction to the losses that on some level they knew were coming doesn’t make a lot of sense. Perhaps they didn’t think it was going to be quite this bad, but they knew it would probably going to be bad, especially once it became clear that Ryan Ellis and Couturier weren’t riding in anytime soon to save the day."

I don't think it saves Chuck, but it does show they didn't hire Torts as a quick turnaround artist, and why they didn't go after JG.
I still contend it was the interview process that opened their eyes, I'm sure potential candidates did not want to promise a quick turnaround and gave them a reality check with regard to this team.

If they fire Chuck, it'll be at the end of the season and part of a house cleaning, which you need to do after the season b/c you can't easily replace people mid-season. Problem is who in the organization could preside over a reorganization?

If they rubberstamped a rebuild and then ever since have acted as far opposite of a rebuilding team as possible, is that good management?

Reactions: YP44

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
They are not rebuilding. Bullshit x 100.

The minute they have cap space, or the contract slot they will use up both immediately.

This FO would be much happier just missing the playoffs, but being able to say how the team was resurrected this season.

This is nothing but forced losses, it wasn’t planned in any way.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
A rebuild for one season but not longer than that?

That's a retool. No team can rebuild nor has ever been rebuilt after a single season.
Yup
With a rookie Mario Lemieux, the Pens put a whopping 53 points. And Bedard ain’t Mario Lemieux. Even if they replaced everyone in management with competent people tomorrow they are a minimum of 3 years and probably closer to 5 years away from being good. Yes, it’s that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad